Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
Yes, it is the feeling of oneness with the machine, which can come in many forms ...

Try sometime when on AutoCross to pick up the pace when on a decreasing interval slalom (when one should actually be slowing down) and letting her go into severe oversteer, where you're hanging the back end out ... waaaay out - such that the next slalom cone is being squarely viewed through your side windows instead of the windshield ... and then getting through clean without even nicking a cone.

FWIW, this is something that's become a real challenge to still do today, with all of the digital stability/ABS/Traction/etc nanny electronics.

-hh

I would imagine that is nearly impossible to do in a front wheel drive car, right? At least without pulling the e-brake.

----------

I honestly think it has to do with my acceleration. If I shift too high in 1st (3k) at slow speeds then the engine kinda wobbles when going into 2nd or jerks a little, so I take it as I'm shifting too early or not rev matching properly. If I shift too low, then it still jerks a little as its still not moving too much. The majority of the time, I can shift smoothly into 2nd, but I was to get more consistent.

To be honest, I find driving a manual kind of rewarding. I mean, I feel good shifting through gears and then remembering my dad driving this from NY to GA to spend 6 hours holding my hand through all the frustrations, stalling, re-explanations, etc... He even admitted he was terrified of me driving this in Atlanta traffic. But I've been all over midtown and haven't stalled in a good while. Finally was about to conquer steep inclines, though. THAT is a bitch to learn on your first few attempts.
I shift from first to second generally between 3k - and 4.5k (bout halfway up the rev meter), or around 6-7k when I need some get-go ;) Again though, I wouldn't be the person to ask, the only manual I've driven long enough to talk about it is a Honda civic...

I must say though, steep inclines are fun, especially on the interstate! Going 75 and shifting into 4th and hearing the engine roar.. Passing semis going 20mph slower... Fun!

Edit: actually we have a mountain pass around 3 hours away that we drive a few times in the summer. I learned the hard way going up that with a stick.. Having to downshift into 3rd to keep from killing the brakes at 65 still scares me sometimes...

MegamanX

macrumors regular
May 13, 2013
I honestly think it has to do with my acceleration. If I shift too high in 1st (3k) at slow speeds then the engine kinda wobbles when going into 2nd or jerks a little, so I take it as I'm shifting too early or not rev matching properly. If I shift too low, then it still jerks a little as its still not moving too much. The majority of the time, I can shift smoothly into 2nd, but I was to get more consistent.

It is not so much you shifting to early or late/ rev matching issue. It is more you are hooking up the engine to the tranny to quickly and not letting it line up first.

The trick to killing that is to pause slightly at the engagement point of the clutch. It will let the engine RPM line up with the tranny. Now getting that part right is an art form that takes time. If you watch me shift chances are you would not notices that slight pause at that point. It looks like a very smooth and fast operation with no jerk but there is a very slight pause at that engagement point. I have taught multiple people to drive a stick. What I have noticed between experience and inexperience stick drivers is the inexperience's ones still have the slowly letting out the clutch and letting it slip more on starting and they lack that pausing motion the shifts. They basically dump the clutch way to quickly when shifting or they are way to slow after the shift.
Experience stick drivers everything is a smooth and fairly fast motion. Their are pause or slow down points in every shift but we also know where the engagement points are so outside of those areas we can move very fast.
You will also see experience stick drivers will combined several motions at one time. For example I am starting my gear shifting motions with my right hand the second my left foot touches the pedal. My car shifts into the next gear the second the clutch hits the floor. The entire process is one motion. Inexperience stick drivers will do clutch to the floor, Shift to next gear, let the clutch out in 3 separate and deliberate motions. It needs to be all 1 motion.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I learned to drive on a stick which turned out to be a blessing.

My first few cars then were sticks (cheaper than an automatic) and at one point I even got my (at the time) dream car, a Mazda Miata which of course was a 5 speed and I got to enjoy the feel of a roadster.

Now I have all automatics as I got sick of all the shifting as I became older. ;)

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
It is not so much you shifting to early or late/ rev matching issue. It is more you are hooking up the engine to the tranny to quickly and not letting it line up first.

