Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
So we now have TWO critique threads running? I thought people were going to use the new one which was recently started and which would be changed on a monthly basis....? This Critics Corner thread hadn't been used in a while so it's odd to see it suddenly pop back into action again along with the new thread..... I think sticking to just one of these is the less confusing way to go.

Oops, but this is/was a sticky?

should I re-post?

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
Well, it looks to me as though AFB gave you some nice suggestions and showed how he had made adjustments to your images.... Up to you if you want more..... and if that is the case, then a good idea to post in the new thread.
Best close this then, or at least demote from sticky

Mark0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
SW Scotland
So, power lines in or power lines out, let me know what you think....

Out

Killantringan Lighthouse small PL.png

In

DSCF2677-Enhanced-Pano-Edit-Power Lines.png

PhilBoogie

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2014
DSC_7283.jpg

Please guys, critique away.

I think it doesn't 'work', since the sun is directly in the middle. Not that the Rule Of Thirds is a requirement, but there's a reason why that 'rule' exists. Like to read your opinions.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
View attachment 2131116

Please guys, critique away.

I think it doesn't 'work', since the sun is directly in the middle. Not that the Rule Of Thirds is a requirement, but there's a reason why that 'rule' exists. Like to read your opinions.
To me, a photo has to be pretty bad to consider it "not working." This image in no way doesn't work; it has a lot of interesting details. 🙂

That said, while the sun being in the middle doesn't really bother me, the horizon line being in the middle does. When you have the horizon right in the middle, the viewer gives equal weight to both halves and it's difficult to discern what the photographer deemed as important. For me personally, I like the bottom portion of this image because, while the colors in the sky are really pretty, there's nothing there to hold my attention. By contrast, there is a lot of stuff going on in the bottom of the frame.

And speaking of contrast, for me personally, I like more dynamic range. This is a highly personal opinion, and there will be others here who disagree with this and like the contrast as is. But I first saw this image on my phone, and I didn't realize there are little bridge structures and that the dark bit between the tidal pool (?) and lake (?) has details. The shadows are all blocked and I want to know what all that stuff is.

Here is a really quick play. I recropped it to move the horizon higher (and had to content aware some of the bottom bit to make up for it). I also tried to keep the same brightness levels for the sky and foreground water (but it might be slightly brighter overall), but added in some light to the areas that are mostly black in your original. A slight brighten and crop let the little bridge structure fall on the left ROT line, and the horizon line is pretty close to the upper ROT line. This gives the eye space to wander and rest as it looks through the frame. I was careful to try to keep with the original low light feel of this, and did not move it to bright any air, but now there is better separation of the grasses and ground area.

temp copy.jpg

PhilBoogie

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2014
To me, a photo has to be pretty bad to consider it "not working." This image in no way doesn't work; it has a lot of interesting details. 🙂

That said, while the sun being in the middle doesn't really bother me, the horizon line being in the middle does. When you have the horizon right in the middle, the viewer gives equal weight to both halves and it's difficult to discern what the photographer deemed as important. For me personally, I like the bottom portion of this image because, while the colors in the sky are really pretty, there's nothing there to hold my attention. By contrast, there is a lot of stuff going on in the bottom of the frame.

And speaking of contrast, for me personally, I like more dynamic range. This is a highly personal opinion, and there will be others here who disagree with this and like the contrast as is. But I first saw this image on my phone, and I didn't realize there are little bridge structures and that the dark bit between the tidal pool (?) and lake (?) has details. The shadows are all blocked and I want to know what all that stuff is.

Here is a really quick play. I recropped it to move the horizon higher (and had to content aware some of the bottom bit to make up for it). I also tried to keep the same brightness levels for the sky and foreground water (but it might be slightly brighter overall), but added in some light to the areas that are mostly black in your original. A slight brighten and crop let the little bridge structure fall on the left ROT line, and the horizon line is pretty close to the upper ROT line. This gives the eye space to wander and rest as it looks through the frame. I was careful to try to keep with the original low light feel of this, and did not move it to bright any air, but now there is better separation of the grasses and ground area.

