Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lowercaseperson

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2006
Moving forward...

I transitioned from Chrome to Safari when Handoff was announced, and although I don't use Handoff a ton - I think it's a premonition of future OS X / iOS integration. I don't know why I would leave the Safari platform now, especially since Apple has so blatantly poised it as the future OS X and iOS.

viizi

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
I think their laughing at how high the version number is.

I don't really get it either; it's not like the numbers suddenly stop being arbitrary when they go below 10.

I just think it sounds unusual. Kinda like getting every last breath out of something before something new. If you say I am number 10 in the world at a certain activity. People will think you're pretty good. If you say I am number 682 in the world, they will be just like "oh cool.." Surely Chrome could keep their version number as point updates. Has Chrome completely changed 38 times since v1? lol

Thunderboltedge

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2014
Milan
Damn i should have avoid installing it.

it does not recognize silverlight so now sky will not be available there.
i also installed it again but it keeps saying that i need to install it

Renzatic

Suspended
Wow, hilarious that this myth is still floating around. Ignorance knows no bounds on the internet. There's not much point discussing this with you further, as you're just reciting 2006 talking points. When you demonstrate that you actually know something about CPUs we can talk.

Rather than call someone out on their ignorance, then leaving without saying a word contrary, why don't you demonstrate you know what you're talking about instead?

vanc

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2007
On Mavericks, Chrome 39 64-bit still beats Safari with 190ms vs. 220ms on my 2012 rMBP in Sunspider 1.0.2.

Thunderboltedge

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2014
Milan
I was reading about what was supporting the 64bit version and i found this:

"The only major caveat seems to be a lack of support for 32-bit NPAPI plug-ins — but with the exception of a few lesser-known plug-ins, most major plug-ins, including Silverlight, Java, and Flash have all been updated to 64-bit. That’s a small price to pay for increased speed, security, and (according to Google) twice the stability of 32-bit Chrome, though"

Does it means that it is supported silverlight or not?
Someone has got any problem with watching silverlight on the browser?

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Rather than call someone out on their ignorance, then leaving without saying a word contrary, why don't you demonstrate you know what you're talking about instead?
I don't waste time on people who make 10 year old claims without evidence. Sorry.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don't waste time on people who make 10 year old claims without evidence. Sorry.
Seems like we all agree that claims without evidence are not useful. Seeing that yours fall into that area all to nicely, at least that certainly clarifies it all.

Last edited:

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
From what I've seen both of you post around here, I'd say MagnusVonMagnum knows considerably more about the subject than you do.
That would explain why he can't cite any evidence to back up him 1990s claims about 64 bit computing, wouldn't it? You know he was a recently fired Qualcomm PR lackey, right?

His drivel about not needing 64 bit for apps using less than 4GB RAM is such a common misconception it is even debunked as suck on Wikipedia. Ouch. But yeah, he's the guy who knows his stuff.

Last edited:

Renzatic

Suspended
That would explain why he can't cite any evidence to back up him 1990s claims about 64 bit computing, wouldn't it? You know he was a recently fired Qualcomm PR lackey, right?

His drivel about not needing 64 bit for apps using less than 4GB RAM is such a common misconception it is even debunked as suck on Wikipedia. Ouch. But yeah, he's the guy who knows his stuff.

It's not debunked, rather, as the Wikipedia article states, is not entirely true. Applications that see the largest boost from 32-bit to 64-bit tend to be the ones that crunch through data rather heavily, and those apps tend to be the ones that tend to need more ram to do their thing. Things like data compression utilities, higher res photo editing, movie editing, rendering, all that stuff. A well programmed application in any of those categories will see a substantial boost jumping from 32 to 64-bit, even on a machine with 4GB or less.

But your average application will, at most, only see around a 15% speed increase, and that's assuming it's written from scratch to support the architecture. A 64-bit twitter app or email client won't be any faster than a 32-bit one.

