Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
What's wrong with the current design? I think it's perfect the way it is.
Design change for the sake of design change is a waste of money.

----------

Really? You wouldn't buy a new and improved iPhone simply because it looks the same? I guess that's your choice to make. Personally, I buy for features, benefits, and value, not 'new looks'.

----------

Could you immagine the Ford Motor company coming out with a car called "Model-T 106"? At some time you just have to drop the generation numbers, or start looking stupid.

with your logic fords will still look like the model t.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
who gives a ***** about s sim card holder, guarantee this week will also be a dead week for mac news. getting really annoying

This is pretty major, as a change to the SIM card tray has the potential to dramatically change the entire mobile device landscape.

The current tray allows you to use any GSM/UMTS carrier's SIM in an iPhone.

A future design might not allow that.

Such a change would be significant for consumers and has the potential to limit consumer choice and freedom.

GorgonPhone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2010
this is bad news.... yup apple need to make this damn phone as new looking as possible.... and so far im not feeling any newness... this is it folks prepare fro the decline of the iphone and apple.. if they botch this iphone5..

Slayter

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2009
The Czech Republic
this is bad news.... yup apple need to make this damn phone as new looking as possible.... and so far im not feeling any newness... this is it folks prepare fro the decline of the iphone and apple.. if they botch this iphone5..

100% agree, if they dont deliver a new cool design my next phone wont be iphone....

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I always figured the top surface of the sim card tray would be a bit angled to match the sides of the iPad (I don't have an iPad with a sim card slot, so I can't check it for sure. I'll just have to trust you on this one).

iPad 3 has an angled side. Can't speak for the others

lifeguard90

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Chicago
Sorry but.. If Apple wont show us a new complete redesign of an iphone I'm going to buy my next phone somewhere else, most likely some WP phone. If in 3 consecutive years Apple deliver still the same ( for me not that great ) design, I will see it as arrogance. Arrogance to customer. And please dont compare it to Mac, thats a different class. Cellphone needs to evolve each incarnation. Because iP4/4s is far from perfect. ( for example: ergonomicaly wrong- sharp edges, glass is fragile,slippery, and you get fingerprints all over the phone etc etc...)

I will not buy a basically almost identical phone over and over. And as I see I'm not only one. Last year my friends switched after 4S fiasco to SGs2.
They had enough of Apple ignorance already.

I handled many non apple cell phones, including the SG and other slim devices, many are way over sized, mini tablets. why do you want to carry something that big, let alone hold it in one hand efficiently. Apple iPhones are aesthetically appealing and don't feel flimsy like a crap piece of plastic from a Samsung Happy Meal for 5 year olds.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I always figured the top surface of the sim card tray would be a bit angled to match the sides of the iPad (I don't have an iPad with a sim card slot, so I can't check it for sure. I'll just have to trust you on this one).

yeah I'm positive it's not angled at all.

Therbo

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2011
United Kingdom
Because two sims are tacky, and there is no need for it in the leading market (US). I know in Europe and other sides of the world people tend to get two phone numbers as calling the competing cell network is usually very expensive, so people opt for two phones or two simed phones to put cards from two networks.

Apple can barely fit one sim let alone two in the phone.

Where on earth did you get that idea from? In Europe calls to other networks are the same price as calls to the home network, although on some plans calls to home networks are free.

I pay £15 ($23) for my contract a month, I don't see that as expensive.

----------

This is pretty major, as a change to the SIM card tray has the potential to dramatically change the entire mobile device landscape.

The current tray allows you to use any GSM/UMTS carrier's SIM in an iPhone.

A future design might not allow that.

Such a change would be significant for consumers and has the potential to limit consumer choice and freedom.

Any change to the SIM-card that prevented it from working on Non-Apple networks would immediately be flagged in Europe and would be banned from sale unless changed were made. By law all phones have to work with all networks.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
Because two sims are tacky, and there is no need for it in the leading market (US). I know in Europe and other sides of the world people tend to get two phone numbers as calling the competing cell network is usually very expensive, so people opt for two phones or two simed phones to put cards from two networks.

Europe is very cheap compared to US - I pay about $22 a month on an unlocked owned 4s - with 600 free mins to any uk network or landline - unlimited text and Data ( most are fair use - but I've kept my original contract instead of getting a few pounds off and therefore keep unlimited data )

Think he means support 2 sims by swapping them over. actually pretty useful in lots of countries where networks signals vary massively from area to area

Stuipdboy1000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
So, judging by this we won't be seeing a rounded edge, tapered design like what was talked about last year. Another flat edged design. Whether it's the same as the 4/4S is anyones guess.

Or of course this may be fake, or a ploy staged by Apple to weed out any leaks.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
What does this picture of a sim card tray have to do with the next iphone design? Heck we don't even know the sim card tray in this picture has anything to do with the new iphone. Last time I checked rumors do not equal facts. I'm amazed at how quickly people can run with a RUMOR as if it's fact. :rolleyes:

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
How about they just call it "iPhone." Complicated, isn't it? And considering Apple just did this for the iPad, I think people are silly to assume otherwise.

The 3rd gen iPad didn't market very well. People get excited by the higher number.

Also, look at the iPod touch. It seems like it's never updated because they keep the same name the whole time.

----------

Because they're probably North American and are terrible at math.

So people who aren't North American and are bad at math would not call it the iPhone 5?

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State

100% agree, if they dont deliver a new cool design my next phone wont be iphone....

And people with your mentality are the reason I have to hear Apple haters bitch that the only reason people buy Apple is to be trendy. You're their proof.

*sigh*.

----------

How about the people who have to carry around two cellphones (one for work, one for personal)? Do you not think they'd like to be able to just use one phone that will answer to two different numbers?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Where on earth did you get that idea from? In Europe calls to other networks are the same price as calls to the home network, although on some plans calls to home networks are free.

----------

Any change to the SIM-card that prevented it from working on Non-Apple networks would immediately be flagged in Europe and would be banned from sale unless changed were made. By law all phones have to work with all networks.

Europe is very cheap compared to US - I pay about $22 a month on an unlocked owned 4s - with 600 free mins to any uk

Refine UK instead of Europe and both statements are accurate.

Most of Europe do not get the same offers / pricing as the UK for similar service.

Your £15 | $23 plan would actually set you back €60 for the equivalent plan in Ireland, and around €45-55 in Spain and France.

So don't assume because you get great plans in the UK you are speaking for Europe ad a whole, because you certainly are not.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011

I travel, and have friends and family all over the world, that's how I know that many people have dual numbers, for cost, for coverage, I don't know.

For the most part the US business model is different the Europe, it works for us, yours work for you. No need to argue which one is better, they both have pros and cons.

If it wasn't for the US 2-year locked contract model and AT&T, the Iphone would have never happened. As much as I hate AT&T, I give them credit for taking a leap of faith. Apple needed a partner, a fully subsidized contract, to get the then super-expensive iPhone out.

Slayter

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2009
The Czech Republic
I handled many non apple cell phones, including the SG and other slim devices, many are way over sized, mini tablets. why do you want to carry something that big, let alone hold it in one hand efficiently. Apple iPhones are aesthetically appealing and don't feel flimsy like a crap piece of plastic from a Samsung Happy Meal for 5 year olds.

Only those sharp edges does not fit into your palm that well, also glass is slipery, i have droped my iphone on concrete surface, because it slipped off my hand ;(
Never happended with previous iPhone 2g/3g/3gs...
When I saw iP4 for first time I was not happy with a design, I made a jokes about it saying it'S Sonnyerricsson design. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.