Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I saw this kind of thread on another forum and I think it would be very helpful here.

For those of you that have had either the first or both COVID Vaccine shots, post your experiences here.

This is not a thread for:
  • Political opinions re: vaccines
  • Pro or anti vaccination posts
Try to limit your responses to feedback from yourself or you partner. We don't need "My friend's brother's cabdriver's former roommate grew a third arm".

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Just got my first dose of Pfizer as HCW in Southern California yesterday.

Los Angeles County - Pomona Fairgrounds - SUPERPOD location was a mass drive thru just setup a day prior - very easy to get appointments a few days ago until the County just opened up for 65+ - now it's impossible.

GOOD:
Process was well organized -
First checkpoint: verified appointment date and time.
Second checkpoint: verified employment as HCW.
Third checkpoint: Answered questions about condition, allergies, medications, etc...
Final: Pfizer dose administered in your car - waited 15 minutes then drove off.

BAD:
Arrived on time but waited in line of cars - 20 lanes of cars - with engines running (not healthy).
1 hour wait time to get to the batch of 6 cars in front - waited 15 mins observation.
Total time: 1hr 15 mins - went past my lunch hour by 1 hour due to drive back to work.
No second dose guarantee - county nurse said try registering a week prior to the 3 week window.....
Massive pain at injection site - keep popping Advil 24 hours later.

Now massive amounts of people registering due to 65+ opening:
Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 3.47.13 PM.png

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Thanks for the feedback. Hoping Texas can get their crap together soon.

My wife had almost 0 symptoms. She's almost concerned it didn't work.

Reactions: 4sallypat

ScrumpyDaniel

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2019
My 87 year old Grandad has got his first dose tomorrow thankfully! Unsure which one he's getting, Probably Pfizer but the Oxford-Astrazanica one is out here now in the UK.

I won't get mine until July-September as i'm very far down the pecking order, which is fine because they need to vaccinate the most vulnerable first.

Reactions: Gravydog316

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I’d be okay with no symptoms. I’ve never heard of someone wanting symptoms lol
I think the OP meant that the injection should have resulted in some type of symptom like pain at the injection site...

They did warn us that the second dose will probably show more side effects as the body is already primed for the COVID proteins.

If the 95% effectiveness works then I shall be very happy that I can't spread it to others....

Reactions: AustinIllini

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
My mother who is 80 has an appointment on Monday at SUNY Albany.
I, being her caregiver, have an appointment Saturday.

Note I said we have appointments as NY is claiming they will run out of their available vaccine stock today. :(
They are using the Moderna vaccines.

As for symptoms, a doctor told me that it's usually the second dose that gives 'symptoms.' I have also heard that if you have recovered from covid already you would have a reaction. No idea is that is true.

The vaccine only protects you and you could still be a carrier? I had not heard that. Not saying I don't believe it, I just didn't know as my main reason getting it is so as not to infect mom.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
As a side note, mass vaccinations at SUNY Albany started last Friday. I am surprised that I haven't seen even ONE post anywhere on their experience. It has been a week and there has to have been a huge number of people vaccinated.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Got my vaccine in late December, next week I'll get the booster.
Type: Moderna.
Side effect: I could barely move my arm in certain positions, symptom started the day after the vaccine. Lasted a week or so. Sleeping was problematic.
Process: very efficient, wait time about 5 minutes, all scheduled online.
Process for 2nd vaccine: no need for registration, they contacted me with time and place of 2nd dosage.

Will let you know next week how the second dose goes.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Taking the vaccine only works to protect you. You can still be a carrier that spreads it to others who aren't vaccinated.
Other than touch/physical contact -
How does a vaccinated person able to spread the virus if they are now unable to become infected ?

I thought if you are not infected due to vaccine, your body is not multiplying viruses, not spewing out respiratory droplets nor contagious...

Reactions: George Dawes

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Other than touch/physical contact -
How does a vaccinated person able to spread the virus if they are now unable to become infected ?

I thought if you are not infected due to vaccine, your body is not multiplying viruses, not spewing out respiratory droplets nor contagious...

Yeah I’d also love to see some sources for this.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Will let you know next week how the second dose goes.
Do let us know the effects of the second dose you receive of the Moderna.

Moderna and Pfizer should be very similar - both mRNA vaccines.

When I got my first Pfizer dose, the county nurse warned me that the second dose may cause more side effects due to your system being primed from the first dose...

And my arm STILL hurts to lift up (48 hours) - worse than the annual flu shot!!!

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas

When I got my first Pfizer dose, the county nurse warned me that the second dose may cause more side effects due to your system being primed from the first dose...

And my arm STILL hurts to lift up (48 hours).

What I have been told is to expect to be very sick later in the day or the day after. Very, very sick.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Taking the vaccine only works to protect you. You can still be a carrier that spreads it to others who aren't vaccinated.
Whether vaccinated persons can be carriers remains unknown.

And my arm STILL hurts to lift up (48 hours) - worse than the annual flu shot!!!
My wife (physician) got her second dose of Moderna two days ago. With both doses, she had significant muscle fatigue in the following 24 hours. She also had (has) significant injection site pain and some bruising/swelling in the injection site area. After the second dose, she also had a low grade fever for about 12 hours.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
My mother who is 80 has an appointment on Monday at SUNY Albany.
I, being her caregiver, have an appointment Saturday.

Note I said we have appointments as NY is claiming they will run out of their available vaccine stock today. :(
They are using the Moderna vaccines.
Hey! My Mom (80+) got her first vaccine dose on Friday at SUNY Albany. The process is very smooth -- she was in and out in 20 minutes. Same for another friend of mine's mother.

SUNY Albany is using Pfizer exclusively I believe (both people I know got Pfizer). They scheduled their second does for 3 weeks out.

