Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pistol44

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2005
Konradx said:
any PC versions? :D ? and shouldnt their be a easy, carefree way of doing this? how dumb is apple to leave this out of itunes options

Actually, I was thinking what is dumb is that you're using Windoze.:cool:

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Chundles said:
Why is it dumb? The only way of getting TV shows into iTunes is by illegally ripping them. The only legal ones are from the Music Store and they come with the appropriate tags.
It's not illegal if you rip them from your store-bought DVDs.

Edit: Just tried the suggested tags. I think "Type" has to be "TV Shows" for iTunes to see it as such.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Counterfit said:
It's not illegal if you rip them from your store-bought DVDs.

Edit: Just tried the suggested tags. I think "Type" has to be "TV Shows" for iTunes to see it as such.

Yes it is illegal. Breaking the copy protection of a DVD and/or encoding it to another format is most definitely illegal under the DMCA. Totally different story for CD's but ripping DVD's unless they are your DVD's of your footage that you shot is 100% illegal.

I use "TV Show" as the type tag and it works perfectly.

RaoulDuke

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2005
Chundles said:
Yes it is illegal. Breaking the copy protection of a DVD and/or encoding it to another format is most definitely illegal under the DMCA.

You do realize that not everyone lives in a country like the USA, and therefore is not necessarily governed by a law like the DMCA right?

In some countries people still have fair use laws and guidelines in place which allow you to transfer content from one storage medium to another.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
Chundles said:
Why is it dumb? The only way of getting TV shows into iTunes is by illegally ripping them. The only legal ones are from the Music Store and they come with the appropriate tags.

How does one legally obtain movies?

PS: You also neglect the possibility of digitizing televised TV shows.

Besides, I believe that reverse engineering of DVD encryption is legally justified on the grounds of interoperability, that is compatibility with iPod.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
RaoulDuke said:
You do realize that not everyone lives in a country like the USA, and therefore is not necessarily governed by a law like the DMCA right?

In some countries people still have fair use laws and guidelines in place which allow you to transfer content from one storage medium to another.

Counterfit however, does live in the USA and as such is indeed bound to the DMCA laws. So my statement stands.

And yes I do realise that not everybody lives in the USA. Did you see under my picture? I had to read some of Counterfit's blog to find out where he came from before I told him it was illegal, I'm not just sprouting incorrect advice mate.

Next time pay attention.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
savar said:
How does one legally obtain movies?

PS: You also neglect the possibility of digitizing televised TV shows.

1. buy them on DVD/VHS
2. you said it yourself, kinda. TiVo-ToGo now allows you to take the shows (or movies) you've recorded and convert them so that you can put them on your ipod. this may, however, be windows only, so i'm not sure.

jephrey

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2005
Thank you... Atomic Parsley 0.7.6 is working like a champ for me.

Jephrey

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
asherman13 said:
1. buy them on DVD/VHS
2. you said it yourself, kinda. TiVo-ToGo now allows you to take the shows (or movies) you've recorded and convert them so that you can put them on your ipod. this may, however, be windows only, so i'm not sure.

I was talking about digital video, of course. My point is if Apple won't let us tag TV shows because they're "illegal", then why let us tag movies? Its just really ridiculous not to allow users to organize content however they want, and the fact that my family guys eps are "movies" and not TV shows means I I can't navigate through them easily.

Its the same thing as cell phone companies that cripple BT on phones so you don't go around putting your own content on the phone -- they want to force you to go through their network, even if that means less overall functionality.

norville

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
Lostify 0.2

Hi folks,

Lostify 0.2 has been released. It includes the latest version of AtomicParsley (which fixes the "extra underscore in iTunes" bug), includes an easier-to-use user interface, and supports setting specific tags to be automatically be used across as many files as you want. Please check it out and let me know what you think.

Lostify 0.2

starnox

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
Looks good. I get the error:

Applescript Error
The variable result is not defined. (-2753)

And my locked preferences aren't saved...

norville

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
starnox said:
Looks good. I get the error:

Applescript Error
The variable result is not defined. (-2753)

And my locked preferences aren't saved...
Ah well... seems I'm not much for testing, doesn't it?

--edit-- Okay, I reproduced the error message, and I'll get that fixed tonight.

As far as the locked settings not being saved... right now it only saves them if you click Apply, not Skip. Does that explain what you're seeing? If so, does it make sense? Now that I think about it, maybe it should just always save the locked settings, regardless of whether you Apply them to the current file or Skip it.

starnox

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
norville said:
Ah well... seems I'm not much for testing, doesn't it?

--edit-- Okay, I reproduced the error message, and I'll get that fixed tonight.

As far as the locked settings not being saved... right now it only saves them if you click Apply, not Skip. Does that explain what you're seeing? If so, does it make sense? Now that I think about it, maybe it should just always save the locked settings, regardless of whether you Apply them to the current file or Skip it.

Yeah I clicked reply. Might be related to the error above. Will test it again once that is fixed.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
so, i've got a bit of an odd thing goin' on. i lostified the final two episodes of the 2nd season of The West Wing from my DVD's, and now my ipod shows two diff. tv shows for the west wing, and both have the exact same episodes and seasons under them. what i mean is, i have a repetitive menu for this particular tv show, after lostifing two episodes. anybody know any particular reason why this is happening? it's not so much a problem as it is a nuisance...

