Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aika

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2006
Android devices work great with OS X, Macbooks are extremely popular among Google employees. When I switched away from iOS I stopped using iTunes and iPhoto altogether and switched to Google's services instead as I prefer cloud based solutions anyway. I am jealous of the 6+'s camera but I don't miss anything about iOS itself.

For phones, Moto G on the low end, Nexus 6 on the high end.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I jumped off the Apple mobile wagon years ago and never looked back, however im not sure why you would want to move away from Apple laptops and desktop computers running OSX. Unlike IOS, OSX is a fully fledged operating system with nothing locked down and it simply runs better then Windows for me. For me the best combo is an Apple iMac, Apple MBA and a Android tablet and phone. They all work well together if you are prepared to move away from some of Apples locked down services like iTunes ect.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
I jumped off the Apple mobile wagon years ago and never looked back, however im not sure why you would want to move away from Apple laptops and desktop computers running OSX. Unlike IOS, OSX is a fully fledged operating system with nothing locked down and it simply runs better then Windows for me. For me the best combo is an Apple iMac, Apple MBA and a Android tablet and phone. They all work well together if you are prepared to move away from some of Apples locked down services like iTunes ect.

+1

I use the following on my macs:

Chrome
Google Drive
Pushbullet Extension
Hangouts Extension
Play Music Extension
Google Cast Extension

Chrome App launcher from desktop which gives me access to thinks like Keep, Docs etc without launching the browser (Chrome).

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Thanks. That's probably the direction I will go.

ACE_350

Cancelled
Aug 12, 2013
I posted this in another thread, maybe this will help.

I'm one of those individuals that have tried to make constant switches to Android. I've been using a iPhone for a very long time, I started right around the iPhone 3G, I had the original first generation iPod Touch so I have been on iOS for a very long time.

The biggest reason why I keep switching back is the Apple ecosystem, software, and user experience for me just remains to seem unmatched. I enjoy Android a lot, and lots of time I think the devices are a lot cooler, but iPhone for me just has the rock solid reliability and ease of use. I always run into some type of snag on Android, some type of nuance where I constantly have to fiddle with the device to get it to work right, I can give a case and example:

I do a lot of group texting with my friends and family, no matter how hard I try and how many apps and settings I configure it never works 100% correctly for me. One of the contacts will fall out of the group message, a message won't send, or fail, or something along those lines, or it will be bugged. On my iPhone? Not so much, it works pretty much 100% of the time without me having to toy or mess around with it.

iMessage in general is a pretty amazing platform in itself. Nearly all of my friends and family use iPhones and when iMessage is running it makes for sending and receiving messages, pictures, and videos flow like honey. Everything sends through without a hunch. No video limits, or delays, or bugs.

The fluidity and smoothness never ceases to amaze me, everything just works and is very uniform. The smoothest Android phone I've used to date is the 2nd generation Moto X, and even at times I still ran into a few stutters, jerks, and janks at times. I think it is just the natural part of the OS. It's not as optimized as iOS. You could be running a octocore clocked over 3Ghz with 8GB of RAM on Android and I think simply due to the way the OS is coded it will still lag and stutter at times. Apps are a lot more polished and work better, I don't find problems where my battery gets drained out from them. Software updates are uniform and you're never guessing when you're due for a upgrade or abandoned by your manufacture or carrier on a software update on your device.

While Android a lot of the time can have better battery life on devices, I feel like it's more achieved with brute force rather then efficiency, lots of manufactures just slamming a huge battery into the device, this is cool, but lots of the times I feel Android devices run more warm in the hand, and standby time is never quite as good. I can go to sleep with my iPhone at 60% (example) and I will wake up with it at 60%. Android not so much, I'll wake up with it maybe at 48%. iOS is so efficient on battery life, I could only imagine what Apple could actually achieve with battery sizes comparable to other Android devices. My battery demands aren't high like some other peoples might be, but this is what I've personally observed.

