Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
What do you guys think? I'm going to be ordering a new iPod (95% sure it'll be a white 4g nano) and I'm trying to decide wether to have it engraved or not. I could have something to ID it if it were stolen or misplaced, or something fun, like "Don't Panic", or both.

Now that Apple is doing the laser engraving free, what are your guys' opinion?

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
clayj said:
Don't do it if you have any plans ever to sell it.

That was my first thought, too. Although non-ID fun engraving (so no names, nicknames, etc) probably wouldn't be to bad on the resale value...

Ashapalan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
England
why on this earth would you buy a nano with the thought of selling it in the future?

Custom ingrave it to say what the heart is telling you to say.
I know i would.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
I'm a constant upgrader, so there is a good chance the nano could end up for sale eventually... I'm not sure what I will do on mine yet, but I was just curious how other people felt about the engraving option.

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
I'm with Ashapalam on this one.

I'd custom engrave mine to my hearts content. Individuality is a good thing. :D

But then again, i'm the kind of person that keeps his possessions until the day they die. If you're considering selling it, either don't engrave it or engrave something that a wide audience wouldn't mind having on their ipod.

Also, you can think about how important the engraving really is to you. Think really hard. Do you think the engraving would lose its novelty in the long run? If you think the answer is yes, then it's probably a good idea not to get it for the sake of the resale value.

In the end, its up to you. Good luck! ;)

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
if you don't mind the extra wait go for it, its nice to have a personalised Nano, the only thing that will effect the re-sale value is if the engraving is your full name, make the engraving a quote or slogan,

ShadOW

Edit: check out this site for engraving ideas:http://www.ipodlaughs.com/ipod/iengraver/

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
I think that I should have engraved my nano. That little monster goes through so much, and keeps toughing it out. There are so many little scratches that I think that I might use this nano to its dying day - or else use it to a point where I won't be able to sell it when I do want to upgrade.

*grumble* Should have bought a case...

md11

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2005
Europe
No engraving -> higher value.
All the time I check auctionsites I'm surprised what people are paying for used/old iPods..

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
that iPod Engraving Utility link is awesome! :D
wish i'd known of that before i got my iPod.

i'd definitely put something on there that's funny... but nothing that's on that site. don't want to have a mass-engraved slogan on your iPod.

but yeah, definitely do it! :D
i'd just stay away from names and other identifying info.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
mrgreen4242 said:
... I'm trying to decide wether to have it engraved or not. I could have something to ID it if it were stolen or misplaced, or something fun, like "Don't Panic", or both.

I would engrave with any saying you like. As far as the possible impact upon resale value, let's remember that we are not exactly dealing with an item that has a high cost to begin with.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I thought that if you have it engraved, you cannot return it, have the battery changed or things like that.

maddav

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2004
Manchester, UK
I don't like having my iPods engraved, partly because I can never think of anything to put on them.

Now if I was buying one for someone's birthday i could engrave that! ;)

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
the battery probably will be dead long before you want to sell it. by that time, it'll seem like a better idea to upgrade than to replace the battery.

engrave. stand out in a tiny, conformist way :)

the_freddinator

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2005
SE PA
cube said:
I thought that if you have it engraved, you cannot return it, have the battery changed or things like that.

Nope- just takes a li'l longer. You can't get it engraved at the apple store anyway, so stuff like that would require sending in and stuff....

servognome

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2005
mrgreen4242 said:
What do you guys think? I'm going to be ordering a new iPod (95% sure it'll be a white 4g nano) and I'm trying to decide wether to have it engraved or not. I could have something to ID it if it were stolen or misplaced, or something fun, like "Don't Panic", or both.

Now that Apple is doing the laser engraving free, what are your guys' opinion?

I got my nano with "Don't Panic" engraved on the back. :D Hardest part is figuring out what to write, especially with the 23 character-2line restriction. So many great quotes, just don't quite fit.

If you get something widely known and/or not too conspicuous, like "Don't Panic" it doesn't really affect the resell price that much.
If it's something that truly is personal, it will impact resell. How many people on ebay want to get an ipod that says "Mikey's Awesome Ipod of Doom"?

Must.Get.nano!

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2005
somethin like..........

Hands off! ...
Anythin that doesnt kill me only makes me stronger? ...
ummm....

all that comes to mind right now, ill be happy to post once more come to my head.

iPaul

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.