Why the wallpaper is so dark in iOS 10?

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by SoYoung, Aug 2, 2016.

1. SoYoung macrumors 6502a

I noticed the wallpaper is way darker in iOS 10, especially on the top half of the screen. It is really ugly on most of my usual wallpapers. Do you think it's a bug or it is a design choice? Because if it's going to be like this it's really not good to look at.

2. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

It is a bit darker than previous iOS's. However also double check to make sure you don't have Reduce White Point enabled. It has toggled to on for some people in earlier betas. Settings > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations

3. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

See above! When I first installed the public beta, the reduce white point setting was toggled on by default and I had a similar problem.

4. SoYoung thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys for your quick answer! The white point reduction is not activated, so I have to adjust myself to the darker wallpapers. It's not a big deal for many, but I dont like the look for my favorite wallpapers now. But thanks for the precision.

5. vista980622 macrumors 6502

Apple now has a more aggressive algorithm for applying shadows to lighter wallpapers.

6. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

They should just have light shadows on all the damn icons and their labels like iOS 6. P
    Contrast problem solved, and wallpapers still look fine.

7. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

Can you post a picture here so I see what you mean? Thanks.

8. DeutscheMark, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016

DeutscheMark macrumors regular

DeutscheMark

Some things don't add up here.

What's strange is that you can set one of the given or any Live Photo and set it as Live Photo Wallpaper and it won't dim (e.g. try it with the bright fish wallpapers), but when I set them as Still or Perspective, they get dimmed and look terrible. It has no positive effect to dim the wallpaper there, it only gets harder to read. I get the same dimming, when I try to set a relatively dark wallpaper, which makes no sense really. Another thing is that the preview is also not dimmed, but that might be because it might only be the preview for the lockscreen, which is never dimmed...

I'll file a bug report. I suggest you do the same, if you don't want it to be like that in the final version.

Attached Files:

9. DeutscheMark macrumors regular

DeutscheMark

An Apple engineer just responded to my bug report that this behaves as intented.

Really? Wow, they can't be serious. This looks really bad with a normal image and even worse with a bright image.

The only option now is to convert an image to a live photo and use it as live photo wallpaper.

10. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

Off-topic: How did you hide your carrier name?

11. iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

I believe the carrier name hide automatically when you plug your device into QuickTime on the Mac and start recording/taking screenshots.

12. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

Bummer...

Thanks Craig, I thought you would let us hide that this year :p

13. DeutscheMark macrumors regular

DeutscheMark

No magic here. My carrier in Germany (congstar) doesn't use one for it's Nano-SIMs or at least they didn't during the time I got mine. Guess I got lucky. :)

14. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

Ugh, I wish my carrier did that too. Thanks!

15. Bswartz95 macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

Ugh. I hate this. Wonder if this is a way for them to squeeze more battery life or something. Wallpapers look horrible.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

No explanation as to why that is the intended behavior?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 17, 2016 ---
    Wouldn't really make any difference as far as battery use goes.

17. kwokaaron macrumors 6502a

kwokaaron

I strongly believe they did this so that app icons that have a white background don't get blended with the white background (and the white app name text is more visible on a dark/black background) thus better visibility. Since live photos are animated, it's likely they didn't dim them due to it possibly having to be dimmed real-time when they're animated (and thus is more battery intensive).

18. SoYoung thread starter macrumors 6502a

When you talk about live photos, do you talk about the new feature on the 6s? And how you transfer a regular picture into a live one?

19. Boardiesboi macrumors 65816

Boardiesboi

20. gaanee macrumors 65816

Wallpaper was getting darkened in iOS 9 & 8 also - especially the upper part of the wallpaper was getting covered with shadow. Only reason could have been to make the status bar and clock on the lock screen more visible, but that wasn't an issue anyway unless you use really bright glaring wallpaper.
    It's annoying when you select a nice picture in the Photos app or even in Settings -> Wallpaper and then see the same photo as a dark wallpaper - important highlights are gone

21. MrJandali macrumors member

Do you have screenshots of 8 or 9 for comparison ? Can´t believe I didn´t notice that for years...

22. Ivanovitchk macrumors regular

Ivanovitchk

I'm using Apple's built in wallpaper:

on 5S iOS9
    5S.jpg

on 7 iOS10
    7.jpg

gimme back mah whites !

23. gaanee macrumors 65816

I had posted back then on this forum and many users noticed the same thing - the top portion of the wallpaper is darkened.. like a shadow gradient effect. It looked particularly bad on light colors - wallpaper with a blue sky - top part looked like a cloudy sky and rest was bright blue. It didn't happen on Apple's stock wallpapers with similar colors.
    At least on iOS 10, the darkening is uniform.

24. DeutscheMark macrumors regular

DeutscheMark

No explanation at all, just that their closing the issue I reported. :(

Yes, the live photo wallpapers that are only available on the 6s and 7. There are some apps, that can transform images into live photos. Here's one: https://itunes.apple.com/app/intolive/id1061859052

25. DeutscheMark, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016

DeutscheMark macrumors regular

DeutscheMark

I can confirm that there's no dimming anymore in iOS 10.2 Developer Beta 1! :)
    Finally!