But I like Android. Something about it always draws me to it and I'm always trying a couple flagships throughout the year to try and get me to switch, but I always return back to my iPhone every time. The closest device ever that almost got me to permanently switch was the Moto X 2014 and Nexus 6. But still no dice. The iPhone 6 still prevails for me and will continue to do so.

If Android can achieve more uniform software updates, more fluidity and perhaps a more reliable messaging system similar to iMessage (Hangouts maybe?) .. I can consider switching. I think SMS is a outdated technology, with all the strong LTE networks available, I should be able to send a video to a friend or family member longer then 10 seconds. The fact that I can't do that in 2015 is pretty ridiculous in my opinion. But anyhow,

just my two cents, for people that pine over switching devices these are the core reasons I continue to stick to my iPhone. It's boring and plain at times, but it just works.

My other devices is a Windows 8 desktop rig custom built myself. Originally a gaming PC and due to its processor and GPU, can probably do anything else I throw at it. No retina display but I use a Dell Ultrasharp IPS monitor. It works for me.

My laptop is a Windows 7 Lenovo Thinkpad.

I used to have a iPad air but it literally became a paper weight, never used it. I gave it to my mother.

A phone is a phone to me. If I want to watch Netflix or a movie, I'd rather it be on my PS4 hooked up to my 55" Sony LED :)

Just my 2 cents. Never been much into Mac computers, but Apple got iOS and the phone right for people that just want to live their mobile lives in a fire and forget manner.

ipooed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
Hello,

After being an Apple nerd for 9 years, I was thinking about dumping my iPhones, iPads and iMac to Android and Windows. The reasons can't be discussed here but lets just say Apple is headed in a direction I don't want to go.

First, for those who went from iOS to Android, what were some of your challenges? What do you miss from iOS?

Since I just purchased my 5K iMac, that will obviously remain for a little while so I was thinking about first switching out my mobile devices (iPads, iPhones). The iMac will probably be the last piece of the puzzle I dump. What sort of issues should I expect running Android devices with iTunes and iPhoto on the iMac? Which Android mobile devices do you suggest?

Thanks for the help. I really like Apple products but ever since Steve Jobs passed things just haven't been the same.

I totally agree with since Jobs passed nothing has been the same! I have had about enough of Apple too! I have switched a few times (before iOS 8) and went to android but always came crawling back... But the state of iOS 8 makes me angry and I also want to leave for android again :( however I keep telling myself over and over the next release will be a game changer but it never is :(

I am due for a new computer and the way Apple has been since (iOS 8) I refused to give them anymore money until things change and bought myself an Aleinware :) can't wait to get it

*Blurred out order number and PO number for security reasons*

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 108

ipooed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
Since when have mac's used iOS ?

They never have, what I meant was I am not satisfied with Apple so I refuse to give them anymore of my money.... Guess I should have explained it simpliar

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
They never have, what I meant was I am not satisfied with Apple so I refuse to give them anymore of my money.... Guess I should have explained it simpliar

If you are use to a mac, you are going to die going back to windows.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
I totally agree with since Jobs passed nothing has been the same!
Yes and what I find interesting is that it seems like many of their products are "evolutionary" rather than "revolutionary". I just threw a SSD into my 2011 MacBook Pro and it runs almost as good as the latest and greatest MacBook Pro's and Air's (besides the retina display of course). For a 4 year old laptop that just seems wrong even for Apple. It seems like Apple is taking steps back in functionality every time they make something smaller.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
First, for those who went from iOS to Android, what were some of your challenges? What do you miss from iOS?

I don't really get why people get so worked-up about switching. Try it. Don't like it? Go back. The iPhone will still be there.

The challenges for me were learning the new OS but they greatly outweighed the delight at all the things Anroid did that I felt iOS should have been able to do.

Syncing is slightly trickier. iTunes makes it really easy. Android is a little fiddlier but, once sorted, it's just as easy and straightforward. And the 'find my iPhone' equivalent is quite odd.

For me, the overwhelming plus about going to Android is that you have so many phones to choose from rather than relying on Apple and Apple alone. It's also great that everyone from your gran to your 6-year-old cousin doesn't have exactly the same phone as you! But don't be fooled - Android is just an OS like iOS. It has bugs and oddities (albeit very few that I've found).

