Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Connie1e

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
I'm having the same issues - lines appearing when typing my password and the very bottom of the screen intermittently not responding to touch

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
Took a picture of it with my old phone. Is this what you guys are seeing too?
I have video too to show that it is the iPhone 5.

I have the exact same thing, also when asked to enter a password. Resolved itself as soon as the password window was closed. Haven't seen it happen in any other situations...wonder if it's software related.

MistaGavin

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
Same thing. Was entering the password while buying a song and the second row had a weird line for a sec. Not too worried, probably a software bug. No other problems what so ever.

rnspaight

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2011
It definitely sounds like a glitch with the Apple ID password screen. If I don't see it anywhere else, I'll wait to see if an update fixes it.

krisr

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
I think I had this same problem, once, I am keeping an eye out for it again. I was buying an app in the app store and saw some distortion between the top row and middle row on the keyboard. It was a just a distortion across the entire width of the screen. I saw it right as I was about to click buy and saw it for a second then hit the buy button, it went away. I can't make it do it again so far.

I will post if I have it again.

I just noticed this same thing when entering my password! I wonder if this is something that can be fixed with an update?? Or if I should call Apple...:(

nickmccally

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2010
Same thing here... Read this last night and thought "damn that sucks". Then just today I was purchasing something with the exact same issue on my iPhone. Starting to think its software and not a screen problem because my screen has been pretty great no issues otherwise. I think we would see it on other pages, not just the keyboard.

Zenoah

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Getting the same problem. Must be software if it only happens on the store password dialog. Something is leaking into the screen memory address.

Mikerst

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2012
*raises hand*

Also experiencing this issue, as per the photo posted earlier in the thread.

(I also have a separate issue where the ear piece is distorting and 'robofying' all sound it emits. Speaker mode has no such issue, so could be hardware fault).

Will aim to get a replacement.

Brentmurray

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
I have the same problem with the distortion across the keys when entering my password to purchase a song from iTunes. I took a screen shot using the home and lock keys, but instead of capturing the distortion, it stopped it. I could not replicate this issue again.

Bernie-l

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
Mines doing exactly the same - only happens on password screen. Feel bit better now as I do think this is a software glitch and not hardware.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Eeeek. So maybe this isn't a small percentage after all :eek:

If people are seeing this when they enter passwords, perhaps is some of this a software glitch rather than a display issue? Maybe some bad screens are out there, but maybe other screens are just fine.

Titfink

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2008
I've noticed those horizontal lines mostly on the password prompt for the app store, but I also got it just now when opening an app folder. I think it has something to do with the animation of something sliding up into view... No screenshot unfortunately because like somebody else in this thread I just learned that the flash animation refreshes the screen and wipes the error.

Once I can replicate it I might just use it to refresh my handset when I feel it's looking worn, because the issue itself doesn't really bother me that much :D

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
I got my iPhone from UPS today around 3 PM. There was dent on the side of the phone, I then rush to Apple Store to get an exchange. They replace it with an iPhone that is not from the regular retail box, it was a small white box. After I get home, I discovered there is a 2.5CM scratch on the screen. I ran back to Apple store to ask for replacement again. They rejected me and told me that the store is too busy right now. Make an appointment and come back later.

Apple!
I spent $780 CDN on this phone and it wasn't my fault for the "manufacture imperfection".

Anyways.

Am I still eligible for the 14 days refund policy? They gave me a "replacement", the SN on the phone is different than the one on the box.

If you bought it from Apple than you have 30 days. If you bought it from lets say Verizon than you have 14 days

rmbpuser

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2012
oh lol yesterday i got the same line on keyboard while typing my passwor does this really mean my phone is defective =/

Last edited:

jjw1980

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2012
I am getting this issue with the keyboard on the app store password screen - very strange. Looks like a hardware (RAM) issue, but if it is only happening on this screen surely it is a software issue. Calling Apple to see what they say!

albertsw

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
I also saw flickering on the keyboard of my iPhone 5 when I was activating it and signing into my apple id but I haven't seen the keyboard flicker again. Once yesterday I saw a few green pixels come up in a line when I was opening a folder for a second. But it went away.
Do you think this is hardware or software? Thanks.

jjw1980

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2012
So called Apple, they offered to swap device (they always do when something is this new), but I have asked for a case ID instead. It seems kinda brainless to swap too soon. This could end up being a issue with a memory leak on a web based app (app store). I haven't had any issues with any other apps. In fact the phone is performing very well. I will keep an eye on this over the coming days and if it does look like a hardware issue I will insist on a full new boxed replacement (not refurb service phone!) as I am entitled under UK law within 7 days of purchase.

I have seen this kind of thing happen in browsers before on known working laptop hardware. Fingers crossed! I will be watching these threads closely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.