Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
mikemodena said:
Update!!!!

They were willing to take it in exchange for a new one but did not have any in stock, so what happened was I kept it (On it right now) and they gave me a keyboard, mighty mouse, a dvi to vga adapter, and $100 back to my mom's card. I'm very happy with it, although I'm having trouble calibrating my display to the way I like it.. I have the calibration file from my mac mini saved but is there any way I can open it in System Preferences? I tried but couldn't find a way.

In other news, I hooked up my mac mini for my mom and gave her a fresh install of OS X, and she fell in love with it.

I think you should have waited. Even with the free gifts. You don't have the dual layer superdrive, weaker graphic card, slower processors, etc.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
mikemodena said:
although I'm having trouble calibrating my display to the way I like it.. I have the calibration file from my mac mini saved but is there any way I can open it in System Preferences? I tried but couldn't find a way.
You need to re-profile it anyway. With a different video board, you will have a different profile.

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
SouthWest-USA
mikemodena said:
Update!!!!

They were willing to take it in exchange for a new one but did not have any in stock, so what happened was I kept it (On it right now) and they gave me a keyboard, mighty mouse, a dvi to vga adapter, and $100 back to my mom's card. I'm very happy with it, although I'm having trouble calibrating my display to the way I like it.. I have the calibration file from my mac mini saved but is there any way I can open it in System Preferences? I tried but couldn't find a way.

In other news, I hooked up my mac mini for my mom and gave her a fresh install of OS X, and she fell in love with it.

Not the same calibration as the mini. Different stuff. I won't go into detail, but calibrate your monitor with the Power Mac and save the configuration. Importing the calibration from your mini may cause color problems. Not that difficult to do and it will be matched to the setup correctly, i.e. graphics chip.....stuff like that. :rolleyes:

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
MacTruck said:
Yeah, dual core Powermacs Wednesday baby!

Yep, and the buyer got a refurb. You can get a 2 GHZ refurb, with dual layer superdrive, for only $1799 (at apple.com).

I really think $2000, for the old 1.8 G5 dual, with the 5200 and everything is not a very good value.

However, all of this is weak, if we have dual duals on Wednesday!! It should be interesting! :) I'm looking forward to 10am Wednesday.

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
powerbook911 said:
Yep, and the buyer got a refurb. You can get a 2 GHZ refurb, with dual layer superdrive, for only $1799 (at apple.com).

Isn't that wierd? They were $1599. Thats how much I paid for mine and it has 8 dimm slots.

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
Some pics...

Here are some pics of my new machine... My desk is kinda messy.. it's a desk built into an Ikea loftbed..
The other one is my desktop, and my About This Mac box :D

Attachments

• DSCF3537.JPG
    DSCF3537.JPG
    206.1 KB · Views: 127
  • desktop.jpg
    desktop.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 122
  • about.jpg
    about.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 102

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
The Rev B 2.0 dual ( 8 DIMM ) model that mikemodena bought today may be a refurb but it's also one of the hardest to find PowerMacs out there right now.

The newer Rev C 2.0 might have a 16X dual layer
and a slightly better GPU, but they also use the crippled, prosumer, 4 DIMM motherboard with 33MHz standard PCI expansion slots.

The older Rev B 2.0 he took home today IS the better PRO machine with the full 8 DIMM motherboard and faster 133MHz PCI-X expansion slots.

After all the let downs we've gone through waiting for rumorware, he didn't do bad at all grabbing
the machine he has at a reasonable price.

That same machine may have gone for $1599-$1699
on clearance following the last update, but lots of people paid $2499 for theirs and are still perfectly happy.

If we do see new dual core PowerMacs this Wednesday GREAT! but those new processors still haven't stood the test of time.

CompUSA deserves to have their A$$ kicked for trying to pull a fast one, but this user is happy and his mom is delighted with her new very well equipped hand me down Mac mini, so it worked out fine.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Well, I feel better for Mike knowing that he got the Dual 2 rev B. I thought, for a while, it was being said he got the 1.8 Dual.

If it was the Dual 2, rev b, then I agree its a fantastic machine, just not a perfect price. Enjoy it though, again, that is a great machine.

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
Thanks everyone! I know there might be an update Wednesday but I'm not one of those people who are completely obsessed with having the best of the best of the best. When I had an ibook and mac mini I did feel like I wanted more, but now I have the powermac, which I still have a hard time believing, and that is beyond my wildest dreams. I do web design, which wasn't doing horrible on a mac mini and so on a powermac it's extremely smooth. The thing that killed the mini for me though, was I started to do hardcore video editing for a TV show that my "advanced video production" class puts on a local cable channel. I do pretty much all the cutting, along with VFX, and it's getting to the point where I'm going to need Motion. I won't be dissappointed at all if/when they are updated because I know I have a machine I never thought I would have. I will be finishing up this year and next year of high school with this machine, and I will be taking it to college with me along with a Mactel Powerbook I plan to buy before I leave. I feel that the expandability of this machine will keep it going for quite a few years...

Anyway, thanks again for all your suggestions and advice!

iMetalG5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2005
Heb1228 said:
It completely varies from store to store depending on who the managers are. Making a blanket statement like that is just childish.

They have a return policy, you can take it back and get your money back if you have problems with it. If you acted like an ass when you were in there, they probably didn't work with you because of your attitude. I don;'t blame them. I can't stand pain in the rear customers either.

acted normal. end of story...

iMetalG5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2005
robcts said:
I just realized you're from CT, me too. Which CompUSA did you goto?

Manchester, CT for me. I actually got a return phone call back from the Regional Manager of sales as a follow up. Forgot her name but she was based in MASS. So I mean they do care about their customers but the people that were working there at that time were confrontational and condescending.

Gokhan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2003
London
nice

good one mike here in the uk when the cram and jam's was on offer for students apple scwered me out of a student discount and ipod and then said sorry we where wrong but the offer has expired now (it took 2 weeks to realize what had happend to me ) so i said so has my cash the machine (ibook) went back and i did at least get a full refund so BIG UP COMP USA at least they did u a deal !!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.