I don't know that I miss anything from iOS, although I haven't used iPhone since iPhone 3GS so I guess I've probably largely forgotten it. Visual Voicemail is probably the only one, but I wanted to ditch O2 and they were the only carrier offering it at the time anyway.

nestafaria

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
I posted this in another thread, maybe this will help.

If Android can achieve more uniform software updates, more fluidity and perhaps a more reliable messaging system similar to iMessage (Hangouts maybe?) .. I can consider switching. I think SMS is a outdated technology, with all the strong LTE networks available, I should be able to send a video to a friend or family member longer then 10 seconds. The fact that I can't do that in 2015 is pretty ridiculous in my opinion. But anyhow,

My thoughts as well. If android had iMessage, and something similar to iCould photo sharing I would go back. But those two things are SO far ahead on iOS that it's not worth losing them.

Robisan

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2014
If android had iMessage, and something similar to iCould photo sharing I would go back. But those two things are SO far ahead on iOS that it's not worth losing them.

Why should you have to lose them? This is precisely what's wrong with Apple's strategic culture. The fact that Apple insists on closed-loop, lock-in apps is a big part of why I won't consider iPhones. In so many ways Apple has become the monolithic 'big brother' that it positioned itself against at its inception.

...adding, in his Washington Post op-ed piece on the Indiana issue Tim Cook piously proclaimed that "Apple is for everyone." iMessage isn't. It's limiting and limited, even for Apple patrons, confining its full utility only to other Apple patrons.

sparky08

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2013
I had the whole Apple ecosystem.

But then I just got bored with iOS. And I got tired of waiting for a phone with a 5" screen.

So, I bought a Nexus 5 18 months ago, and a Samsung Galaxy Tab S last November. (I'm sticking with my Macbook Air for now.)

I can't think of anything that I miss from iOS. (I'd actually miss a few things if I switched back to iOS, like the notification LED and the wireless charging. I've grown to depend on those two things.)

Robisan

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2014
If you want to try a flagship level device the 2nd gen Moto X 2014 is back on sale starting at $359 off contract. The "Pure" edition has zero bloatware and works on all GSM networks. The Verizon version has minimal bloatware. Custom design one on the Motomaker website.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Why should you have to lose them? This is precisely what's wrong with Apple's strategic culture. The fact that Apple insists on closed-loop, lock-in apps is a big part of why I won't consider iPhones. In so many ways Apple has become the monolithic 'big brother' that it positioned itself against at its inception.

It's only wrong in comparison to your opinion or preference. You expect Apple to behave in the same fashion as Google yet the two companies have entirely difference business models. Apple's income is predominantly derived from their hardware, and a significant portion of that from the iPhone. Their services are a means to sell more hardware. Proliferating these services across all platforms would do nothing to promote hardware sales.

Google's income is overwhelmingly generated from their advertising revenue--they need as many eyeballs as possible so it's in there best interest to make their services available in as many places as possible. Don't quote me on it but IIRC, they actually generate more income off iOS than they do from Android, or at least did so up to a point recently.

You prefer one model and that's fine but expecting Apple to conform to your preference, just because it's your preference, is nonsense and honest, just bad business.

...adding, in his Washington Post op-ed piece on the Indiana issue Tim Cook piously proclaimed that "Apple is for everyone." iMessage isn't. It's limiting and limited, even for Apple patrons, confining its full utility only to other Apple patrons.

Oh come on, talk about twisting a comment to fit your bias. Yes, Apple is for everyone..there is no obstacle other than the cost of product, same as any other company. If you want to use iMessage, no one's stopping you other than yourself because you have every right to go buy a piece of Apple hardware.

Robisan

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2014
... yet the two companies have entirely difference business models.

And that's fine. But let's not blow smoke about Apple "empowering people" when their business model is predicated on confining people.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My thoughts as well. If android had iMessage, and something similar to iCould photo sharing I would go back. But those two things are SO far ahead on iOS that it's not worth losing them.

iMessage is probably the killer app for me. I use it all the time to text my wife. I work from home, and I frequently just send a text from her from the message app on my Mac.

