Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aria9391

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2022
Hello! So, after reading different posts in this forum regarding using an external display with a MBP 13" 2015, I still am not sure what cable or adapter I should get... Sorry if the answer was there somewhere but none seemed to apply to the ports on this Samsung monitor!

Another option is that I'm trying to complicate my life because this Samsung monitor has Apple Airplay and I could do Screen Mirroring(?). I just wasn't sure if this was an option, if my MBP was compatible (already sad I can't use Sidecar with my iPad Pro...) or if I'd get a better connection with a cable (besides the charging).

Just watched this video which shows this with the previous M7 smart monitor. If this is all I have to do I'll seriously feel both silly and relieved lol

The new Samsung M8 monitor has a 2.0 Micro HDMI and two USB-C ports:
Screenshot 2022-05-10 at 10.31.47 AM.png

My MBP 13" early 2015 has two Thunderbolt 2, two USB 3, and 2.0 HDMI ports.
Screenshot 2022-05-10 at 10.38.06 AM.png

I've been reading conflicting info about the Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter and as of now I was considering the following options:

* Thunderbolt 2 cable from MBP to Thun.2 to Thun.3 adapter which connects to monitor.
* USB-C to HDMI cable
* Micro HDMI to HDMI cable

This being said, I got the monitor not just as a bigger display for my mac, but because of all else it offers, so getting another monitor isn't something I'd consider.

Also, I'm planning to upgrade my MBP this year (waiting for the new macbooks announcements!) so if the options I have don't provide the best quality I'm not too fussed as it will be just for a few months and then I will be able to use the USB-C cable they provide!

Thank you for reading and I'll be very grateful for any guidance because I'm no tech expert and it's silly the time I spent researching solutions and what each port and cable does lol

Last edited:

coolguy4747

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
I think the micro HDMI to HDMI cable should be the simplest route and I don't think quality should suffer. I'm not sure how it works technically, but it wouldn't hurt to make sure that the cable you acquire is bi-directional. The one you linked to says it is NOT bi-directional, but this one (and of course others) say it IS bi-directional. Most devices with micro HDMI use it for output rather than input, so IMHO it is worth taking note when purchasing a cable.

Reactions: Aria9391

Aria9391

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2022
I think the micro HDMI to HDMI cable should be the simplest route and I don't think quality should suffer. I'm not sure how it works technically, but it wouldn't hurt to make sure that the cable you acquire is bi-directional. The one you linked to says it is NOT bi-directional, but this one (and of course others) say it IS bi-directional. Most devices with micro HDMI use it for output rather than input, so IMHO it is worth taking note when purchasing a cable.
Thank you! I hadn't noticed it wasn't bi-directional! I'm getting the monitor today so if the Airplay option doesn't work I'll get the micro HDMI to HDMI cable and see if it works!

biffuz

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2016
Avoid HDMI, your MBP has an old version.
The cable you want is a Mini Display Port to USB-C, min version 1.2. This will give you the best quality.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Aria9391

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2022
Avoid HDMI, your MBP has an old version.
The cable you want is a Mini Display Port to USB-C, min version 1.2. This will give you the best quality.
Hello! Coming back to update now that the Samsung monitor arrived in case anyone finds themselves in the same situation.

The monitor came with a micro-HDMI to HDMI cable (besides de USB-C one which I thought was the only one included), so I tested that one first before purchasing anything else...

And now my 13" Macbook Pro 2015 is connected to the Samsung M8 Smart monitor via the HDMI to Micro-HDMI cable and work together, monitor as the main display and MBP as an extended one.

tempImagee3iK6X.jpg

I don't know if there are any cons to this setup (resolution, refresh rate...?) but for my needs, it works perfectly!

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I don't know if there are any cons to this setup (resolution, refresh rate...?) but for my needs, it works perfectly!
You're probably running "4K" resolution at 30 Hz since the 2015 MBP's HDMI 1.4 port can't do "4K" at 60 Hz. Is the mouse cursor noticeably laggy? If so, that's a giveaway.

