Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do you like the background wallpaper darkening feature ?

• What darkening feature ?

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Don´t care ...

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • It´s okay for me....

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Don´t like it but can easily live with it...

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Not my thing, annoying, but what can you do ?

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Really bad, hate it ... Apple should make that optional....

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Hateful... If this will remain, I might even leave iOS sooner or later ..

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Nice thing, really useful, like it ! But optional would be ok for me, too.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Perfect, simply perfect. Should stay as it is !

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MrJandali

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2013
Foto 20.09.16, 08 02 17.png

This morning I wondered why my iPhone 6 Plus background picture was so... flat colored ...
I checked all settings, but anything what could have caused that flaw was deactivated...
Just to be sure I did a reset... But no change...

Took a look at my iPad Pro 9.7 ... and guess what... the same !

As it seems this is a "feature" ? Is this true ? Would you confirm ?

What do you say ? Relaxed ? I mean .... I feel quiet pi**ed ... really.... This is the picture I look at many times a day... And I even can´t have it the way it is ? This really makes me sick and angry... really ....

What about you ? Do you like that "feature" ? Don´t you care ? What do you think why did Apple such a thing ? Because - besides the fact this is a force - I can´t see no use in it at all. For what do we have those super-brillant-shiny-colorful display technologies if the main screen background picture gets flattened out ? I´m shocked...

Thanks...

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I'd honestly not noticed it until I read this thread, but when I double check it definitely knocks the colours / brightness down a notch.

Doesn't bother me as I have a pretty subtle background image but I can understand why you'd be annoyed if you deliberately chose a bright background :)

strategicthinke

Suspended
Feb 6, 2014
Rio de Janeiro
I hate it. I had a golden washed wallpaper to keep it like the border of my golden iP6+ (the same kind of effect of the iPhone 5c, where the border of the screen was reflected in the default stock background). Now it's too dark to ressemble the golden hue of the phone itself.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
View attachment 655350

This morning I wondered why my iPhone 6 Plus background picture was so... flat colored ...
I checked all settings, but anything what could have caused that flaw was deactivated...
Just to be sure I did a reset... But no change...

Took a look at my iPad Pro 9.7 ... and guess what... the same !

As it seems this is a "feature" ? Is this true ? Would you confirm ?

What do you say ? Relaxed ? I mean .... I feel quiet pi**ed ... really.... This is the picture I look at many times a day... And I even can´t have it the way it is ? This really makes me sick and angry... really ....

What about you ? Do you like that "feature" ? Don´t you care ? What do you think why did Apple such a thing ? Because - besides the fact this is a force - I can´t see no use in it at all. For what do we have those super-brillant-shiny-colorful display technologies if the main screen background picture gets flattened out ? I´m shocked...

Thanks...
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/why-the-wallpaper-is-so-dark-in-ios-10.1986052/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/wallpaper-dimmed-when-set.1986244/

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
It's designed to make your icons stand out from the background better. I wish they'd just add drop shadows to the icons (subtle ones) instead of dimming the background, but it doesn't bother me at all.

Reactions: bmwtech113

MrJandali

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2013
Anyone here still on iOS 9, 8 or 7 to compare ? I can´t imagine not having noticed this phenomena for years....

yellowscreen

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2015
Anyone here still on iOS 9, 8 or 7 to compare ? I can´t imagine not having noticed this phenomena for years....
it was there in ios7 too. it also 'encoded' your photo so it had worse quality. the quality changed a bit for the better ios10, darkening unfortunately got even stronger

pretty much unacceptable

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
it was there in ios7 too. it also 'encoded' your photo so it had worse quality. the quality changed a bit for the better ios10, darkening unfortunately got even stronger

pretty much unacceptable

It's darkened to put more contrast between the wallpaper and icons. Since so many icons are bright colors, dulling the wallpaper down let's those icons stand out more so they don't get lost in your crappy wallpapers.

yellowscreen

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2015
It's darkened to put more contrast between the wallpaper and icons. Since so many icons are bright colors, dulling the wallpaper down let's those icons stand out more so they don't get lost in your crappy wallpapers.
With the darkening and low quality encoding, they really are crappy

Maybe it would get from their asses to their brain if you werent so insisting on blocking the ass*ole

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.