Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tamvly

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2007
I had to restart the download many, many times. Finally it finished (it picks up where the download failed). Patience is a virtue.

Perhaps Apple was quite ready for the onslaught.

TwitchOSX

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2002
Southern Oregon
Happening here too. I even LEFT the beta program and re-joined to get a new code. Went to the app store again, the same OSX Yosemite is sitting in the Purchased window with the error so I tried to download again, and again, I get the stupid error.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
Finally after 30+ times the download finished on my DESKTOP. It was routed through ethernet and the ISP DNS servers.
Every time I found an ethernet connection to get me further than a wifi connection; maybe it provides a more stable connection to Apple's servers.
I would love to upload the installer, but that would be a breach of contract :( I did send a bug report through the Feedback Assistant about this, though.

Try ethernet, that's my two cents!

TwitchOSX

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2002
Southern Oregon
Finally after 30+ times the download finished on my DESKTOP. It was routed through ethernet and the ISP DNS servers.
Every time I found an ethernet connection to get me further than a wifi connection; maybe it provides a more stable connection to Apple's servers.
I would love to upload the installer, but that would be a breach of contract :( I did send a bug report through the Feedback Assistant about this, though.

Try ethernet, that's my two cents!

Well, I'm trying from my desktop so, it's not even attempting wifi. I'm hard wired in.

joefrank64k

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
***Dupe post for those following this thread***

Success!

I'm in the Los Angeles area, and I just kept restarting the download while I was busy doing other things on the net.

It's installing as I type (on the iPad Air right now).

Good luck to everyone else! Hang in there! :)

Jacksonc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2013
Jony's house

Success!

I'm in the Los Angeles area, and I just kept restarting the download while I was busy doing other things on the net.

Are you saying that it didn't work until you were doing other stuff on the internet?

joefrank64k

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
Are you saying that it didn't work until you were doing other stuff on the internet?

No, I tried doing nothing, doing something, closing everything, leaving everything running, etc. What worked was just restarting the download over and over. It took about 10-15 tries I think.

kcwjr

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
Santa Fe, NM
Sounds like its the luck of the draw. I have tried wifi and ethernet. Two different machines. Safe mode. Repeated downloads. So far I almost got to 4 GB once. Hard to imagine Apple wasn't ready for the number of people who were going to try this - but then again Murphy's law....

TwitchOSX

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2002
Southern Oregon

Success!

How in the hell are you installing this on an iPad Air? lol

melburstein

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2012
I'm trying to download the OS X Yosemite public beta, but it keeps jumping to 5.07 GB and then saying an error has occurred. Is this happening to anyone else?

I got that too. I reloaded Maverick and was then successful in downloading Yosemite.

alip7

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2014
I have the same problem, it just downloads around 300mb, it's been a day since it's out, I've cleared the app store cache, reseted my DNS and... Still no luck, tried downloading for 50+ times.

TwitchOSX

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2002
Southern Oregon
^ HAHA! :D

And it's done! So far, so good...I'm back on my MacBook Air and things are looking very Yosemite-y!!!

Sweet! Remember during the keynote, they were talking about the new names and they mentioned WEED, California? LOL. I used to work in Mt. Shasta right next to Weed and would drive through there every day. Actually took some college classes in Weed. I thought that was funny.

Sleix

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2003
Sacramento, CA
Ahh, for once...found some random backwoods no name DNS that originates in Florida and now I've broken the cursed 1GB mark...I hope that it makes it all the way this time!

EDIT: It did! :D Installing as we speak. Chose the SmartViper DNS server. (208.76.50.50 & 208.76.51.51)

Last edited:

vcuares

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2008
I got that too. I reloaded Maverick and was then successful in downloading Yosemite.

I don't know if it's just coincidence. I followed what you did. I simultaneously downloaded Mavericks and Yosemite - it worked!!!

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I finally got mine to finish around 2PM this afternoon. Working pretty well, but I have certainly found my fair share of bugs after only 10 minutes. I suppose that's why it's a beta :p. Glad I installed it on my secondary machine. FWIW, the download that succeeded came down the pipe a lot slower than all of my previous partial downloads.

pedrors

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2011
My code is redeemed and I cannot try anymore to download

I tried once to download and it jumped from 1 GB to 5.07GB and stopped.
When I try to download again, it says that the code has been already redeemed and I should enter the code of an iTunes Gift card?????
Does anyone knows what it means? Do I need a Gift Card??

Any help is welcome.

Jacksonc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2013
Jony's house
I tried once to download and it jumped from 1 GB to 5.07GB and stopped.
When I try to download again, it says that the code has been already redeemed and I should enter the code of an iTunes Gift card?????
Does anyone knows what it means? Do I need a Gift Card??

Any help is welcome.

That's the issue we're discussing. The fix for me seems to be downloading mavericks and Yosemite at the same time.

skiz

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2013
Sooooooooo I've been trying to download the beta since it went live yesterday. I logged in, received code, redeemed and started downloading it. However, my connection at time was a joke and I decided to wait to download it later in the day after the servers weren't so loaded. Now, it won't even download at all. As you can see from the pictures, it says "Waiting...", then it gives the error, but you can see, in the last photo, that it thinks (or assumes) that it is downloaded.

My question: Is there anyway to delete the file from my computer and try to re-download? I'm not sure if it may be in any system file folder or not...

THANKS!

This is the same problem I'm having now as well. I tried several times on Thursday and Friday and it kept failing, just like everyone else. I figured I'd wait and try again on Monday but now I can't even start the download. I get the same error as you second pic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.