Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G4TheWin

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2012
A ditch somewhere
Regrettably not. I'm part way through modifying my PowerBook's IDE cable to fit in the chassis with an IDE -> SATA adapter attached. I would have used a heat gun to do it, but it's most probable the flex cable would melt, so I have to individually desolder each of the 44 pins, and relocate them. I don't expect it to be done any time soon!

Do you expect it to be done any time soon now? :D

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
Sadly (for me) I will be getting a new laptop soon, so I got half way through the conversion job, gave up, and reversed all my changes. The PowerBook has earned itself an easier life serving up audio at home.

Like I said, most of this is new to me, so progress is slow. I'll get some more updates soon hopefully.

CharlieFrown

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
regarding CorePlayer, is there any chance we could chip in for source code of this player or maybe some kind of reverse-rengineering bounty? I guess it's just a matter of money. Look what they did in Amiga community, they paid one guy to port the entire OS (MorphOS) to G5. It would definitely prolong the life of these old PPC machines.

Reactions: rasvoja

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
Very smart...

....people are trying, or have tried and given up cracking Coreplayer for the Mac. So far, its a no go. Reverse engineering a codec is very challenging I would think. VLC 2.0 and above has excellent codec support, almost but not quite in Coreplayer land. I had Coreplayer on an ibook G4 and it was cool and all, but....if you really want or need 1080p playback, buy a cheap PC laptop, or Raspberry Pi or Android TV stick and spare the CPU on your PowerMac.

Cause at this point they aren't getting any younger, and every CPU has a finite amount of work it can do before it grows wings and goes to the big RISC house in the sky.

lotvai77

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2014
Dear All,

Just for the fun I am also very much interested in Coreplayer performance on my ibook g4. Unfortunately I can not get a copy of the application anywhere. I do know that it requires a license to work, however I have some previous experience in making some applications "overcome" such issues. So I would very much appreciate if somebody could send me a copy of their installation so I could have a closer look on what can be done. I would be happy to share the results with the community.

skinniezinho

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
Dear All,

Just for the fun I am also very much interested in Coreplayer performance on my ibook g4. Unfortunately I can not get a copy of the application anywhere. I do know that it requires a license to work, however I have some previous experience in making some applications "overcome" such issues. So I would very much appreciate if somebody could send me a copy of their installation so I could have a closer look on what can be done. I would be happy to share the results with the community.

You have pm.

macmannate

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
[url=http://i.imgur.com/szqzAVC.jpg]Image[/URL]

Just a little update.

I'm still alive, but I've been rather busy moving house and started at a new job this month - so I haven't had much time to get to the bottom of this.

I've got a weekend free and I hope to make some more progress - but it looks like it might take a wee bit longer than originally planned! I've managed to disassemble the binary and now have to pick it apart with a debugger with the aim of figuring out the validation algorithm. This task isn't helped by the fact the disassembled output is 20MB and over half a million lines long. That and the fact I don't know any PPC ASM (fortunately it's RISC, so things should be a little easier to learn).

My usual text editor (TextMate on PB G4) isn't up to the task of picking through this massive file, so I'm SSHing in via my desktop and doing the debugging from there (silly me forgot I was in a local terminal session when launching gdb, hence the i486 reference ;) ).

Figured I owed an explanation to the kind folks who have provided help thus far.

Wish me luck!

what os are you running?, Ps keep up the epic work dude!

lotvai77

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2014
Hi, we are still searching for the application. Anyone willing to share the install package or knows a place to get it?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The problem with CorePlayer is that each application is uniquely set for your Mac's serial number. This means that even if you got a copy of it, it won't launch because the Mac's serial number is different.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Is anyone still working on cracking CorePlayer? I have three licenses for my Macs, I can donate them in the name of science. :)

Anybody know why the developer doesn't reinstate this or make available in some way? Surely they must be aware of it's legendary status among PPC users and also be aware we'd pay to have the best movie player back?

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I donated my CorePlayer serial numbers and the app to Macintosh Garden. If anybody wants to try cracking it, you'll find it here.

Thanks for that...here's hoping some bright spark can crack that algorithm!
Pity the developers can't wake up and sell Coreplayer again - the PPC crowd is a guaranteed market.

saxfun

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2016
Germany
AHHHHH, i bought that in the past, but i sold my Powerbook DLDS 17'', but this is absolutely GREAT!!!!!

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Wow. Outstanding performance compared to Quicktime on my PBG4-1.5GHz.
Many thanks for the link.
I once bought a copy of CorePlayer for my PalmPro with WinMob6.5 (which still serves as a multifunction 3G/WLAN/USB connector...)
Nice to see CorePlayer revived now for (my) PPCs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beavix

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Wow. Outstanding performance compared to Quicktime on my PBG4-1.5GHz.
Many thanks for the link.
I once bought a copy of CorePlayer for my PalmPro with WinMob6.5 (which still serves a multifunction 3G/WLAN/USB connector...)
Nice to see CorePlayer revived now for (my) PPCs.
Same here - I bought it for my Palm Tungsten and XDA Pocket PC years ago along with all sorts of other apps you just expect for free nowadays :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.