Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aria9391

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2022
I'm in a similar situation. I got my Samsung M8 and using it with my 2012 Mac mini, which has Minidisplay port supporting Thunderbolt 1.

I don't know if a Minidisplay port to USB-C cable supporting 4K exists. I'd appreciate if anyone knows anything about it.
Hello! I'm not sure if the thunderbolt in your Mac mini is the same as the thunderbolt in my MBP 2015, but I'll get the cable + adapter I mentioned here, which is what @Amethyst1 suggests:

Ok, so let's see if I got it right... I'd need to do the following:

MBP 2015 <-- Mini DP(male) to DP (female) adapter <-- DP to USB-C cable --> M8 Monitor

Would this amazon basics DP to USB-C cable or this other one work? It does say it's bidirectional, 4k@60Hz.

I'll get them in June (spent too much this month already lol) so I'll comment and update on whether it works or not in case it helps anyone in the same situation!

Can't say the image with the HDMI to Micro HDMI is horrible but I hadn't attempted to use the M8 camera yet and don't know if it works while connected to the MBP! So until I can upgrade my MBP I hope the adapter and DPtoUSB-C cable solve these issues!

Arian123

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2022
Hello! Coming back to update now that the Samsung monitor arrived in case anyone finds themselves in the same situation.

The monitor came with a micro-HDMI to HDMI cable (besides de USB-C one which I thought was the only one included), so I tested that one first before purchasing anything else...

And now my 13" Macbook Pro 2015 is connected to the Samsung M8 Smart monitor via the HDMI to Micro-HDMI cable and work together, monitor as the main display and MBP as an extended one.

View attachment 2004513

I don't know if there are any cons to this setup (resolution, refresh rate...?) but for my needs, it works perfectly!
Hello! Could I please ask what your display settings are on? I am trying to connect my MacBook 2017 (12 inch) to the Samsung M8 but everything is super small on the Samsung, it’s as though I need a magnify glass to read it lol. Thank you!

Arian123

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2022
Ok, so let's see if I got it right... I'd need to do the following:

MBP 2015 <-- Mini DP(male) to DP (female) adapter <-- DP to USB-C cable --> M8 Monitor

Would this amazon basics DP to USB-C cable or this other one work? It does say it's bidirectional, 4k@60Hz... and a bit cheaper ?

They only specify that the USB-C port in my display has to support DP alt mode and read that the little lighting bolt should mean it does?
View attachment 2005649

Thank you again for all the help! Really appreciate it!

You are welcome! I have read I few comments about a 32" 4k monitor being a good option or not, but I think it's related to the use you make of it. To watch media it's perfect. For studying/working I think it will depend on your current laptop and if you have issues like mine. I've had to tinker quite a bit with the scaling/resolution and the monitor picture settings to maintain a decent quality image (considering the cables I'm using) and a readable text size. I think most people have this issue when using a bigger display as an external monitor, as the 4k resolution just makes the text TINY!

If it helps this is a photo taken with my phone of text on the M8 and a screenshot.

View attachment 2005675 View attachment 2005674
Hello, may I ask if you found a way to make the text bigger without losing quality? I am trying to connect my MacBook 2017 12inch (using mini HDMI to HDMI cord) and the Samsung M8 screen makes the text look extremely small like in this photo attached. Even the little app bar at the bottom of the screen is tiny! Unsure if I need a new laptop. Thanks! :)

Attachments

• 5BFA3C19-8855-47DC-9D6F-A810B749C1E8.jpeg
    5BFA3C19-8855-47DC-9D6F-A810B749C1E8.jpeg
    300.5 KB · Views: 92

Ozdawg99

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2020
Benn following this thread for awhile. And have had the chance to use both the Samsung M7 and M8 with the following:
2020 MacBook Air M1
2020 Mac Mini M1
2015 MacBook Pro 15"
2013 Mac Pro.
It works great. Easy to set up, (pieces parts). The electronic part, took more time. It got plugged in, HDMI to mini HDMI, USB-C, and turned in the computers and went right to the Mac startup screen. But as they are also "TV's", it took a while longer to properly set the Mac monitor and TV aspects properly.
Not hard just paying attention, following videos/instructions and or course trial and error.
Colors nice and bright, decent sound. Caveat, I am not a gamer, I do digital painting, 3D, some Photoshop and video work, and my wife plays simple games, interwebs and office apps.
Both monitors are perfect for us.

Shaftino

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2023
I signed up for MacRumours because I have the same issue, and the help on this thread has been excellent.

However, I've run into a unique problem. I have all the cables and adapters for my 2015 MBP, and when I connected it to the Samsung M8 everything worked - 4k @ 60hz - the dream was real.

But now it is only achieving 4k @ 30hz. The option to choose a refresh rate has disappeared, and I've tried all the tricks to make it come with no joy. Does anyone know a) what the issue might be and b) how to fix it, please?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I signed up for MacRumours because I have the same issue, and the help on this thread has been excellent.

However, I've run into a unique problem. I have all the cables and adapters for my 2015 MBP, and when I connected it to the Samsung M8 everything worked - 4k @ 60hz - the dream was real.

But now it is only achieving 4k @ 30hz. The option to choose a refresh rate has disappeared, and I've tried all the tricks to make it come with no joy. Does anyone know a) what the issue might be and b) how to fix it, please?
What changed in between? Software updates? OS upgrade? Add additional hardware?

Shaftino

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2023
What changed in between? Software updates? OS upgrade? Add additional hardware?
@xraydoc Thanks for the reply. There were no noticeable updates regarding the Macbook. It was as swift as me plugging it in, seeing the 4K @ 60hz, making a celebratory coffee and then coming back to see it had reset. Since then, I've been unable to bring up the refresh rate.

Last edited:

Danih

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2024
Benn following this thread for awhile. And have had the chance to use both the Samsung M7 and M8 with the following:
2020 MacBook Air M1
2020 Mac Mini M1
2015 MacBook Pro 15"
2013 Mac Pro.
It works great. Easy to set up, (pieces parts). The electronic part, took more time. It got plugged in, HDMI to mini HDMI, USB-C, and turned in the computers and went right to the Mac startup screen. But as they are also "TV's", it took a while longer to properly set the Mac monitor and TV aspects properly.
Not hard just paying attention, following videos/instructions and or course trial and error.
Colors nice and bright, decent sound. Caveat, I am not a gamer, I do digital painting, 3D, some Photoshop and video work, and my wife plays simple games, interwebs and office apps.
Both monitors are perfect for us.
Hi, since then have you tried the M80C model with a MacBook Pro 2017? What cables worked best? And also does the webcam work?

Danih

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2024
Hello, may I ask if you found a way to make the text bigger without losing quality? I am trying to connect my MacBook 2017 12inch (using mini HDMI to HDMI cord) and the Samsung M8 screen makes the text look extremely small like in this photo attached. Even the little app bar at the bottom of the screen is tiny! Unsure if I need a new laptop. Thanks! :)
Hi, were you able to solve this issue? I just bough the M80C monitor. Haven’t gotten it delivered. Also did you have any issue getting your mbp to recognize the web cam?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.