Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
The problem with round buildings is you can't simply put a rectangular shaped object flat against the wall

My current office has a round exterior, plus it's a lot smaller (remember that you'll notice the curve less with a larger circle). We have no problem putting things on walls, especially since we happen to have more than one wall and they are all flat. The exterior one is a window, anyway. ;)

Fisse

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2008
This is not good at all. Now if anyone builds a round building you will sued by apple for copyright lol

jacktorrance

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2009

I can see why you're a medic and not an architect. The first two examples you posted - particularly the very first one - are awful examples of 'awesome buildings'. In fact, the only awesome building in your list is the Seattle Library. You don't get out much either, do you?

nerdo

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2010
Deathstar Cantina
Nothing truly exists until it has been presented by Steve jobs.

It's a circle, they've been around a few years...:confused:

----------

hehe I think they are all terrible to be honest.

These are kinda cute:

http://www.overseaspropertymall.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/londonoffices.jpg
http://www.artsjournal.com/realcleararts/museo-guggenheim-bilbao.jpg
http://lh6.ggpht.com/-srbu_lwFfoU/SU_XQmDhsQE/AAAAAAAACw4/vh8bI8ccrZA/BestBuildings.jpg
http://prblog.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/07/31/union_terminal.jpg
http://0.tqn.com/d/architecture/1/0/u/o/Pedrera000000788450.jpg

But it is all a mater of taste and what you have seen before.

I can see why you're a medic and not an architect. The first two examples you posted - particularly the very first one - are awful examples of 'awesome buildings'. In fact, the only awesome building in your list is the Seattle Library. You don't get out much either, do you?

always knew apple would be going around in circles by 2015

jacktorrance

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2009

That's the first time in my career as an Architect that I've ever heard anyone refer to a building as 'cute'.

If you really are interested in good architecture - something that this thread isn't concerned with - check out the likes of Carmody Groarke (http://www.carmodygroarke.com/projects/public/100.html), David Chipperfield (http://www.davidchipperfield.co.uk/), NORD (http://nordarchitecture.com/home/#) to name a few.

It's not only a matter of taste but understanding, too.

nervouk

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2002
tokyo
I'd love to take a guided tour of it someday... which would probably end in me exploding with jealousy :eek:

Daze & Confuse

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
Why is everyone getting so excited?

GCHQ-007.jpg

Look familier?

This is an extremely famous building in the UK - which is where the architects for the Spaceship come from.

The Spaceship's going to be a very nice building, granted, but lets not think Apple are breaking new ground by being the first people to think of a round building with a hole in the middle!

Want to see real ground breaking buildings with a hole in the middle?

pa014-Grande_arche_de_la_defense.jpg

La Grande Arche de la Défense, Paris

09%20CCTV%20tower%20building.jpg

CCTV Building, Beijing

arcite

macrumors 6502a

Look familier?

This is an extremely famous building in the UK - which is where the architects for the Spaceship come from.

The Spaceship's going to be a very nice building, granted, but lets not think Apple are breaking new ground by being the first people to think of a round building with a hole in the middle!

EWW. At least Jobs had the sense to put the parking underground and replace an asphalt wasteland with an Apple orchard. :rolleyes:

Daze & Confuse

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
EWW. At least Jobs had the sense to put the parking underground and replace an asphalt wasteland with an Apple orchard. :rolleyes:

I didn't realise Jobs designed the headquarters - I thought it was Foster and Partners. Silly me. Steve really is a genius isn't he!

GCHQ is a spy headquarters - they're understandably going to be less focussed on the aesthetics than Apple, a company which has built a large portion of its business on aesthetics. My point was that the Apple headquarters are a refining of a concept - not a whole new idea.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
You didn't even look at the stuff, did you? The entire roof of the parking structure is solar panels. The building and construction will more than likely be a high grade of LEED certification. Glass is the worst possible material? Let's get on telling that to everyone else who uses glass in construction...

To people complaining about walking around the building and how it's inefficient... I bet you've never been inside the Pentagon. For being the size it is and all that it holds, it's probably one of the easiest buildings I've had the pleasure of navigating through. It's not that hard when you know where you're going and the time to walk around isn't much, 15-20 minutes max.

I guarantee you that it doesn't take more than 15 or 20 minutes to walk around the entire Apple building. Look at the plans, page 4/18 for example. You can see the elevators and bathrooms, so you can take an idea of scale for a single human being and the average speed of walking and realize that it looks huge on paper, but it's not all that huge in reality.