The trick to killing that is to pause slightly at the engagement point of the clutch. It will let the engine RPM line up with the tranny. Now getting that part right is an art form that takes time. If you watch me shift chances are you would not notices that slight pause at that point. It looks like a very smooth and fast operation with no jerk but there is a very slight pause at that engagement point. I have taught multiple people to drive a stick. What I have noticed between experience and inexperience stick drivers is the inexperience's ones still have the slowly letting out the clutch and letting it slip more on starting and they lack that pausing motion the shifts. They basically dump the clutch way to quickly when shifting or they are way to slow after the shift.
Experience stick drivers everything is a smooth and fairly fast motion. Their are pause or slow down points in every shift but we also know where the engagement points are so outside of those areas we can move very fast.
You will also see experience stick drivers will combined several motions at one time. For example I am starting my gear shifting motions with my right hand the second my left foot touches the pedal. My car shifts into the next gear the second the clutch hits the floor. The entire process is one motion. Inexperience stick drivers will do clutch to the floor, Shift to next gear, let the clutch out in 3 separate and deliberate motions. It needs to be all 1 motion.

This.
The thing with inexperienced drivers is usually not that the let the clutch out too slow or too fast, but that they don't know at what points to pause when shifting. Great way of saying it!

Last edited:

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I have the ability to drive a stick. But it's been years, and I would only ever want to if it was the only car available to me or maybe if I ended up on some car track somehow.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
It pretty much already has. In 2010, under 4% of new cars had manual transmissions.

In the US of A. That also doesn't seem to include sub models.

A Corvette or a Mustang will typically be a stick in a higher trim model.

In Europe and Asia, well over half the cars are manuals.

----------

[/COLOR]

Do not be so sure of that. Economics of scale kick in and autos are becoming cheaper to make and manuals are becoming your one offs. That means the tranny is going to cost more to make as few of them are going to be needed.

Also fuel economy the autos are going to win out as time goes one. Big time with the CVTs

That won't mean it will kill the manual, many people who drive sports cars and muscle cars still want a real transmission, and will be willing to pay for it.

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
Give me a clutch and a gear stick, because I'm a mans man and want a mans car.

So HMMWVs aren't men's cars because they have automatic transmissions?

Or for that matter, most modern high end sports cars that are all moving to clutch pedal-less DCTs?

I would imagine that is nearly impossible to do in a front wheel drive car, right? At least without pulling the e-brake.

Left foot braking.

In the US of A. That also doesn't seem to include sub models.

A Corvette or a Mustang will typically be a stick in a higher trim model.

In Europe and Asia, well over half the cars are manuals.

Depends on where in Asia. Japan has the highest automatic take rate in the world at over 95% (anyone who tells you otherwise has never been there and is quoting the same wrong source). Korea's about the same, as are most of the developed countries.

China and SE Asia people get manuals because they're still very price sensitive.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
The fact manual cars are rare in the US just shows how lazy your country truly is I guess.

I could drive a manual since I was 16.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I can and do drive a manual (I learned on a Renault Dauphine way back when), but let's face it, since I got into motorcycling a year ago ALL cars (even the most fun manuals) are BORING!!! I keep my car for when I have to go shopping and bring back a large cargo, but otherwise it is the bike all the way for me now.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
.......really?

Well yeah, I mean how hard is it to use a clutch? Once you bother to learn it, you never even have to think about it again, aside from when you're getting used to a new car. It's just laziness if you don't bother learning how to drive a proper car.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Well yeah, I mean how hard is it to use a clutch? Once you bother to learn it, you never even have to think about it again, aside from when you're getting used to a new car. It's just laziness if you don't bother learning how to drive a proper car.

What makes a car with a clutch a "proper car"?

My car serves one main purpose: get me from point A to point B. Some secondary purposes include keeping me cool/warm and playing music. Why on earth would I feel the need to constantly switch in and out of gears? I live in a city with a lot of traffic, and a lot of stop and go. The very last thing I want to do is switch gears every 5 seconds during stop and go traffic.

I don't do any sort of car acrobatics that in any way would require me to have a manual, so why would I want one?

My first car was a manual. I know how to drive one. I have no desire to.

I think G51989's quote sums it up perfectly:
"Give me a clutch and a gear stick, because I'm a mans man and want a mans car."