I'm less enmeshed in the apple ecosystem then I used to be (I only use iCloud for emails) but with that said, apple's integration of products/services is very tight and well done. My phone rings and I can answer it on my Mac, how cool is that :D

Personally, as I alluded to in a prior post, I pick the product that best fits my needs. I don't choose or avoid a company based on its political, philosophical or social stances. Apple's goal is simple, to make money for its shareholders. Google's goal is the same, its stance of do no evil is silly, they put that in there, yet track every move people make to collect data. They're a multibillion dollar company that is looking to increase revenues. They're no better or worse then Apple. Microsoft is the same, though at this point a distant player in the mobile market.

Robisan

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2014
Apple's income is predominantly derived from their hardware, and a significant portion of that from the iPhone. Their services are a means to sell more hardware. Proliferating these services across all platforms would do nothing to promote hardware sales.

This doesn't have to be so. There are many people who would love to buy Apple hardware if they could put Android on it. Indeed, the biggest complaint about that platform is that none of the hardware makers get things exactly right. Credit where due, Apple for the most part makes terrific hardware.

BigRed1

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2011
I switched from an iPhone 4, which I got used, to a mid/low tier android phone - the lg l90.

I hate it. GPS doesn't work, memory is too low, causing lots of stuttering and other issues, the thing over heats and drains battery for no apparent reason. This relatively new phone seems to have similar battery and speed performance of that now really old iPhone 4. Transitioning away from imessage sucked. Not having facetime sucks. Didn't even know if I was going to get even one software update. Seems like I will, but god knows when. Oh yeah, the camera is also worse than the ancient iPhone 4.

I understand that this is a budget phone, but to say I'm disappointed is an understatement. I really don't enjoy using android at all. It just feels very cobbled together to me. In sure a lot of this would be better on a more expensive phone, but much of it wouldn't.

In the computer front I'm having similar issues. I have a 2009 Mac mini that I have upgraded with a sshd and 8gb of ram. It's running Yosemite, and more importantly, logic pro, like a champ. A family member recently have me a newer lenovo e series laptop. The thing is a dog. It barely runs windows 7. Just running chrome I get messages about poor performance. It's sad that a computer 5 years older is running circles around it.

I really hate, however, that the new macs are basically unserviceable. I've had so many hard drives die and ram go bad that I can't imagine buying a computer where I can't replace those components. My next machine will likely be a used or refurnished machine where I can replace or upgrade those parts.

So, basically, apple pissess me off, I go for cheap alternative replacements and I get mad that they aren't very good. What do I expect, right?

Robisan

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2014
iMessage is probably the killer app for me. I use it all the time to text my wife. I work from home, and I frequently just send a text from her from the message app on my Mac.

I'm less enmeshed in the apple ecosystem then I used to be (I only use iCloud for emails) but with that said, apple's integration of products/services is very tight and well done. My phone rings and I can answer it on my Mac, how cool is that :D

It is cool. And you don't need an iPhone/iOS to do everything you mention. OTOH, my guess is your iPhone can't do this. :D

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
I found myself missing the fingerprint scanner and the camera quality, but that was based solely on the device I was using. iMessage is really the only thing unique to iOS that can't be implemented in Android.

Also, there are occasionally new up and coming apps that are, for whatever reason, released only on iOS. A good, current example of this is Meerkat and Periscope. That said, there are some great apps that are exclusive to Android, albeit fewer.

Google Hangouts can do with imessage is for iOS.

gc15

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Im in the same boat as your topic creator. Im thinking about jumping ship to the new samsung galaxy s6 but I'm on the fence. I love my iPhone 5s, and i do want a bigger iPhone, but the 6 just didn't do enough for me that my 5s doesn't already do.

This would be my first time using android, so i don't know what to expect. Im hearing a lot of different opinions on the s6. Some people say it still lags at times and then there are others who say it works perfect. Im wanting to wait to see how the verizon version is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.