Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ionas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2003
Old Europe
Cannot find any free and good unarchiver for zip, rar, tar, bz2, gz, ace, z7, sit?!
(further compression formats would be great, but this is mainly what i need)
any ideas?

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
ionas said:
Cannot find any free and good unarchiver for zip, rar, tar, bz2, gz, ace, z7, sit?!
any ideas?

What’s wrong with Stuffit Expander?

Edit: OK, it can’t do .ace. But there are some apps for this, e.g. iUnacer.

ionas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2003
Old Europe
stuffit

first of all i dont know but i guess i cannot use it to compress stuff in formats like zip and rar.
2nd i cannot view archives before i unzip tzem
3rd it isnt the best app genreally.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
ionas said:
first of all i dont know but i guess i cannot use it to compress stuff in formats like zip and rar.
2nd i cannot view archives before i unzip tzem
3rd it isnt the best app genreally.

AFAIK, it can do zip and rar (though not all). But zip extraction is built-in in Panther and for rar I either use MacPar Deluxe or Gumby.

I don't know of any app that is as powerful as Stuffit, but perhaps someone else does.

I never understood why it is so important to look into a zip archive before decompressing, but ok. I don't know an app, that can do this though.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
I use the command line:
tar -xvf for tar
tar -zxvf for gz
unzip for zip

Lee Tom

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
LeeTom said:
I use the command line:
tar -xvf for tar
tar -zxvf for gz
unzip for zip

Lee Tom

I prefer to use gzip.

Code:
gzip -c9 ~/directory/directory/directory/ > ~/desktop/compressed\ gzip\ file.gz

For all my compression stuff, I just use the built in one. File>Create Archive.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
ionas said:
any ideas?

I am confused...you say "unarchiver" in this post, but later you say "I can not use it to compress stuff..."

Do you want to just decompress stuff or both compress and decompress? Those are two very different animals and to compress stuff sometimes means paying for a program to do so.

Stuff it is great and free to decompress, but I think they charge for compressing using stuff it...works sort of like Acrobat...the "reader" is free and usually built in now a days, but the "writer" is the one they make money off of.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
So a bunch of 7z files were just dropped in my lap... what's the program of choice- or any program that can unstuff them? Anyone know of any?
..or am I just missing something obvious (wouldn't be the first time).

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
flyfish29 said:
Stuff it is great and free to decompress, but I think they charge for compressing using stuff it
They only charge for the Deluxe version, which is pretty good. It adds a contextual menu add-on for the Finder, which lets you preview, compress, uncompress, and do a bunch of other stuff. I've heard that the new version (9) doesn't hog the Finder all to itself too ;) You can compress with Stuffit Standard, which comes with Expander, DropStuff, DropZip, and DropTar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.