Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
If the new iPad does turn out to have 4G LTE, Verizon will probably have some kind of small event in New York. I'd bet that's where that info came from.

Which is why you have to be one of the first to buy an iPad 3 if you need 4G. Because, Verizon will probably offer unlimited* for the first 2-4 weeks, and that's your only chance to get it.

* actually - second thought - the way the carriers behave - there is no such thing as unlimited anymore. my bad. :)

Hakone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2011
Southern California
So tempting but I really need the new iMac whenever that comes. Plus my kid hogs up the iPad2 so i only get to touch it when it needs apps updated and when it needs to be charged. :(

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
Ahahahahaha!! Typical ass covering at it's finest! Invites go out, clarification tweets follow.

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
I wonder if this is one of Apple's fake leaks in order to pinpoint where a leak is coming from.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
Honestly, the best part is how many blogs ran with this story after it was posted. (macrumors, bgr, engadget, modmyi, tuaw)

And the fact that they use titles like "CNBC confirms iPad release"

Why not say something like "CNBC REPORTS" or similar????

Not to mention how annoying it is getting that all of these sites just poach off of each others stories. As soon as one breaks a story (not even an interesting story mind you) they all report the exact same thing. Like do you really think I want to read the same story about an apple rumor 6 times???

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
We should be getting the full and ACCURATE story sometime in the future. It's a great media we have now....report a rumor as news, and then retract it and update it over and over as it develops until it finally becomes the actual story. Scary knowing you can find internet blogs reporting better accuracy then large news media :rolleyes:

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
I wonder if this is one of Apple's fake leaks in order to pinpoint where a leak is coming from.

My thoughts exactly! Apple "confidentially" tells one guy New York and then waits to see how quickly that news gets out there. Then, the minute they see signs of a leak, they announce the actual location details, making the inaccurate "source' look like an idiot.

Mark

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
...but the recent revelation of an A5X system-on-a-chip has led to questions about whether Apple will be utilizing a beefed-up version of its dual-core A5 chip found in the iPad 2 instead of a quad-core processor. Apple does appear to have been simultaneously working on A5X and A6 chips, so it is unclear exactly how and when Apple is planning on utilizing the two chips.

I really don't understand how you guys are interpreting the A5X vs A6 stuff. It seems clear that A5X will be additional cores and GPU power to the Cortex A9, and A6 will be the move to the Cortex A15 architecture. So...

A5X = Cortex A9 (quad core)
A6 = Cortex A15 (dual core)

Note that dual-core A15 chips have already proven to beat out quad-core A9s by a hefty margin.

More Info

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
I really don't understand how you guys are interpreting the A5X vs A6 stuff. It seems clear that A5X will be additional cores and GPU power to the Cortex A9, and A6 will be the move to the Cortex A15 architecture. So...

A5X = Cortex A9 (quad core)
A6 = Cortex A15 (dual core)

Note that dual-core A15 chips have already proven to beat out quad-core A9s by a hefty margin.

More Info

You're right, that is incredibly obvious, how did we miss that?
Tell me, how is Tim Cook? You clearly know what is happen for certain, so i assume you must know Tim well?

Nothing is "obvious" with Apple. Things make sense, but it's never obvious.

DrMotownMac

Contributor
Jul 11, 2008
Michigan
Um, does anyone actually watch or trust the information on CNBC? Isn't this thread, with the multiple updates, an example of how unreliable that news source is? It's like watching Jim Cramer on "Mad Money." If that lunatic were so smart and knew so much about the stock market, then what is he doing hosting some crazy TV show about stocks? Shouldn't he be sitting "on a beach, earning 20%?" I don't think he hosts that show out of the goodness of his heart.

BTW, Sorry for the Die Hard quote, but it just seemed appropriate.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Poor CNBC. First, they step on their dick.

Then they keep stepping on it.

A lot of footprints on that dick.

Too late to step off...

amputation is the only course of action left.:eek:

eyebomb

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2012
Facetime?

Perhaps NY is a "key location" because the new AppleTV will include a Facetime camera and they'll demonstrate Facetime from the AppleTV in NY to the iPad 3 in CA?

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
EXCLUSIVE! THIS JUST IN!

100% reliable sources confirm next week someone will be unveiling a brand new thing somewhere! It will be better than some other thing, priced in money and available to buy to interested parties exclusively.

All models come with free company logo and the ability for users to touch it.

I disagree. It will be priced in goats.

Darlo770

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
Quad Core, Retina display AND LTE? :eek:

Doesn't Apple normally drip feed us just one of these things every year? xD

I wonder if this is the new Apple. A 'give em everything they want all at once' Tim Cook approach.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Quad Core, Retina display AND LTE? :eek:

Doesn't Apple normally drip feed us just one of these things every year? xD

I wonder if this is the new Apple. A 'give em everything they want all at once' Tim Cook approach.

I doubt it has anything to do with Tim Cook. Next year's iPads and iPhones begin planning the second the current new crop is released. Sometimes even before that (features tested, but not making it in 2012 will appear in the 2013 version).

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
You're right, that is incredibly obvious, how did we miss that?
Tell me, how is Tim Cook? You clearly know what is happen for certain, so i assume you must know Tim well?

Nothing is "obvious" with Apple. Things make sense, but it's never obvious.

The iBoot software showing 4 cores (and then those screenshots' model numbers being corroborated by multiple following rumors) seems pretty obvious to me. The A6 core count is more speculation based on the fact that there were conflicting rumors on whether the next proc would be dual or quad core, and that dual-core A15s are killing quad core A9s, but I stand by the statement that it seems clear that A5X will be quad-core cortex A9.

Oh... and I did point out on TechPerfect weeks before the A5X picture was leaked that the whole rumor community was making a big assumption that the next processor was going to be called "A6". So, I guess you could say that I do know a bit about how Apple works...

Last edited:

mikefla

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
In other news someone should tell CNBC to keep their trap shut because they are obviously very dumb! No one should take their Apple rumors seriously!

-Mike

----------

BTW, in case you didn't already know, the CNBC sources are the janitorial folks that clean the Apple corporate building. They don't speak much English, hence all the confusion ;)

-Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.