Browsers kinda fall in between. They won't see a huge boost in performance going 64-bit, but they could end up being more stable if they're designed right.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Browsers kinda fall in between. They won't see a huge boost in performance going 64-bit, but they could end up being more stable if they're designed right.
So, you now admit that Google's users would, in fact, be better off if they had competent programmers keeping Chrome updated for the latest architectures? Shocking. Of course, Google couldn't care less, they work for advertisers not users. As long as it's not so bad people flee despite Google's heavy self-promotion of Chrome, quality is irrelevant.

Renzatic

Suspended
So, you now admit that Google's users would, in fact, be better off if they had competent programmers keeping Chrome updated for the latest architectures? Shocking. Of course, Google couldn't care less, they work for advertisers not users. As long as it's not so bad people flee despite Google's heavy self-promotion of Chrome, quality is irrelevant.

The real question is why are you so dead set on twisting this into an absolute failure on Google's part?

Like I said, the switch to 64-bit for browsers doesn't offer any massive advantages. I used Chrome 64-bit on Linux awhile back, and it was hardly what I'd call a night and day difference. Is it nice to have? Sure. At the very least, you want everything 64-bit native, so your OS of choice doesn't have to keep 32-bit libraries memory resident. But lets not pretend its going to make for massive changes for every single app out there.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I bought a iMac. I bought an iPad. I bought an iPhone. I don't see any reason to ruin that with Chrome. Now with handoff integration there really isn't any reason to allow Google and the NSA onto my Apple hardware.

I bought, I bought, I bought... someday the money ends. I have two Macs that don't support Handoff. Maybe you'll be in the same situation in a couple of years when Apple launches another "killer feature" in the next OSX release. Heck, even inside the Mac world you can't use the latest OSX features. This is not an incentive for buying an iPhone.

Sorry to inform you, but there isn't NSA-free proprietary software. Unless you compile Chromium or Firefox by yourself (and preferrably take a brief look at the source code), you're at risk.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia

Wow.... someone has an agenda. :rolleyes:

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Like I said, the switch to 64-bit for browsers doesn't offer any massive advantages. I used Chrome 64-bit on Linux awhile back, and it was hardly what I'd call a night and day difference. Is it nice to have? Sure. At the very least, you want everything 64-bit native, so your OS of choice doesn't have to keep 32-bit libraries memory resident. But lets not pretend its going to make for massive changes for every single app out there.

By far the most obvious user benefit of 64bit Chrome is having a functional Java plugin. I know I certainly haven't noticed any performance or stability changes...

jenre

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2014
I was reading about what was supporting the 64bit version and i found this:

"The only major caveat seems to be a lack of support for 32-bit NPAPI plug-ins — but with the exception of a few lesser-known plug-ins, most major plug-ins, including Silverlight, Java, and Flash have all been updated to 64-bit. That’s a small price to pay for increased speed, security, and (according to Google) twice the stability of 32-bit Chrome, though"

Does it means that it is supported silverlight or not?
Someone has got any problem with watching silverlight on the browser?
I tried to watch Sky Go on Chrome on my Macbook and was given a message saying since Oct 2014 Google Chrome have decided to stop supporting Silverlight for mac

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
It's not debunked, rather, as the Wikipedia article states, is not entirely true. But your average application will, at most, only see around a 15% speed increase, and that's assuming it's written from scratch to support the architecture. A 64-bit twitter app or email client won't be any faster than a 32-bit one.

This was exactly my point. The differences in a BROWSER for browser operations are going to be almost negligible and very hard to notice. Handling larger data chunks like big video and huge pictures would show marked improvement, like I said. I never said it wasn't a good idea to move to 64-bit in the long run (Apple probably won't support 32-bit apps forever), but this guy is acting like they were a bunch of 20th Century C64 programmers for not moving Chrome to 64-bit for the Mac until now. To get a 3% speed increase? No. They're looking to the future where both Windows and Mac won't support 32-bit apps. They aren't "late" with it. It simply wasn't their first priority and rightly so (same for coming late with apps for the Mac as it's a TINY part of their overall target audience).

