Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Did you or anyone you know about if you are allergic to pencilling did they have the jab.
Many thanks As I'm allergic to it.
I am allergic to penicillin and erythromycin - had the Pfizer shot and had no reaction - they made me wait 15 minutes after the injection constantly checking on me before they released me.

The only allergic reactions may be the non vaccine ingredients such as the solubilizing polyethylene glycol, buffers, and preservatives.

Here's what the Pfizer has:
The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine includes the following ingredients:
  • mRNA, lipids ((4-hydroxybutyl)azanediyl)bis(hexane-6,1-diyl)bis(2-hexyldecanoate),
  • 2 [(polyethylene glycol)-2000]-N,N-ditetradecylacetamide,
  • 1,2-Distearoyl-sn-glycero-3- phosphocholine, and cholesterol),
  • potassium chloride,
  • monobasic potassium phosphate,
  • sodium chloride,
  • dibasic sodium phosphate dihydrate,
  • sucrose

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
About 10/11 hours in, now I Am starting to feel like crap.
Arm: pain, stronger than before.
A bit nauseous.
Legs pain.
Feeling somewhat weak and tired.
Eyes burning.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
About 10/11 hours in, now I Am starting to feel like crap.
Arm: pain, stronger than before.
A bit nauseous.
Legs pain.
Feeling somewhat weak and tired.
Eyes burning.
Yikes. That doesn't sound good at all. I was all gung ho for getting vaccinated but, the more I read experiences like this the less enthused I am about me getting a vaccine.

• Sad
Reactions: cosmichobo

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I received my vaccine 12/18/20... Pfizer.

Some mild pain after the first vaccine but felt a little under the weather 24hrs after the second dose, but nothing too unnamable.

I received my vaccination through the hospital I work for, which I had no problems with. I also own a private residential program- my employees recently became eligible for the vacation- and has been a bit of a mess as we're using a "local" mass vaccination site. It's 1hr away and I just had some of my employees tell me it took them 2.5hrs to get through (despite having appointments).

Reactions: yaxomoxay

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Got my Pfizer vaccine just about 3 weeks ago - my medical school has rolled them out to all medical students. A little prick and that was it. No side effects. Getting dose #2 on Wednesday. If I’ll have side effects, it’ll likely be within 12-24hrs after the second dose. I know a good handful of people who have had chills and fever as their body builds up an immune response. Many others without any side effects.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
I hope it doesn't mean the county ran out. Given the recent reports that I've seen about the number of doses distributed vs the number administered in California, there is still a lot of unused vaccine that's been received. Hopefully they're keeping some in reserve for the second doses.....but who knows.
My guess is that the medical industry isn't THAT stupid.

They probably see one dose as two shots just like some medications say that two pills is one dose. (Common over-the-counter painkillers can be considered as such.)

One recent debate is whether or not a second shot should be reserved.

If the first shot gives 75% immunity and the second shots increases this to 90%, is it better to immunize twice as many people to 75% than half as many at 75%?

The point of the vaccine is to reduce hospital ICU overload and excess mortality, much like the flu vaccine. It doesn't guarantee 100% immunity forever to everyone who gets it.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
My guess is that the medical industry isn't THAT stupid.

They probably see one dose as two shots just like some medications say that two pills is one dose. (Common over-the-counter painkillers can be considered as such.)

One recent debate is whether or not a second shot should be reserved.

If the first shot gives 75% immunity and the second shots increases this to 90%, is it better to immunize twice as many people to 75% than half as many at 75%?

The point of the vaccine is to reduce hospital ICU overload and excess mortality, much like the flu vaccine. It doesn't guarantee 100% immunity forever to everyone who gets it.

I don’t think so- in every instance thus far I have seen in the media and professionally, “doses” are considered individually. In the medical and insurance setting, multiple unit doses taken together are still counted as an individual unit.

This will create confusion inevitably however if we do switch to single dose protocols or if and when vaccines like Johnson&Johnson’s come to market (single dose). If 2-3 of the vaccines require two doses and 1-2+ only require one (or different patient status factors dictate number of dosing), it gets a lot harder to use “doses” as a general term.

