Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
can't say how I know, but I have 100% confirmation this morning that Apple will discontinue the Mac Pro, instead focusing on "professional" capabilities of iMac. Will be an official acknowledgement of the discontinuation in late October.

see ya nerdz.

As a very disenchanted former Mac fanboy writing on my 2012 Mac Pro 3.46 six-core I think you are correct. Apple refuses to offer any main-stream usable Macs. My other desktop is an HP Z workstation. While not a Mac it is far more usable, way easier to upgrade and out powers my Mac Pro.

Apple refuses to build products that operate and connect like normal computers do. Despite the fact that some Macs are really great computers all Macs are arty-farty niche-market products. Users who need a powerful, configurable workstation or an advanced gaming machine do not want a piece of desk top jewelry.

Reactions: enc0re

kennyisalive

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2016
Tim Cook and the rest of the idiots at Cupertino haven't done jack **** with innovation since Jobs dropped dead.

If this ****** rumor is true, then it all signals to the fact that Apple doesn't give a **** about professionals.

I mean, we all knew it, but if this rumor manifests itself, it's just confirmation.

RhymeAnimal

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
Given what you wrote a few months ago, do you still plan to switch? (Not flaming, I'm genuinely curious because (for different reasons) I began switching a couple of years ago, occasionally wavered but completed the switch sooner than originally expected.)
I already switched, months ago. And honestly I'm quite happy with new machine & video work on Premiere & After Effects.

& BTW I said there would be an "acknowledgement" of the discontinuation, not an "announcement". Like the word "discontinued" popping up somewhere.
[doublepost=1473481607][/doublepost]
Why get someone in trouble? Just wait to see how correct I am & then jump back in here to say thanks.

RhymeAnimal

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
As a very disenchanted former Mac fanboy writing on my 2012 Mac Pro 3.46 six-core I think you are correct. Apple refuses to offer any main-stream usable Macs. My other desktop is an HP Z workstation. While not a Mac it is far more usable, way easier to upgrade and out powers my Mac Pro.

Apple refuses to build products that operate and connect like normal computers do. Despite the fact that some Macs are really great computers all Macs are arty-farty niche-market products. Users who need a powerful, configurable workstation or an advanced gaming machine do not want a piece of desk top jewelry.

In all seriousness, I care about other professionals (especially freelancers like myself) who rely on this technology to stay current & afloat in an increasingly competitive world. When a company like Apple "toys" with our good will and ultimately restricts our options, I say f*#$ 'em. The glorious free market works both ways.

developer13245

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2012
Unfortunately, after 1000 days I'm guessing this is true. Given all the arguing on MR about the 6,1 "trash can", one would have to guess that the same arguments have been going on inside Apple for 3+ years now.

In any case, I the blame the MP failure (again, at 1000 days it is) on Jony Ive. He seems to have such a purest uncompromising arrogant attitude to design 'purity', he would never admit the trash can design was a failure ("F**King Intel keeps turning up the heat on Xeon" - kinda misses the point of the Xeon). Ive would rather shelf the "genius" of the trash can design until someone makes components to work within it, instead of designing something that work with Xeon CPUs - something he would view as an ugly compromise.

It's been said that he was "set up to be untouchable" within Apple by Jobs before Job's departure - it's only that type of political power that can bring such deadlock and ultimately demise to a product line. The timing of the trash can's appearance and "retirement" of Bob Mansfield also correlates to Ive's design power grab after Job's departure.
[doublepost=1473483062][/doublepost]Everyone has to face the facts, the cMP (tower) was always seen a compromise, but it was a compromise that Jobs knew the company needed. When jobs departed, Ive's arrogant uncompromising and untouchable attitude prevailed.

Last edited:

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
The nMP is discontinued according to an Amazon listing:
https://www.amazon.com/Apple-MD878LL-Desktop-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00747Y9C2

nMP_discontinued.PNG
Interestingly, if you click and choose the quad core, the "discontinued" tag disappears.

I do wonder what's up with this.

Reactions: grahamperrin

VAGDesign

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2014
Greece
I will copy/paste what I wrote to MBP relative thread:

I suggest Apple to stop developing XCode, iBooks Author, Swift and all Pro apps remain active. Let all developers out of tools, then they move to Android and Apple will see its beloved App Store into ruins.

There are chain reactions in technology, Apple is to find out how Emojis and Watch bands with iPhones with good cameras, cannot develop its core. The developers behind each device's usability and App.