Reactions: BeatCrazy

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Yeah, I'd suggest upgrading to the proper USB-C cable. Once you do, would you mind sharing your impressions of the M8 display?

Aria9391

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2022
You're probably running "4K" resolution at 30 Hz since the 2015 MBP's HDMI 1.4 port can't do "4K" at 60 Hz. Is the mouse cursor noticeably laggy? If so, that's a giveaway.
Yep, that's what appears on the Display settings, the refresh rate is 30 Hz and the cursor is a bit laggy. I also noticed a difference in image quality between using the monitor's own features vs using it as my mac display.

A shame it's not working at its full potential, but until I upgrade my laptop it's enough for me! Thank you for the help!

Aria9391

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2022
If you want to see it work at full potential, this is the ticket (yes, that cable is bidirectional).
Thank you, I will definitely look into getting one of those... I'm a bit nearsighted and when I put on my glasses I noticed the resolution isn't good... and now it does bothers me... ?

Once you do, would you mind sharing your impressions of the M8 display?

So barring the cable issue with my old MBP, I'm very happy with the M8! I'm no expert and what I find good might be average for another user, but I know more than the average person out there and I'm normally very picky with image and sound quality lol

From the reviews I read, if you need a monitor for gaming or photo/video editing, there are others that offer better specs for those purposes than the M8 (although I've seen it has a gaming mode option which is supposed to improve the experience? Haven't tried it yet!)

The 32" monitor is quite light and super thin, the vessels are super thin as well. As someone who only owned Apple products, the design is very iMac-like and fits perfectly. I haven't tried the attachable camera that comes with it, but I love that it's not "part" of the display. The speakers are also quite good considering how thin the display is, but I use headphones if I want to "properly" listen to music or watch a movie.

I'm enjoying the multiple uses you can get out of it, as an extended display for my MBP of course, a smart TV, or even as a PC by itself as it connects to wifi and can link several Bluetooth peripherals like a keyboard and mouse to comfortably use the web browser and Office package it includes. It has other functionalities you can find elsewhere but I can't comment on them yet!

So yeah, I think it's a perfect multi-purpose display for someone who works or studies from home and who also appreciates some good specs!

biffuz

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2016
If you want to see it work at full potential, this is the ticket (yes, that cable is bidirectional).
That cable is regular DisplayPort, not Mini. You want the Mini DP to connect to the MBP, and the USB-C at the other end to the monitor.
You can solve with an adapter, but if you're at it, just buy a cable that fits. Also, it looks very expensive, I'm using one that was half that price and works perfectly (I have a late '13 MBP and 4K monitor).

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
So barring the cable issue with my old MBP, I'm very happy with the M8! I'm no expert and what I find good might be average for another user, but I know more than the average person out there and I'm normally very picky with image and sound quality lol

From the reviews I read, if you need a monitor for gaming or photo/video editing, there are others that offer better specs for those purposes than the M8 (although I've seen it has a gaming mode option which is supposed to improve the experience? Haven't tried it yet!)

The 32" monitor is quite light and super thin, the vessels are super thin as well. As someone who only owned Apple products, the design is very iMac-like and fits perfectly. I haven't tried the attachable camera that comes with it, but I love that it's not "part" of the display. The speakers are also quite good considering how thin the display is, but I use headphones if I want to "properly" listen to music or watch a movie.

I'm enjoying the multiple uses you can get out of it, as an extended display for my MBP of course, a smart TV, or even as a PC by itself as it connects to wifi and can link several Bluetooth peripherals like a keyboard and mouse to comfortably use the web browser and Office package it includes. It has other functionalities you can find elsewhere but I can't comment on them yet!