I think one big issue is that the vials the vaccines come in are multi-dose, either containing 5 or 10 individual vaccines to be drawn up plus a short shelf life (Hours) after being drawn up. Vaccine administrators are going to be hesitant to open a new vial unless they know all the doses can be used in the short frame.

If California is anything like Massachusetts, A limited number of vaccination sites is probably the biggest hinderance. Vaccines generally aren’t being sent to individual medical practices, clinics, pharmacies, etc- only designated sites. Here in Mass theres maybe a few dozen sites, with many fully booked and may with restrictions (usually what town you work/live in). In reality there’s only a handful of mass vaccination sites actively taking appointments from anyone eligible.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
I looked at this a bit more closely and it looks like the two-shot Pfizer vaccine is considered a two-dose series per the CDC.

Whether or not the mainstream media is using the correct medical terminology is highly questionable.

Thus, 100,000 doses is 50,000 two-dose complete series.

Here in California, the limited number of vaccination sites doesn't seem to be a factor at this moment. It's the generally feeble deployment management and the piss poor communication to the general public about who is eligible to get the vaccine in the first place.

The vaccines are allocated by county and each jurisdiction has their own guidelines on which "tiers" are eligible. Worse, there are different guidelines from different healthcare providers.

Luckily for me one of the county COVID-19 vaccination centers has been set up in my city so I won't have to travel far.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
I looked at this a bit more closely and it looks like the two-shot Pfizer vaccine is considered a two-dose series per the CDC.

Whether or not the mainstream media is using the correct medical terminology is highly questionable.

Thus, 100,000 doses is 50,000 two-dose complete series.

Here in California, the limited number of vaccination sites doesn't seem to be a factor at this moment. It's the generally feeble deployment management and the piss poor communication to the general public about who is eligible to get the vaccine in the first place.

The vaccines are allocated by county and each jurisdiction has their own guidelines on which "tiers" are eligible. Worse, there are different guidelines from different healthcare providers.

here in California the problem is they don't actually have enough doses currently to provide two shots for each person in the currently eligible population groups

Previously the state had been clear that there was currently only enough vaccine for healthcare workers, and vaccinations were only offered to those workers, but the recent change (based on a CDC recommendation?) suddenly added a vast number of seniors who are 65 and older to the eligible category.....creating a mass rush

Last edited:
Reactions: 4sallypat

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
The State of California is hedging their bets that more doses will be delivered on an ongoing basis so the second shot in a two-dose series can be administered within a reasonable timeframe.

Remember that the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines have a very short shelf life. From the limited testing those vaccines' efficacy drops over time.

A constant steady supply of doses from the pharmaceutical companies will help enormously but this is beyond the control of any government at this time.

It's like the county receives a carton of a dozen eggs. Rather than set aside two eggs from the same carton for you, you get one and eleven other people get one egg. In a month, hopefully another carton arrives and you get a new egg rather than a month-old egg from the first carton.

I am deliberately trying to avoid memorizing every single detail about these vaccines because I can't control these factors. I will get whatever vaccine is available as soon as I am eligible.

I want to travel internationally with octogenarian family members and it is unlikely that we will be able fly overseas without some certificate that says we received vaccines.

Dwelling about every possible pitfall/shortcoming of these vaccines is asinine. I have a better chance dying on the freeway in an auto accident.

Last edited:

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
My God... I feel like crap. It’s 1am here, and I am in pain, with shivers. Everything hurts. Headache. It’s cold. Cold cold. My arm is on fire. My eyes are on fire. My heart is beating fast. Light fever. I can’t fall asleep for more than 20 minutes without waking up in pain. There’s no way I can go to work. I can’t even lay in bed.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
@ yaxomoxay, I hope you get past that reaction soon!

My state is opening up group 1b, and I will qualify in three weeks. However, my medical provider's policy is "Don't call us, we'll call you." Since I don't have compromised health, and I'm at the younger end of the spectrum, I suspect it will be a long time before they contact me.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
My God... I feel like crap. It’s 1am here, and I am in pain, with shivers. Everything hurts. Headache. It’s cold. Cold cold. My arm is on fire. My eyes are on fire. My heart is beating fast. Light fever. I can’t fall asleep for more than 20 minutes without waking up in pain. There’s no way I can go to work. I can’t even lay in bed.
Hopefully you recover within the next day because it must be miserable. Is it difficult for you to lay still in the bed or to sit still? This does sound like an allergic reaction, especially with the eyes.