Tim Cook is not a good captain, and Apple ship has route to the rocks.

This.

dzj

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2014
... Never going to happen with the bozos who now run Apple...
Absolutely true. They are bozos. The last MacPro was the model from 2012. I've used macs professionally and privately for 27 years. If Apple does not want to sell professional machines anymore, it it is equivalent for me to Apple renaming itself to Crapple. In this case, I will phase out everything Apple from office and work. iOS devices included.
Those are modest changes that involve different sizes of what are essentially unchanged products. None of them rethink the idea of an iPad or iPhone.

A return to a pro tower would be a complete rejection of the core philosophy of the Tube.

The core philosophy of the Tube MacPro was to maximize the expense/customer ratio, not to offer an expandable machine of use and value to the professional market.

ITguy2016

Suspended
May 25, 2016
Its rare that a successful business depends on regular computer updates. Business does not like change for change sake. Something works they stick with it, keeps productivity on an even keel. There is a lot to be said about just working. At some point, when there is a significant increase in performance or an app requires it, businesses may bite the bullet and go through the uncomfortable update process.
When you reference "business" who is that in reference to? Apple or their business customers?

Reactions: ssgbryan

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Maybe Amazon (and Apple) have marked the 6,1 as discontinued, to make way for the 7,1. One could only hope :S

I can see Apple being courageous enough to let the news trickle out slowly via 3rd parties behind the glare of the iPhone launch.

I confess to being slightly excited today. Change is coming. New hardware, new designs, new CPUs and GPUs, better pricing. Shame it'll be running Windows, but maybe that's a small price to pay for all the new opportunities, and I'll be able to get back into gaming.

Absolutely true. They are bozos. The last MacPro was the model from 2012. I've used macs professionally and privately for 27 years. If Apple does not want to sell professional machines anymore, it it is equivalent for me to Apple renaming itself to Crapple. In this case, I will phase out everything Apple from office and work. iOS devices included.

The core philosophy of the Tube MacPro was to maximize the expense/customer ratio, not to offer an expandable machine of use and value to the professional market.

Considering how much they love to lock people into their ecosystem, dumping the MacPro is a questionable tactic. Power users will leak out through the hole in the wall...

JimGoshorn

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
NY
Because the next refresh will kill the Imac completely, and call the Ipad the profressional endpoint?

And the Mac Mini will disappear, replaced by the AppleTV Pro.
I don't think they will kill of the iMac (at least this soon). They need Macs to complete their ecosystem and their feature of starting a doc on a mobile device and picking up where you left off on the Mac. The Mac lineup, IMHO, will be consolidated to the iMac (no more need for monitors) for the desk and some flavor of MacBook for portability.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
ran out of ideas to make it thin.

Apple should call in Human League with some cylinder-oriented concepts from the 1980s.

All I could see was the b-side of the disc, which had assumed a doughnut shape with the label on the outside rim. I reached for the arm which was less than one micron long … get James Burke on the case …

sigmadog

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
just west of Idaho
Interestingly, if you click and choose the quad core, the "discontinued" tag disappears.

I do wonder what's up with this.

I noticed that as well. I also noticed the 6-core was limited to only 2 left in stock. My thought was that perhaps the availability of unsold quad cores is such that it hasn't triggered a re-stock request from Amazon and therefore a "discontinued" notice has not been added.

Just a wild-a$$ guess on my part.

But if Apple has indeed discontinued the 6-core, then the other configurations can't be far behind, IMO.

Also, perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't recall a time when a product was referred to as "discontinued" when it was on the verge of being refreshed. Usually the stock quantity declines, but the seller never puts a "discontinued" notice on, say, MBPs or iMacs that are due for a refresh (or do they?).

Personally, I think Amazon has received this information directly from the manufacturer (Apple).

Last edited:

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
can't say how I know, but I have 100% confirmation this morning that Apple will discontinue the Mac Pro, instead focusing on "professional" capabilities of iMac. Will be an official acknowledgement of the discontinuation in late October.

see ya nerdz.

All 156 people will be bummed.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
Just ranting here...with a fraction of the money squandered on that stupid Apple Car they could have done a proper tower - something they have experience with.

Why are they so hostile to pros? Other companies have no trouble with broad spectrum dominance of multiple categories. Like Samsung for instance, mobile devices, heavy industry, electronics...yet Apple cannot even focus on both consumer and pro computing? WTF is wrong with them?

Reactions: mrxak and tomvos
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.