Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macOSX-tastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2005
At the Airport. UK
hi guys,

apple sells only one 3rd party bluetooth adapter, by DLink. i am planning to purchase one in order to add bluetooth functionality to my mac mini.

my question relates to whether or not the adapter offers 100% compatibility with the wireless keyboard and mouse. also, whether it will be fully integrated into the system, not needing any new adapters or anything for the mini. (literally 'plug and play' in its purest form)
any input once again greatly appreciated.

tastic

pncc

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
macOSX-tastic said:
hi guys,

apple sells only one 3rd party bluetooth adapter, by DLink. i am planning to purchase one in order to add bluetooth functionality to my mac mini.

my question relates to whether or not the adapter offers 100% compatibility with the wireless keyboard and mouse. also, whether it will be fully integrated into the system, not needing any new adapters or anything for the mini. (literally 'plug and play' in its purest form)
tastic

YES. 100% compatibility.

Learnincurve

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2005
DBT-120 + wireless keyboard

I have one of theres (R-4) flashed with mac firmware upgrade..

Works great with the wireless (Bluetooth) keyboard EXCEPT:

It doesn't react to the vol. up, down and mute keys, and the cd eject key is misread as F12.

Unless there's something wrong with my keyboard??

Has anyone else had these worries?

Cheers

Marius

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Learnincurve said:
I have one of theres (R-4) flashed with mac firmware upgrade..

Works great with the wireless (Bluetooth) keyboard EXCEPT:

It doesn't react to the vol. up, down and mute keys, and the cd eject key is misread as F12.

Unless there's something wrong with my keyboard??

Has anyone else had these worries?

Cheers

Marius

You are not using a Mac, as per your thread.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
Yes, 100% Compatibility. I have a Powerbook with built-in Bluetooth and I always used the Apple Wireless Keyboard/Mouse with it. Since getting my Power Mac, all I bought was this D-Link Adapter, and there is no difference between the Power Mac and Powerbook in terms of Bluetooth connectivity. Just plug it in and away you go, no drivers required :cool:

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
macOSX-tastic said:
hi guys,

tastic

well i dunno about the mouse n stuffs but it works flawlessly with my RAZR...

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
macOSX-tastic said:
...apple sells only one 3rd party bluetooth adapter, by DLink. i am planning to purchase one in order to add bluetooth functionality to my mac mini...
Not that it makes any real difference but you do have the choice of any other USB BT module not just the D-Link. I've used the D-Link, a Belkin and a MS unit and the only problems I had were that the MS one needed to be powered by the USB port on the PC rather than the keyboard(I was only using it for iSync, FT and a BT mouse) and the D-Link fell apart.

henryseiden

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2009
hi guys,

tastic

I have a DBT-120 (older unit) that my wife used for a while on an old MacBook without internal bluetooth. However on my Macbook Pro and intended for my MacPro (without Bluetooth internal) it sadly doesn't work in OS X 10.6.4 (Snow Leopard). I looked on the D-link site and there is some talk of a new download, but I can find nothing else. So could not use the one I have. There are other models of the DBT-120 to look at.

Good Luck,

Henry

Retrostarscream

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2010
Miami FL
I'm on the fence for getting this adapter for my bluetooth deficient Powermac as well. Have read many reviews on it & have heard mostly positive things about it. In many accounts it does say that it is simply plug & play, however it may / may not require a download from apple's site at most.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.