When I worked at a large company in downtown Pittsburgh, we had offices and departments strung throughout 5 buildings downtown. If I wanted to go to the main building for something and then back to my office, it was easily a 20 minute trip through multiple security zones, multiple elevators, having to walk outside through whatever elements, whether it be rain or heat or snow and frigid temperatures and traffic. Right now, I know Apple employees who work in buildings quite far from 1 Infinite Loop, so if they had to go there for instance or to another, it's easily a 20-30 minute trip, use of their car or shuttles. This will be great for getting everyone important under one roof (for the most part, the research buildings and other things are obviously separate) and sparking more collaboration, which leads to greater efficiency, which is always a good thing.

My bad, there is solar. Didn't see the parking structure.

Actually, I love many glass buildings for their aesthetics, all colorful and shiny. I also like old buildings made of brick and stone. I notice that many glass buildings tend to look dated after a few years, whereas the better solid buildings have lots of architectural details and look great for hundreds of years.

Will the Apple building look good in a few decades? Or will it look like some "space age" structure built in the '50s along Route 66?

Even hideously expensive and heavy multiple-wall glass has a very low R-value. There are all sorts of codes regarding window area in homes which is why in many areas you see lots of wall and small window areas on newer houses. Perhaps industrial buildings have more lenient standards.

Big building often have no heating as the thousands of occupants and machines heat them, but all this requires huge AC systems to cool things down.

If you follow those construction shows, note that the huge glass buildings going up in the Middle East have all sorts of elaborate shades and schemes to promote air flow and shading from adjacent structures.

So, I stand by the statement that glass buildings are inefficient. And that not that many of them stand the test of time aesthetically, but that is just opinion.

Only takes 15-20 minutes to walk to the furthest office? That's a half-hour round trip! That's longer than many commutes! Ol' Steve is going to see all these people walking endlessly around and a memo will be put out requiring a hall pass...

What the place needs is a Segway highway running around it.

Personally, I would rather see blighted areas revived than new ground broken.

But, one smart thing is that there is parking. Realistic.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
From Jobs' presentation and the current plans, it appears that's what they're planning to do.

Directly from him:

"We’ve got an auditorium, cause we put on presentations, much like we did yesterday but we have to go to San Francisco to do them."

He was referring to his keynote at WWDC at Moscone the day before.

Errr, WWDC can't possibly be a representative example of scale. The 'overflow' room for the WWDC keynote is over 1,000 folks.

"...the Presidio (the keynote room) is so big, it's a tiny percentage who have to go to the overflow rooms (maybe the last 1,500 or so). ... "
http://iphonedevelopment.blogspot.com/2010/04/wwdc-first-time-guide-2010-edition.html

The 'like' that Jobs is referring to is traveling to SF. Not the "We need big enough space for world scale dog and pony presentations". He threw that out there because had just done it more so than being representative.

The ones that are on the chopping block are the Yerba Buena product intros with large scale media. The size is about right YB = 757 vs. new proposed ~1,000. The logistics problems I pointed out are still the same. The auditorium appears to be outside the security fence so they could, but remains to be seen if they will. Moving the presentations to weekend or out of work hours can free up parking (there are around 750 parking places near the auditorium. About 1/2 or 3/4 of that would make sense to dedicate to "once a quarter or more " talks. ).

What the larger auditorium will do is allow them to do the Antenngate, iOS intro , new tech intro (unibody laptop), etc. to a larger set of press folks and simpler logistics (at edge of campus with edge of campus parking). Whether the iPhone, iPod, and periodic Mac intros move back here is a toss up.

I'd be happy though if they stripped the 'dog and pony' keynote from WWDC. It could go back to being more focused as a developers conference.
They could probably sell 500 tickets to "Steve's big tent revivial" to non developers down at HQ and just beam the session up to the folks at WWDC who really wanted to see it. I bet that would squeeze a few more developers into the developers conference.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
1. Am I the only one who thinks this structure smacks of the Pentagon, both in looks and in philosophy? I know this is round and the Pentagon is, well, a pentagon, but the big building with a giant hollow center is very Pentagon-ish. Plus they look like they will be roughly the same size.
2. Am I the only one who thinks building this in California, an increasingly terrible state for taxes (and a lot of other business related things) is not the best idea? I guess this generation of Tech czars are just too liberal and have so much money that they can afford to cost themselves (and the company) money because they want to stay in beautiful Northern California where all the rest of the cool liberal visionaries live. Maybe 30 years from now when more pragmatic people are running Google, eBay, Apple and Oracle they will think about locating the business headquarters in Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida etc, etc, etc. I guess now they're just making too much money to care about a few billion every year needlessly lost to the welfare state of California.