In all honesty, that Wikipedia article isn't saying ANYTHING NEW from seven years ago. There were small gains to be had back then too. Most apps, especially early ones wouldn't take much advantage of them. Apps like Photoshop were a big exception for huge files. Small encoding loops, etc. offer potential gains and perhaps some video codecs that handle HD resolution video, but unless all you are making is a Handbrake type App, your typical day-to-day application probably isn't going to be doing a lot of that all of the time. That doesn't mean you won't get SOME improvement, but it's not going to be earth shattering overall, certainly nothing to scream about for that slow pokes taking forever to finally release 64-bit apps (hell it was only a few years they got a version of Chrome out for the Mac PERIOD and it wasn't like they had a Windows 64-bit version out either).

Compare a 32-bit browser to a 64-bit one of the same release branch. See what kind of gains JUST the 64-bit build has. The data I'm seeing suggests very little speed gains at all except for HD Video codecs where there does seem to be a 15% speed gain (which jives with the small loop decoder information above for that section of code). That's nice, but it's not earth shattering. It is free to consumers, at least. A typical web page will see little to no difference.

The raging reactions over small things I keep seeing on here more and more often is nothing new in society, though. I see more and more EXTREMISM in today's society from politics and religion (obvious in the news) to apparently tech news as well. Mountains out of mole hills is what I see. Insults over tiny speed differences. What have these people done in life that gives them the right to criticize someone else's work for taking too long?

One other downside of 64-bit apps like browsers (and operating systems as Windows users found out with early 64-bit Windows versions) is that it tends to break other things like plug-ins that haven't been updated and in many cases will NEVER be updated to support 64-bit operation. You'll have to learn to do without. What? No Silverlight support in Chrome anymore? Aw, too bad.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Safari is great and all, but does no good when people use a mac AND Windows PC. If they had a valid Safari for windows that was continually updated, that would be a different story. At least with chrome, you can sync bookmarks/profiles over different devices AND platforms

Actually, if you're willing to use IE or Firefox on the Windows machine, then you can keep your bookmarks synced with Safari on the Mac using the iCloud control panel.

TimelessOne

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2014
The real question is why are you so dead set on twisting this into an absolute failure on Google's part?

I just say it appears more of the standard Apple rules google drools type of argument being made. Something that is just not worth the time to even address as no matter what you say they spit out the standard FUD or twist it make the FUD.

Like you said moving to 64 it has to offer something worth the risk and time over 32 bit. A complete rewrite is rarely if ever worth the time and risk. It takes normal 2x as long, and you end up throwing away all the old knowledge of the code in terms of issues and bugs and introduce a complete new list.

Like you said it is not as simple as just saying compile for *blank*. 9 times out of 10 it is fine. For that 10% of the case it can be a nightmare to fix. Something like Chrome I expect had a lot of issues making the switch. Most of them small but takes a while to track them down.

Thunderboltedge

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2014
Milan
I tried to watch Sky Go on Chrome on my Macbook and was given a message saying since Oct 2014 Google Chrome have decided to stop supporting Silverlight for mac

Thanks jenre.
I did not see that massage but I inferred Google did not yet have released any solutions for the 64 Chrome on Mac.
I could not imagine they were giving up any support.
Fortunately safari works well for that, but I still cannot find a reason.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Thanks jenre.
I did not see that massage but I inferred Google did not yet have released any solutions for the 64 Chrome on Mac.
I could not imagine they were giving up any support.
Fortunately safari works well for that, but I still cannot find a reason.

It's probably because:

1. Google really doesn't like Microsoft.
2. Silverlight sucks even more than Flash does
3. The last major use-case for Silverlight (Netflix) has recently moved over to HTML5 in Chrome.

Thunderboltedge

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2014
Milan
It's probably because:

1. Google really doesn't like Microsoft.
2. Silverlight sucks even more than Flash does
3. The last major use-case for Silverlight (Netflix) has recently moved over to HTML5 in Chrome.

Yes I think Netflix switching towards HTML5 is the biggest reason, which is helpless for me since in Europe Netflix does not work, except few countries.
I thought, more than a problem between Google and Microsoft, it was a war against Apple since Google is still developing his browser to support it, simply it gave up it for the Mac version.
I still find the 39 version 64 bit of Chrome here less performing in terms of pop ups blocking with extensions for instance. the previous version was so fine compared to this one, even if it is supposed to be faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.