This has to do with feeling manly, not laziness.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009

My car serves one main purpose: get me from point A to point B. Some secondary purposes include keeping me cool/warm and playing music. Why on earth would I feel the need to constantly switch in and out of gears? I live in a city with a lot of traffic, and a lot of stop and go. The very last thing I want to do is switch gears every 5 seconds during stop and go traffic.

I don't do any sort of car acrobatics that in any way would require me to have a manual, so why would I want one?

"Give me a clutch and a gear stick, because I'm a mans man and want a mans car."

G51989 has a slight point. In the UK the vast majority of people who drive automatics are women. Usually because they don't really care about cars as much as guys do.

You seem to have the same mentality. You don't really care about cars, you just want something to easily get you around, so you went the lazy route. You said it yourself, you have an automatic because you can't be assed to change gears. Which is fine if it works for you, but it's still the lazy option.

Fact is, having a proper manual car allows you to control your car properly rather than trusting a computer to do half the work for you. I like to be in full control of my vehicle. Manual cars also tend to have better fuel economy.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
So HMMWVs aren't men's cars because they have automatic transmissions?

While I'm sure more than a few people will argue with me off road automatic's are better but that is unique to that specific situation.

Or for that matter, most modern high end sports cars that are all moving to clutch pedal-less DCTs?

And this a true shame and why most super cars have no soul left.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
And this a true shame and why most super cars have no soul left.

It's also exactly why I'll be trading In my c6 grand sport for a c7 stingray.

Just as fast as most of the exotics, and with a real transmission.

Ever drove an f430 with a proper transmission vs the paddle shifters?

Night and day. Shame it was the last Ferrari with a proper transmission.

A DSG might be a little bit faster, but its not half the fun of a stick shift.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004

Here is a better way to put it than G5. You view your car as an appliance. A to B, that's it. People who are car guys and passionate about them feel connected to the car when they drive a stick.

If I was in your situation and driving in the city, yeah I would get an automatic too(DCT's are awesome). But, I do get the lure of the stick because I am a car guy and love them. I am more about what is between A and B than getting from A to B. I drove the Buick Regal GS around GM's milford proving grounds( also known as the Lutz Ring) when it came out 2 years ago. And it was a complete blast driving that thing hard and rowing my own gears. I felt more engaged with the car as I was braking for corners and accelerating out of them.

Plus, driving a manual would be a great way to reduce texting and driving. ;)

Though I do admit I currently drive an automatic( only choice with my car). :eek:

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
You seem to have the same mentality. You don't really care about cars, you just want something to easily get you around, so you went the lazy route. You said it yourself, you have an automatic because you can't be assed to change gears. Which is fine if it works for you, but it's still the lazy option.

I'm not sure "lazy" is the right word. Lazy implies that there is a better way to do something, but you're not doing something as well as you should...like you're just a slob laying on the couch. It's certainly got a negative connotation. Am I lazy for using a computer do do my site plans, instead of drawing them with a pen and paper? Am I lazy for using a calculator to figure out trig instead of doing it on paper? Am I lazy for writing scripts which accomplish tasks that I repeat dozens of times an hour with one click? Easier? Sure. Lazy? I don't think so.

Here is a better way to put it than G5. You view your car as an appliance. A to B, that's it. People who are car guys and passionate about them feel connected to the car when they drive a stick.

Indeed. Of course. Guys who love cars will want all sorts of options to make it do things. I get in my car and drive to where I'm going. I don't need to feel the transmission, listen to the revs, engage clutches, drift, spin, or feel oneness with the machine. Nothing wrong with that. I wouldn't call it lazy, just not interested. Many people can get by with an iPad. I have a hard time without a 17" screen (bare minimum) and a mouse. Are those who only use iPads lazy? Certainly not.

Now, to the earlier point that not learning to drive a stick might stem from laziness, there could be some truth to that. I think learning to drive a stick is important. But there's nothing wrong with not choosing a stick.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Another benefit of getting a manual transmission in the US..... With less and less people knowing how to drive a stick, it's a great theft deterrent device. And it doesn't cost you a thing! They may break in and steal whatever is lose in the car, etc, but the car will still be there. ;)

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
It pretty much already has. In 2010, under 4% of new cars had manual transmissions.

Where?

the vast majority of cars sold in australia are now small (~2L shopping carts).

Most of these are manual - because with only 2L or so, an auto car is a total slug.

