Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Interestingly, the tweet claims that the unveiling will take place in New York, a departure from the company's typical major announcements that have taken place either in San Francisco or at the company's headquarters in Cupertino.

CNBC really got burned on that one. Wonder who their source was lol.

helpinghand

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2006
Wtf

How about doing an update saying that there is a March 7th event invites at the Yorbi?

NOT NYC or any where else.

blinkin182

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
Switzerland
Anything to get some extra viewers

Seems like some news companies are really ready to announce anything to get some extra viewers... short term spike, but they sure do look dumb now!

I don't see yet another event in New York coming up soon... I mean Apple did a very subtle announcement of Mountain Lion, in order to save all the excitement for March 7th, so why would they have another event after that?

They better recheck their sources...

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
The iBoot software showing 4 cores (and then those screenshots' model numbers being corroborated by multiple following rumors) seems pretty obvious to me. The A6 core count is more speculation based on the fact that there were conflicting rumors on whether the next proc would be dual or quad core, and that dual-core A15s are killing quad core A9s, but I stand by the statement that it seems clear that A5X will be quad-core cortex A9.

Oh... and I did point out on TechPerfect weeks before the A5X picture was leaked that the whole rumor community was making a big assumption that the next processor was going to be called "A6". So, I guess you could say that I do know a bit about how Apple works...

All very impressive (genuinely), but are you making a extremely educated guesses or do you have insider knowledge?

Darlo770

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
The iBoot software showing 4 cores (and then those screenshots' model numbers being corroborated by multiple following rumors) seems pretty obvious to me. The A6 core count is more speculation based on the fact that there were conflicting rumors on whether the next proc would be dual or quad core, and that dual-core A15s are killing quad core A9s, but I stand by the statement that it seems clear that A5X will be quad-core cortex A9.

Quad-Core Cortex A9 was my bet too. It's all a question of what Apple's AX designations symbolize, possibly more architecture over cores. As architecture is more important technically. Then the A6 will be a Quad A15, possibly skipping the Dual A15.

Though i did find, if you look at an iBoot of any current non quad-core device, you see 'Found Chip ID' at least four times anyway. But i'm no hardware techie, so i don't know. :confused:

However, with the Quad-Core tip-off we heard yesterday, it's looking more promising.

jdoll021

macrumors 6502
...the source's claim that New York is a "key location for an upcoming product launch" without specifically claiming that it will involve the iPad 3.

You know, I didn't make much of this at first. I figured it was just a web conference for media based in New York if they didn't want to fly out to SF. But then my wife told me this morning that her friend's husband, who works at Apple, is flying out to New York this weekend. He usually goes to Cupertino for these events. Now I'm really curious how New York is involved.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
All very impressive (genuinely), but are you making a extremely educated guesses or do you have insider knowledge?

extremely educated guesses at this point.

Quad-Core Cortex A9 was my bet too. It's all a question of what Apple's AX designations symbolize, possibly more architecture over cores. As architecture is more important technically. Then the A6 will be a Quad A15, possibly skipping the Dual A15.

Though i did find, if you look at an iBoot of any current non quad-core device, you see 'Found Chip ID' at least four times anyway. But i'm no hardware techie, so i don't know. :confused:

However, with the Quad-Core tip-off we heard yesterday, it's looking more promising.

So, actually now you have me thinking more about this. It indeed appears as though the "Found Chip ID" is referring to the NAND chips, not the CPU. I don't see anything in the screenshots, or anything in iBoot that indicates CPU count... more digging to follow...

Update: yeah... so while I still think it's probably a quad-core Cortex A9, I'm no longer as certain as I was, and I understand a lot more why Eric hedged on calling A5X dual or quad core. The BGR post looks like it made a big assumption when it said quad-core.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.