The state said they had been very conservative with the appointments they allocated to the state sites, so they don't expect to have any shortages, despite the state receiving fewer doses than they were promised/hoped.

Now could I ask you: how are you going to provide evidence you are a caretaker for your Mom? I would like to try that myself, but my understanding is you need some sort of official written healthcare documentation to qualify.

EDIT: Meant to add, my mother had no adverse reactions from the first dose. Some slight itching around the injection site a few hours later, but that was it.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
My spouse and I allegedly (I say allegedly because I hope their are enough vaccinations) have an appointment on Wednesday. We have to travel 45 miles away. This is in the "great garden state".

Reactions: jrcsh6

UnclePaulie

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2004
LA, CA
I recently completed my two doses of the Pfizer vaccine. No ill effects other than a sore arm, much more sore and swollen the second time around compared to the first, but back to normal in 2 days.
Feel relieved/grateful to get it, but I wish everyone else I know who wants it (including my family) can get it as well. Hopefully that happens soon.
To clarify some points that have been brought up in this thread about spreading Covid once vaccinated, the actual answer is nobody knows yet. Preliminary data suggests that being vaccinated at a minimum reduces transmission rate, much like most other vaccines around, so fingers crossed.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Now could I ask you: how are you going to provide evidence you are a caretaker for your Mom? I would like to try that myself, but my understanding is you need some sort of official written healthcare documentation to qualify.
And this is exactly why I wanted experiences from this site. Aside from bringing my mother to my appointment so that she can tell them I am her caretaker, there is no official documentation. I was wondering exactly what they check. I assume they check your reservation number and maybe your ID since it seems like they're trying to knock out as many appointments as possible.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
And this is exactly why I wanted experiences from this site. Aside from bringing my mother to my appointment so that she can tell them I am her caretaker, there is no official documentation. I was wondering exactly what they check. I assume they check your reservation number and maybe your ID since it seems like they're trying to knock out as many appointments as possible.
You may have luck. A friend of mine went yesterday -- he was eligible as a physical therapist and brought documentation, but they just asked how he was qualified but didn't ask for verification, and just waived him right in. (He happens to be black and wasn't sure if the Gov's push to vaccinate minorities helped...)

Would you mind reporting back how it went? I want to try myself at some point... Thanks!

Reactions: jbachandouris

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Just got my first dose of Pfizer as HCW in Southern California yesterday.

Los Angeles County - Pomona Fairgrounds - SUPERPOD location was a mass drive thru just setup a day prior - very easy to get appointments a few days ago until the County just opened up for 65+ - now it's impossible.

GOOD:
Process was well organized -
First checkpoint: verified appointment date and time.
Second checkpoint: verified employment as HCW.
Third checkpoint: Answered questions about condition, allergies, medications, etc...
Final: Pfizer dose administered in your car - waited 15 minutes then drove off.

BAD:
Arrived on time but waited in line of cars - 20 lanes of cars - with engines running (not healthy).
1 hour wait time to get to the batch of 6 cars in front - waited 15 mins observation.
Total time: 1hr 15 mins - went past my lunch hour by 1 hour due to drive back to work.
No second dose guarantee - county nurse said try registering a week prior to the 3 week window.....
Massive pain at injection site - keep popping Advil 24 hours later.

Now massive amounts of people registering due to 65+ opening:
View attachment 1717256

and that was just the start of the locations listed.....L.A. Fire Department sites, Community clinics, Ralph's pharmacies, Albertsons/Vons pharmacies, and a whole bunch of others.......all without any available reservations

I wonder how scheduling for the 2nd dose with play out

• Wow

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Brought mom with me and told them I was her caretaker. They never even asked for her verbal confirmation. Her appointment is Monday so I couldn’t get her in early (Saturday).

Pfizer vaccine. Didn’t hurt at all despite going through the scar tissue of a tattoo. Shoulder was a little sore after though. Even now, 8 hours later, it’s still a little bothersome.

They make you wait 20 minutes after the shot. No side effects. Appointment for second dose scheduled.

Reactions: poorcody

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
and that was just the start of the locations listed.....L.A. Fire Department sites, Community clinics, Ralph's pharmacies, Albertsons/Vons pharmacies, and a whole bunch of others.......all without any available reservations

I wonder how scheduling for the 2nd dose with play out
Yes, I see that now there are no more scheduled appointments available after today.

Does that mean the county ran out ?

I am worried about my second dose coming up in 2 weeks.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Yes, I see that now there are no more scheduled appointments available after today.

Does that mean the county ran out ?

I am worried about my second dose coming up in 2 weeks.

I hope it doesn't mean the county ran out. Given the recent reports that I've seen about the number of doses distributed vs the number administered in California, there is still a lot of unused vaccine that's been received. Hopefully they're keeping some in reserve for the second doses.....but who knows.

I looked at the web site this morning and noticed some changes. There are at least some locations saying "more appointments coming soon".......but still nothing available at the moment.

I suspect getting the second dose on time is going to be a matter of continuing to check the website and being ready to quickly make an appointment as soon as they become available.

I just had my first dose of Moderna vaccine on Sunday (but not at one of the pods).

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I hope it doesn't mean the county ran out. Given the recent reports that I've seen about the number of doses distributed vs the number administered in California, there is still a lot of unused vaccine that's been received. Hopefully they're keeping some in reserve for the second doses.....but who knows.

I looked at the web site this morning and noticed some changes. There are at least some locations saying "more appointments coming soon".......but still nothing available at the moment.

I suspect getting the second dose on time is going to be a matter of continuing to check the website and being ready to quickly make an appointment as soon as they become available.

I just had my first dose of Moderna vaccine on Sunday (but not at one of the pods).
Interesting. In NY, at SUNY Albany, they set up the appointment for the second dose for me. No action needed on my part.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.