Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yellowbean12

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
Still doesn't sync iCloud tabs, still doesn't do handoff, and still doesn't bloody scroll smoothly.

Meh, meh, meh. Back to Safari for me. I've honestly no idea why anyone would ever use Chrome on OS X.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Still doesn't sync iCloud tabs, still doesn't do handoff, and still doesn't bloody scroll smoothly.

Meh, meh, meh. Back to Safari for me. I've honestly no idea why anyone would ever use Chrome on OS X.

google's browser doesn't sync icloud tabs? not surprising. However, it can sync tabs across chrome browsers.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
It really is quite a lot quicker in terms of starting up.

Hmm, well there are still some offenders in my activity monitor, probably the most embarrassing one being Dropbox.
Come on guys... The 64bit architecture arrived on the first home computers before you founded your company!
Especially so with Macs.

Glassed Silver:mac

What benefit would be derived from moving a lightweight client to 64bit?

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Safari is great and all, but does no good when people use a mac AND Windows PC. If they had a valid Safari for windows that was continually updated, that would be a different story. At least with chrome, you can sync bookmarks/profiles over different devices AND platforms

This is my #1 reason for using Chrome. No matter which device I chose for browsing (OSX, Android, or Windows), my profile carries over. Plus I genuinely like Chrome.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

1) Testing purposes with web design etc.

2) For some people, there may be websites that (for whatever reason) do not function like they should in Safari.

3) Some people like the cross platform sync ability

There are a lot of reasons. It doesn't matter whether you understand or agree with the actions of others in this regard.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal

Scrolls smoothly for me on OS X and Windows 7. :confused:

No reason to use Chrome then there is Safari and DuckDuckGo

It's been said but...

1) Extensions

2) Syncing across all platforms (open tabs, bookmarks, extensions, etc.)

Chrome is also has the most market share out of all the browsers. (Not that market really matters though. If it did I'd be primarily a Windows and iOS user).

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Does it do push notifications yet? Waiting for that functionality to expand beyond Safari. It's been over a year already.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Is the one you downloaded from the we site 64-bit, one would never know by the information there. What is the version number? My installed is at 39.0.2171.62 Beta and says it is up to date.

I downloaded direct from Google earlier.

Version 39.0.2171.65 (64-bit)

----------

FYI, 1Password is not currently working with Chrome 39.

It is working for me.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Safari is great and all, but does no good when people use a mac AND Windows PC. If they had a valid Safari for windows that was continually updated, that would be a different story. At least with chrome, you can sync bookmarks/profiles over different devices AND platforms

Its a good point, something Firefox and Chrome has that Apple does not.

I still run Safari despite that, its just such a good experience on OS X and its integration with associated iOS iThingy's.

I do wish Apple would reinstate Windows Safari and go to the 64 bit codebase that it used for OS X for years (they were still using Safari 32 bit for Windows which OS X left behind in Tiger (?) days and its experience in Windows was sad...I still run the last version for Windows for specific reasons occasionally - and reminds me of how bad the user experience was.

Last edited:

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
the biggest advantage to safari over chrome for me is the light double tap to zoom in and out. chrome doesn't do it.

tanlis

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
I downloaded direct from Google earlier.

Version 39.0.2171.65 (64-bit)

----------

It is working for me.

Weird. I have two computers that it's not working for me. Both won't respond to the ⌘\ and if I click the 1Password icon in menu bar or hit ⌥⌘\ it displays the "Add Chrome Extension..."

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
Nice. I keep meaning to try Chrome more thoroughly, but Safari does the job so far. I've tried using Chrome to sync open tabs between my Mac and my Nexus 7, but it required burrowing down a few menus to access the open tabs on each device. Safari wins hands down on syncing tabs/bookmarks between devices.

One thing that bugs me about Safari is the bookmark manager. It used to be a little better but Apple keep removing features and their new sidebar bookmarks are hideous. Low contrast, abnormal folder appearance and behavior, and tedious management. Feels more like using Windows than a Mac. I'm afraid to try Yosemite for fear of Apple having further ruined Safari.

jbryant705

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2011
Weird. I have two computers that it's not working for me. Both won't respond to the ⌘\ and if I click the 1Password icon in menu bar or hit ⌥⌘\ it displays the "Add Chrome Extension..."

Try the beta version of the extension maybe?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I know little about programing at this point, but doesn't 64-bit use more memory?

If Chrome was the last application you have that was 32-bit (as others have said - most applications swapped to 64-bit ~5 years ago), then it was the last reason your computer was loading 32-bit libraries into memory. Now that Chrome is 64-bit (and all the rest of your applications are, too), your computer no longer needs to load 32-bit libraries, just 64-bit libraries, which should result in a smaller memory footprint overall.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
If Chrome was the last application you have that was 32-bit (as others have said - most applications swapped to 64-bit ~5 years ago), then it was the last reason your computer was loading 32-bit libraries into memory. Now that Chrome is 64-bit (and all the rest of your applications are, too), your computer no longer needs to load 32-bit libraries, just 64-bit libraries, which should result in a smaller memory footprint overall.

Interesting, I wasn't aware of that. Thank you.

Sadly then, Office is still 32-bit and I doubt that will change with Office:2015.

mikeray

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Safari is bad though. Looks good, but still one of the slower browsers. And huge lack of extensions for people who like that. And Adblock is bad on Safari because of API restrictions (can't block a lot of pre-roll type ads).

Nope, it's not slow at all, you need to get up to date ;)

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Is the one you downloaded from the we site 64-bit, one would never know by the information there. What is the version number? My installed is at 39.0.2171.62 Beta and says it is up to date.

Yes, it is. I just checked my "About Google Chrome" and it's now version 39 (64-bit)

----------

By the way, does anyone know if Java 7 will work inside Chrome now?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.