View attachment 2131229

Oe, thanking you kindlyfor taking the time to write this all up! Much appreciated Molly.

Aha, it was the horizon that was off. I knew there was something bothering me, but since I took a few pictures I uploaded this 'bothering one' to understand why it was, well, off. And you're right (aka I agree): there's nothing in the air happening, so no need to emphasise on that. So, a good crop it is.

It's farmers land, and I have no idea why there is a fence running towards that water (ditch).

If you don't mind I'll attach 3 other shots, more of a 'FYVP' (for your viewing pleasure), should the photos be 'easy on the eye'.

Thanks,
Phil

Attachments

• DSC_7280.jpg
    DSC_7280.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC_7288.jpg
    DSC_7288.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC_7286.jpg
    DSC_7286.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 77
Reactions: mollyc

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Oe, thanking you kindlyfor taking the time to write this all up! Much appreciated Molly.

Aha, it was the horizon that was off. I knew there was something bothering me, but since I took a few pictures I uploaded this 'bothering one' to understand why it was, well, off. And you're right (aka I agree): there's nothing in the air happening, so no need to emphasise on that. So, a good crop it is.

It's farmers land, and I have no idea why there is a fence running towards that water (ditch).

If you don't mind I'll attach 3 other shots, more of a 'FYVP' (for your viewing pleasure), should the photos be 'easy on the eye'.

Thanks,
Phil
i love the footprints showing in the dew of the bridge 🙂

Reactions: PhilBoogie

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Haven't posted images in quite some time and would love some thoughts on this one though. I want to go back and retake this shot on my DSLR, not my iPhone, maybe night/twilight, but I'll have to wait till winter now since leaves on the trees will block the light. I might go back just to see what it looks like. A nice colorful sunset would be awesome. Also I have to see if stars tracks on a long exposure are an option (wildly dependent on what's even visible on such a narrow view of the sky). Getting to the silo at the moment is problematic since it's off the beaten path, a heavily tic infested path. That might sound like an excuse, but it's seriously bad in the spring/summer/fall.

Attachments

• IMG_3407.jpg
    IMG_3407.jpg
    859.9 KB · Views: 53

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Haven't posted images in quite some time and would love some thoughts on this one though. I want to go back and retake this shot on my DSLR, not my iPhone, maybe night/twilight, but I'll have to wait till winter now since leaves on the trees will block the light. I might go back just to see what it looks like. A nice colorful sunset would be awesome. Also I have to see if stars tracks on a long exposure are an option (wildly dependent on what's even visible on such a narrow view of the sky). Getting to the silo at the moment is problematic since it's off the beaten path, a heavily tic infested path. That might sound like an excuse, but it's seriously bad in the spring/summer/fall.
Nice. One of those images you have to think about for a moment to work out what it is.
If it was my photo I’d try the tree at 7:30 rather than 9:00 if you know what I mean. It bothers me slightly at right angles. But balanced at 45 degrees with the ladder might work better.

Reactions: Mr. Anderson

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I'm with AFB, I like the idea of this image.

Conceptually I think the tree is supposed to be strongest element, but I feel like the ladder thing has more visual weight. It bothers me that the ladder is not centered. I think I might try to retake this with the ladder at 5 o'clock and the tree at 7 o'clock (or however that works out). The two elements would both then act as leading lines up to the sky. I would also try really hard to have the camera perfectly centered side to side to keep the bricks the same height as they go round the circle; as it is shot here, the bricks on the right seem larger than the bricks on the left.

This is a super fun location though. Please come back and show us the result when you reshoot.

Reactions: Mr. Anderson

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I should have mentioned it was an abandoned silo on an old farm that burnt down decades ago. Not so interesting outside shot.
1685987032531.jpeg

Reactions: mollyc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.