Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kidwei

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
Glad to hear I'm not the only one, called apple and they told me to turn it off and on, since I hadn't turned it off since I got it maybe that fixed it. If it happens again they said to do a hard reset and if I really wanted to to go get it replaced. Kind of want to wait before replacing it. Have any of you guys turned it off and on after seeing the issue?

I may have rebooted the phone since seeing the error. But not sure.

Are people seeing this error consistently? I've only seen it exactly once and haven't been able to replicate it in the app store since then.

jpg

macrumors regular
May 15, 2009
Glad to hear I'm not the only one, called apple and they told me to turn it off and on, since I hadn't turned it off since I got it maybe that fixed it. If it happens again they said to do a hard reset and if I really wanted to to go get it replaced. Kind of want to wait before replacing it. Have any of you guys turned it off and on after seeing the issue?

I have the same issue and it persists after restarting the device. I really think its a software issue. I have no problems in games that tax the GPU heavily (i.e. real racing 2, sky gamblers, GTA, Gangstar Rio, Modern Combat 3...)

I haven't reset the iPhone yet though...

jjw1980

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2012
Yes I did turn it on and off and it is still happening occasionally. Seeing that many have been replaced for this issue and it is still happening, and the circumstances are so specific, I am pretty confident this is a software issue with the app store. I suggest more people escalate to Apple as they will be less likely to drag their heels about it.

Please see corresponding thread on the Apple support forums. Apple monitor these forums so it might be a good idea if more people contributed to this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19684203#19684203:)

BiscottiGelato

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
Only read the first page. Based on the posted Screenshot, just want to say I see the same problem. Only in the App Store so far. Not all the time when I am in the app store, but probably seen it 3 /4 times over the weekend. Hoping this is a SW issue and Apple will address it soon.

bluetang

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
So called Apple, they offered to swap device (they always do when something is this new), but I have asked for a case ID instead. It seems kinda brainless to swap too soon. This could end up being a issue with a memory leak on a web based app (app store). I haven't had any issues with any other apps. In fact the phone is performing very well. I will keep an eye on this over the coming days and if it does look like a hardware issue I will insist on a full new boxed replacement (not refurb service phone!) as I am entitled under UK law within 7 days of purchase.

I have seen this kind of thing happen in browsers before on known working laptop hardware. Fingers crossed! I will be watching these threads closely.

Me too! I'm having the same problem. But since this issue only happens on the password screen, I'll wait and see. I might be software related... I hope...

jef152

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2006
I have this similar issue, but it seems permanent across all apps and screens. I have a few odd/fuzzy lines that blur out the bottom part of the screen, where the dock icon text titles are. When I have the keyboard come up (app store password, etc) , I have some of the lines flicker. Called Apple, and they are going to send a replacement phone

rnspaight

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2011
This is just totally unfounded, idle speculation, but I wonder if with iOS 6 they're doing something funny with the memory addressing when typing in an Apple ID to try to prevent malware from intercepting it (like randomizing the address or something like that) and there's a bug that's causing data to get written to the display buffer. The fact that it's limited to Apple ID entry (in the App Store or iTunes) sort of suggests something like that.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
This is a good point and my only nagging doubt about it being a software issue, I thought a lot more people would be affected. But I guess not everyone downloads as many apps within the first few days of owning the phone. Keeping my eyes on this one!

Out of all of the iPhone 5 problems, this is by far the most mysterious one. I'll keep track of this thread for sure.

TLN

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Rainbow colored horizontal lines in the App Store AND when opening a folder. 3x total. So, not just in the app store's password prompt screen. Husband's 32 blk also once. Forgot which screen.

White 32 from Apple.com

JADIDAS

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Glad to see that CNET has picked up on some of these post the more attention it gets the faster it gets fixed m.cnet.com/news/iphone-5-users-complain-of-static-lines-on-keyboard/57519607 . It happened again today even after turning off the phone like apple said to do.

Last edited:

Mahdi12572

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
Omg I got my iPhone 5 yesterdy and I'm already noticing the horizontal line (1in from the bottom) looking like damaged pixels and viabrating. It happens less frequently but if it happens, il take a pic

intelliot

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2006
I think I had this same problem, once, I am keeping an eye out for it again. I was buying an app in the app store and saw some distortion between the top row and middle row on the keyboard. It was a just a distortion across the entire width of the screen. I saw it right as I was about to click buy and saw it for a second then hit the buy button, it went away. I can't make it do it again so far.

I saw the exact same issue on my black 16GB AT&T iPhone 5, also when I was buying an app in the App Store.

applefan1177

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
I have the same problem and it only happens when I try to put in my password in the App Store. It happened like 4 times already. I went to the apple store and I was able to reproduce it to them and they offered to replace my phone, but I opt to wait until the first update to see if it is a software issue first. I have a white 32 gb.

albertsw

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
If someone does see this again try taking a screenshot so we can figure out if its hardware or software.

opeka

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
I have experienced the same issue three times since I got the phone last Friday. The fact that it seems to happen only when entering password into App Store makes it sound like a software issue but when I see the problem it sure doesn't feel like a software issue.

The problem doesn't capture in the screen shot. I spoke to Apple and they offered to replace the device but I'll wait a bit.

Here is what the problem looks like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRX1E1Eowdw

BoricuaHec01

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Chicago, IL
I'm having the same problem when I put my password on the App Store, weak. Guessing its the software since everyone on here is having he same issue.

mytran80

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2009
Same problem here , I'm sure it's a software issue that apple should address soon , I hate to return my flawless condition iPhone 5 without a microscopic scratch on it :D

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Getting the same issue. I'm going to go to the Genius Bar and at least get it documented. The more people that do it, the quicker Apple will be made aware of it and hopefully come up with a fix.

kamran9558

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
never had this issue since the launch day on my ip5 32GB white. This morning I bought an app and when I was entering my PW the same static issue occured.
Anyone who has been to a genius bar for the issue has any update? or replacing the phone is the only option

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.