My company was supposed to get it this week but there's been no news at all so potential delay inbound... I am allergic to penicillin so I will report what it's like for me, although I cannot confirm for certain that it will be the direct cause of any issues I may run into.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
here in California the problem is they don't actually have enough doses currently to provide two shots for each person in the currently eligible population groups

Previously the state had been clear that there was currently only enough vaccine for healthcare workers, and vaccinations were only offered to those workers, but the recent change (based on a CDC recommendation?) suddenly added a vast number of seniors who are 65 and older to the eligible category.....creating a mass rush
CA Governor said they are launching a new app called "My Turn".

It's useless !

I am worried as a HCW to receive a 2nd dose due to the recent governor who said all doses being held back for 2nd doses will be used for 1st dose to others....

The appointment system does not show any availability the entire remaining month at any of the county 5 MegaPod sites...
Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 6.42.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 6.39.13 AM.png

Geepaw

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2021
I have heard others that get this kind of reaction as well. For them it past within a day or two. I hope you are feeling better soon! This must not be a fun experience to go through.

SkiHound2

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2018
I had my first Moderna vaccination and had only very mild reaction. Arm was a little sore for a couple of days and I woke up the next morning with a headache and felt mildly fatigued. Took a couple of ibuprofen and forced myself to take the dogs for a brisk walk. The vitamin i and cool fresh air did its work and by noon I was feeling fine. I'd describe the arm pain as mild. My reaction to the flu shot this year was more severe; my arm was sore for well over a week. Getting my second shot this afternoon. Feel very fortunate to have the opportunity. I am over 65 and I'm still working in a health care setting, though not dealing directly with patients.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
I had my first dose of Moderna vaccine on Sunday and so far I've had just a very mild reaction. A small amount of soreness in my arm right around where the needle went in, and a bit of very mild fatigue.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I wonder which pain / inflammation drug is best for this type of reaction ?

Ibuprofen, acetaminophen, vicodin, or COX2 inhibitor (Celebrex) ???

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Yikes. That doesn't sound good at all. I was all gung ho for getting vaccinated but, the more I read experiences like this the less enthused I am about me getting a vaccine.
as I posted earlier in this thread, my wife got Moderna and also felt bad, but she was fine 12-24 hours later. I'd say it was like she had a mild flu for about 12 hours and then a little fatigue for another 12 hours. Very, very much worth it.

yaxomoxay said:
I'm sorry to hear that and hope you feel better soon. Take some Tylenol and ride it out; still worth it!!

Last edited:

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I wonder which pain / inflammation drug is best for this type of reaction ?

Ibuprofen, acetaminophen, vicodin, or COX2 inhibitor (Celebrex) ???

I took insane quantities of Excedrin and felt better. 1:15pm here and now I am feeling worse and tired again. Not as bad as last night.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I had my first dose of Moderna on January 21st and will receive the second dose around February 18th or so....

The day after, I experienced mild pain/discomfort in my left arm at the injection site and around the shoulder area, but not serious enough that I felt the need to take anything for it (I have a high tolerance for pain anyway). That pretty much went away the following day, but there was some slight itching the day after that. I also noticed that I was a bit more tired than usual the evening of the day I received the shot and also on the following day -- not anything serious, but I didn't feel quite as energetic as usual.

From everything I'm reading about the second dose and what follows it, I'm definitely not looking forward to that! Yikes! However, I'll solider through it one way or another.....it still is better than having a raging case of COVID-19 and winding up in the hospital and/or the ICU on a ventilator!

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
CA Governor said they are launching a new app called "My Turn".

It's useless !

I am worried as a HCW to receive a 2nd dose due to the recent governor who said all doses being held back for 2nd doses will be used for 1st dose to others....

The appointment system does not show any availability the entire remaining month at any of the county 5 MegaPod sites...
View attachment 1719737
View attachment 1719735

The page does seem to be changing every day, so keep checking daily!

Quite apart from the issue of whether there's actually vaccine available, it's likely to take a little time to get the new website functioning properly.

It isn't just in LA county where it's hard to get an appointment. I read that when Riverside County opened its reservation website last week, all the available time slots were taken within the first 32 minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.