The southern states are the real welfare states. They survive because they get our tax dollars. They like to brag because they hate guvment and have low taxes. That is because we pay their taxes for them. If the coastal states cut off the south, it would totally collapse and all them there tea baggers would be standing in the welfare line tomorrow.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
The southern states are the real welfare states. They survive because they get our tax dollars. They like to brag because they hate guvment and have low taxes. That is because we pay their taxes for them. If the coastal states cut off the south, it would totally collapse and all them there tea baggers would be standing in the welfare line tomorrow.

I also wonder where this guy thinks the employees would come from. Silicon valley is where the engineers are, and I assure you very few want to move.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Even hideously expensive and heavy multiple-wall glass has a very low R-value.
Big building often have no heating as the thousands of occupants and machines heat them, but all this requires huge AC systems to cool things down.

Nice to remove the issue of low R-value just a paragraph or so below where you state it is a problem.

If Cupertino were a Minneapolis or Phoenix suburb you might have a point. The average temp for the Cupertino area is rather moderate so for vast majority of the year the heat source is inside the building.

Similarly Oracle doesn't seem to be suffering from excessive heat bills either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Oracle_Headquarters_Redwood_Shores.jpg

That's a half-hour round trip! That's longer than many commutes!

commutes other than Silicon Valley. In commute traffic, it would take Jobs 20-30 minutes to get to Cupertino from Palo Alto.

Ol' Steve is going to see all these people walking endlessly around and a memo will be put out requiring a hall pass...

You seem to be missing the point that some people are already doing it..... outside. The building won't eliminate the walking for a small few. But a larger building will cut down the number of commutes if the most of the teams that have large group interactions with one another are located 1-2 sections away from each other. With a smaller building at some point you can't put teams in close proximity in the same building.

So the architectural problem is to put lots of people into a large building that is not a skyscraper. Roundish/multi-sided buildings are the best way to do this.

P.S. if you look at the renderings PDF you'll see the roof is largely not glass.

But, one smart thing is that there is parking. Realistic.

Actually the parking seems to assume that folks with leave at largely stagged intervals. There are relatively few entrances for the given number of spaces. I suspect that is because people will have to "badge" to get into the majority of the parking area. If they don't Apple has a problem.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Which goes to show how 'green' the building is. No one will ever walk or bike to the campus. The property is huge and set apart from the community and teh street grid.

Welcome to America, where people drive everywhere. I personally hate driving with a passion, but have to to get to some of my clients.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007

And just who are you to tell other people what is good and what is awful??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It's unreal the arrogance some people have and amazing how people don't know the truth from an opinion these days.

applebook

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2009
And just who are you to tell other people what is good and what is awful??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It's unreal the arrogance some people have and amazing how people don't know the truth from an opinion these days.

He says that he's an architect. His opinion does matter more, but I completely agree with your sentiment that one doesn't need to be arrogant to get a point across. Some tact on his part would be helpful ;)

jacktorrance

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2009

If you'd have read the post I was replying to you would have seen that I was responding to arrogance with arrogance. You might not appreciate that as an approach but then we all respond to things in different ways.

As for your question about who I am to tell other people what is good and what is awful, clearly everything statement we make - unless it's one of pure fact - is a matter of opinion and I shouldn't have to qualify everything I write by stating that point. Also, I'd like to think that after 7 years of education and an equivalent number of years in practice as an architect I do have some idea of what makes a good or an awful building. Considerate, sensitive, intelligent and socially responsive architecture isn't simply about opinion or about what we are used to being exposed to on a daily basis.

I suppose, to be clear, I should state that what I've written above is simply my opinion.

Last edited:

TsunamiTheClown

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Fiery+Cross+Reef
My point was that the Apple headquarters are a refining of a concept - not a whole new idea.

Whole new idea??? Why would anyone think that this building(or any other contemporary design) is a whole new idea? Architecture is not a new game. So 'whole new idea' is not the point. Execution and design are very important, but novelty is not the idea here.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Whole new idea??? Why would anyone think that this building(or any other contemporary design) is a whole new idea? Architecture is not a new game. So 'whole new idea' is not the point. Execution and design are very important, but novelty is not the idea here.

Some people wouldn't be happy with anything less than a hoverbuilding.

thomaus

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2007
Reminds me of Gen-Sys Headquarters

And I can imagine the apes breaking those those nice glass walls, and swinging through all the trees around it.

But that's probably due to having seen Rise of the Planet of the Apes yesterday. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.