So yeah, I think it's a perfect multi-purpose display for someone who works or studies from home and who also appreciates some good specs!
Thank you -- this is really helpful. I suspect I'm in a similar boat as you in that I need a work-from-home display, but will be putting it in a room in which the TV functionality could be a fun addition (although not required in my case). My work is almost completely text/document focused, so I need sharp text first and foremost, and the forum comments I've seen so far are very divided between thinking it looks great and thinking 4k is a non-starter for a 32" display. Your comments are prompting me to give it a shot.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
That cable is regular DisplayPort, not Mini. You want the Mini DP to connect to the MBP, and the USB-C at the other end to the monitor.You can solve with an adapter, but if you're at it, just buy a cable that fits.
Correct. There are no MiniDisplayPort to USB-C cables I know of, so a cheap MiniDP<->DP adapter will do the trick.

Also, it looks very expensive, I'm using one that was half that price and works perfectly (I have a late '13 MBP and 4K monitor).
Are you talking about a (Mini)DisplayPort to USB-C cable? These just seem expensive. USB-C to (Mini)DisplayPort cables are ten a penny but won't work for the OP.

biffuz

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2016
Are you talking about a (Mini)DisplayPort to USB-C cable? These just seem expensive. USB-C to (Mini)DisplayPort cables are ten a penny but won't work for the OP.
What am I saying, I have a MiniDP to DP cable. Almost forgot that...

biffuz

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2016
Thank you -- this is really helpful. I suspect I'm in a similar boat as you in that I need a work-from-home display, but will be putting it in a room in which the TV functionality could be a fun addition (although not required in my case). My work is almost completely text/document focused, so I need sharp text first and foremost, and the forum comments I've seen so far are very divided between thinking it looks great and thinking 4k is a non-starter for a 32" display. Your comments are prompting me to give it a shot.
If you think 4K doesn't look good, I am sorry to inform you this the best technology can do right now at reasonable prices.
Going above that is much more expensive, hardware is flakey, and software is buggy. It will take several years before the situation stabilizes. And even when that happens, we'll get into the diminishing returns zone: personally I can't tell the difference between 4K and 5K 27" monitors at a normal viewing distance.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
If you think 4K doesn't look good, I am sorry to inform you this the best technology can do right now at reasonable prices.
Going above that is much more expensive, hardware is flakey, and software is buggy. It will take several years before the situation stabilizes. And even when that happens, we'll get into the diminishing returns zone: personally I can't tell the difference between 4K and 5K 27" monitors at a normal viewing distance.
I don't think that -- hence my question.

Aria9391

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2022
Correct. There are no MiniDisplayPort to USB-C cables I know of, so a cheap MiniDP<->DP adapter will do the trick.

Ok, so let's see if I got it right... I'd need to do the following:

MBP 2015 <-- Mini DP(male) to DP (female) adapter <-- DP to USB-C cable --> M8 Monitor

Would this amazon basics DP to USB-C cable or this other one work? It does say it's bidirectional, 4k@60Hz... and a bit cheaper ?

They only specify that the USB-C port in my display has to support DP alt mode and read that the little lighting bolt should mean it does?
tempImage3opDkQ.png

Thank you again for all the help! Really appreciate it!

My work is almost completely text/document focused, so I need sharp text first and foremost, and the forum comments I've seen so far are very divided between thinking it looks great and thinking 4k is a non-starter for a 32" display.

You are welcome! I have read I few comments about a 32" 4k monitor being a good option or not, but I think it's related to the use you make of it. To watch media it's perfect. For studying/working I think it will depend on your current laptop and if you have issues like mine. I've had to tinker quite a bit with the scaling/resolution and the monitor picture settings to maintain a decent quality image (considering the cables I'm using) and a readable text size. I think most people have this issue when using a bigger display as an external monitor, as the 4k resolution just makes the text TINY!

If it helps this is a photo taken with my phone of text on the M8 and a screenshot.

tempImageVKbqzg.png Screenshot 2022-05-16 at 7.34.08 PM.png

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015

MBP 2015 <-- Mini DP(male) to DP (female) adapter <-- DP to USB-C cable --> M8 Monitor
Correct.