EDIT could be caused by something in Lostify? otherwise i'll start a thread...

norville

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
asherman13 said:
so, i've got a bit of an odd thing goin' on. i lostified the final two episodes of the 2nd season of The West Wing from my DVD's, and now my ipod shows two diff. tv shows for the west wing, and both have the exact same episodes and seasons under them. what i mean is, i have a repetitive menu for this particular tv show, after lostifing two episodes. anybody know any particular reason why this is happening? it's not so much a problem as it is a nuisance...

EDIT could be caused by something in Lostify? otherwise i'll start a thread...

asherman13 -- this is probably related to a bug that was fixed in AtomicParsley, which is used by Lostify. The way it used to embed text values in the mpeg-4 files (in previous versions) actually had an invisible garbage character at the end. This has been fixed in the latest release, so the garbage characters are no longer inserted--but this means that iTunes and the iPod can sometimes understand as different shows what should be the same. As to why all episodes show up under each show on the iPod, I have no idea... but what happens in iTunes??

It is unfortunate, but the only way to work around the problem (if you see something like asherman13 describes) is to re-apply the tags using Lostify 0.2 or AtomicParsley 0.7.6. It was in anticipation of problems like this that I added the checkbox at the bottom left of Lostify. That, combined with the new field locking feature, should make it relatively easy to clean up files with problematic tags.

Hope it works out!

norville

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
starnox said:
Might be related to the error above. Will test it again once that is fixed.
starnox -- try Lostify 0.2.1 (same link as above) -- it has the Applescript error corrected, and it remembers changes to locked fields regardless of whether you click Apply or Skip. Let me know if it works for you!

Cheers!

ToastMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2005
Tacoma, WA
The AtomicParsley site says: "The core of AtomicParsley is low-level, independant of Quicktime and should be easy to port to other platforms."

What exactly does this mean? I'm not very savvy with using Mac programs on windows (if indeed that is what it implies), so how would I "port" AtomicParsley to work on Windows on my PC?

mustard

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2005
NJ
Video Preview

I have been using Lostify to modify my video files and was wondering if there is any known way to change the associated artwork that is displayed under the video section of iTunes. I have a bunch of family guy episodes and they are all the same and difficult to see what is what.

Probably can't be done but it doesn't hurt to ask.

croshtique

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Cambridge, UK
You can either:
Get Info on the file, then you can edit/add an image to the Artwork pane (as you would for a music file)
Or:
Find a suitable frame when the video is playing, ctrl/right-click on the player and choose "Set Poster Frame" and that will be used as the 'artwork'.

mustard

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2005
NJ
Thanks

croshtique said:
You can either:
Get Info on the file, then you can edit/add an image to the Artwork pane (as you would for a music file)
Or:
Find a suitable frame when the video is playing, ctrl/right-click on the player and choose "Set Poster Frame" and that will be used as the 'artwork'.

Thanks a bunch

norville

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
mustard said:
I have been using Lostify to modify my video files and was wondering if there is any known way to change the associated artwork that is displayed under the video section of iTunes. I have a bunch of family guy episodes and they are all the same and difficult to see what is what.
FWIW, the more videos I add to iTunes, the less useful I find the "thumbnail" style view of the Videos section. I don't know whether everyone has noticed or not, but you can switch the video listing to a list-style view (see the upper-right corner of the listing), and then everything becomes much easier to see: you don't have to rely so much on the cover art to pick one episode from another.

Sorry if everybody already knew this.

norville

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
ToastMaster said:
What exactly does this mean? I'm not very savvy with using Mac programs on windows (if indeed that is what it implies), so how would I "port" AtomicParsley to work on Windows on my PC?
"Porting" refers to the process a programmer goes through when he takes software that was written for one architecture (such as the Mac, or Linux), and adapts it to run on another architecture (such as Windows). It is not something that an end-user/non-programmer can typically do. So you have to understand "easy" in very relative terms. ;)

mustard

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2005
NJ
I figured as much but

norville said:
FWIW, the more videos I add to iTunes, the less useful I find the "thumbnail" style view of the Videos section. I don't know whether everyone has noticed or not, but you can switch the video listing to a list-style view (see the upper-right corner of the listing), and then everything becomes much easier to see: you don't have to rely so much on the cover art to pick one episode from another.

Sorry if everybody already knew this.

I am aware of the list view but it just bugs me when I am not using list view because with the family guy episodes because they all have this blurred streak from the intro and I would rather it be consistent and at least show a clear picture.

Butters

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2006
UK
mustard said:
I am aware of the list view but it just bugs me when I am not using list view because with the family guy episodes because they all have this blurred streak from the intro and I would rather it be consistent and at least show a clear picture.

You can actually set your own pictures for movies. Just start playing a video and pause it on the frame you want to be your thumbnail picture then Ctrl or right click on the actual video (In the the "Now Playing" box or window) and click set poster frame, that frame should now be your thumbnail pic

It's what I've done with all my videos including all my episodes of Family Guy.. it's kinda fun at first finding the best frame for the episode :) but if you have lots videos it can take a while

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.