Auto gearbox in anything with less than 4-5L of displacement sucks.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
Manual (stick) shift cars are rare today and I'm wondering how many people still know how to drive them. How did you learn and do you have a desire to own one?

First drove a stick shift. Like riding a bicycle, it's something one doesn't forget how to do. Fun if you like to drive, excepting of course when stuck in a traffic jam.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I'm not sure "lazy" is the right word. Lazy implies that there is a better way to do something, but you're not doing something as well as you should...like you're just a slob laying on the couch. It's certainly got a negative connotation. Am I lazy for using a computer do do my site plans, instead of drawing them with a pen and paper? Am I lazy for using a calculator to figure out trig instead of doing it on paper? Am I lazy for writing scripts which accomplish tasks that I repeat dozens of times an hour with one click? Easier? Sure. Lazy? I don't think so.
Exactly. I ride a motorcycle but if I lived and worked downtown I would probably ride a scooter instead, simply because the automatic of a scooter is better suited to the slow stop and go traffic of downtown. But I don't think I would be lazy to do so.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Exactly. I ride a motorcycle but if I lived and worked downtown I would probably ride a scooter instead, simply because the automatic of a scooter is better suited to the slow stop and go traffic of downtown. But I don't think I would be lazy to do so.

You ride a bike or a scooter every day?

I wouldn't feel safe at all.

----------

If I was in your situation and driving in the city, yeah I would get an automatic too(DCT's are awesome). But, I do get the lure of the stick because I am a car guy and love them. I am more about what is between A and B than getting from A to B. I drove the Buick Regal GS around GM's milford proving grounds( also known as the Lutz Ring) when it came out 2 years ago. And it was a complete blast driving that thing hard and rowing my own gears. I felt more engaged with the car as I was braking for corners and accelerating out of them.

Plus, driving a manual would be a great way to reduce texting and driving. ;)

Though I do admit I currently drive an automatic( only choice with my car). :eek:

Even in stop and go traffic, the clutch on my 2012 Grand Sport is so light and easy I hardly notice it, that and i can start it in 3rd pretty easily, and because its such a good clutch I can ride it at 10mph, and its just fine.

I feel that new cars aren't nearly as fun as old cars with all their silly electronics.

I still love my newer cars, they're a blast.

But my 1969 Z28 Camaro? By far my fave car, its got a simple old school Chevy 350, 4 barrel carburetors, heads, cam, free flowing exhaust, coupled to a Munchie 4 speed manual transmission, nothing beats it for sheer fun.

No ABS, no traction control, no airbags, no 3 point seatbelts, no silly onboard navigation yelling at you. Its just ass, car, road. And its making around 450 horsepower at the crank.

And despite being from 1969, it has decent suspension, the Z28s often would do well at Trans Am racing, coils up front, really good solid rear axle in the back ( one of the best for its time, this thing could outhandle a TR6! ) 4 wheel disc brakes, working radio.

No AC, the heat sucks, and I wouldn't trust it in a crash at all.

But when you pull up to someone else in a performance car at the red light, he looks, you look. you know its on.

Love the sheer low end torque from that 1960s modified V8 engine ( has been rebuilt ), some guy in an 350Z thinks he has a chance, you pull ahead, getting pushed back into your seat, you can feel the driveline vibrating through the gearshift, pounding that big heavy clutch and crushing that big huge throw on that Munchie 4 speed rock crusher transmission, smelling the unburned gas, getting to hear the engine for how it sounds, no Cats, no mufflers, no real resonator, just mostly a big straight pipe the whole way back, sounds GREAT, that snapping motion you get every time you change gears, great car.

Anyone who isn't a " car guy " needs to drive a car like my 69 Camaro and then they'll start liking cars.

Then its even more funny when you just whooped a guy in a car 40 years newer than yours ;)

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
The fact manual cars are rare in the US just shows how lazy your country truly is I guess.

I could drive a manual since I was 16.

Oh god, please stop. You're making yourself and the rest of us look like an idiot.

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
My Mazda 3 is stick shift. I didn't learn on manual but right after I got my license I stuck myself in a empty parking lot for a couple hours and got it. I've been driving my Mazda 3 since that day and I am absolutely loving it. Manual is a blast to drive, might suck in stop and go but all other times it's great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.