Would this amazon basics DP to USB-C cable or this other one work? It does say it's bidirectional, 4k@60Hz... and a bit cheaper ?
If they're indeed bidirectional they should™ just work.

They only specify that the USB-C port in my display has to support DP alt mode and read that the little lighting bolt should mean it does?
It looks like an arrow pointing at a screen to me, which suggests the USB-C port in the middle does accept DP Alt Mode Input.

Last edited:

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago

View attachment 2005649

Thank you again for all the help! Really appreciate it!

You are welcome! I have read I few comments about a 32" 4k monitor being a good option or not, but I think it's related to the use you make of it. To watch media it's perfect. For studying/working I think it will depend on your current laptop and if you have issues like mine. I've had to tinker quite a bit with the scaling/resolution and the monitor picture settings to maintain a decent quality image (considering the cables I'm using) and a readable text size. I think most people have this issue when using a bigger display as an external monitor, as the 4k resolution just makes the text TINY!

If it helps this is a photo taken with my phone of text on the M8 and a screenshot.

View attachment 2005675 View attachment 2005674
That looks pretty good to me! Thanks again. I have to wait another month or so to purchase my display (as I’m currently in between desks), but the M8 will be a strong contender.

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
I'm in a similar situation. I got my Samsung M8 and using it with my 2012 Mac mini, which has Minidisplay port supporting Thunderbolt 1. I tried Apple Thunderbolt 2-3 bi-directional adapter in conjunction with a male to male Minidisplay port cable; does NOT work!

Currently I'm using the HDMI output of the mini with the Samsung supplied Hdmi to micro Hdmi cable. Works fine BUT the camera is not supported using the Hdmi input. Also the resolution is limited to 1080p using Hdmi.

I don't know if a Minidisplay port to USB-C cable supporting 4K exists. I'd appreciate if anyone knows anything about it.

Either I'm going to live with the 1080p with no camera, or upgrade my Mini with a model that has a USB-C video out.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I tried Apple Thunderbolt 2-3 bi-directional adapter in conjunction with a male to male Minidisplay port cable; does NOT work!
The Thunderbolt 2<->3 adapter is not compatible with (Mini)DisplayPort displays.

I don't know if a Minidisplay port to USB-C cable supporting 4K exists.
AFAIK it does not, so you need a MiniDP-to-DP adapter plus a DP-to-USB-C cable. But even then, the 2012 Mini is limited to "4K" at 30 Hz.

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
The Thunderbolt 2<->3 adapter is not compatible with (Mini)DisplayPort displays.

AFAIK it does not, so you need a MiniDP-to-DP adapter plus a DP-to-USB-C cable. But even then, the 2012 Mini is limited to "4K" at 30 Hz.
Well, I thought since 2012 Mac mini Minidisplay port was also TB1 port, I hoped that the Apple TB 2-3 adapter would work. Well, now I know that it doesn't.

I would be content with 4K 30 Hz but I got no signal whatsoever from the Minidisplay/TB1 port that Samsung M8 would understand.

Seems like I'll have to live with the Hdmi signal until I decide to upgrade to a Mac with USB-C video.

My Apple Thunderbolt Cinema Display connected to my 2012 Mac mini has better resolution (2560 x 1440) than the Samsung M8 with 1080p Hdmi as it is, with less pixel density of course.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Well, I thought since 2012 Mac mini Minidisplay port was also TB1 port, I hoped that the Apple TB 2-3 adapter would work. Well, now I know that it doesn't.
The Apple TB2<->TB3 adapter provides a DisplayPort signal encapsulated in a Thunderbolt stream. Not a straight DisplayPort signal. A DisplayPort/USB-C monitor cannot extract the DisplayPort signal encapsulated in a Thunderbolt stream. It needs a straight DisplayPort signal.

Seems like I'll have to live with the Hdmi signal until I decide to upgrade to a Mac with USB-C video.
You need a MiniDP-to-DP adapter plus a DP-to-USB-C cable.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeatCrazy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.