Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What one would you get?

• Total voters

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013
Clearly you've never heard of workstation class laptops for CAD. You failed to argue any of my points with any facts and just made yourself look daft.

Clearly, Pros don't use a half-ass mobile workstation since it throttles and overheats when doing real work. I factored in the reliability, performance and stability for professional which defines a Mac Pro and not a POS Windoze installed even on the very best workstation hardware (windoze itself defines poor stability). Clearly you're too daft to know this fact, and thus my original statement that No POS windoze laptop could ever beat a rMB in overall experience is valid.

iBilal

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2015
it all comes down with which operating system you're comfortable with .. there's no comparison .. if you're a Windows person, get the XPS .. otherwise, the Macbook 12 Retina is a great option (unless you're video editing and playing games, etc.) .. I've been using Apple computers since school .. and Windows is as alien to me as Latin ..

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If as you mentioned you're going to be using windows, then it doesn't make sense to spend all that money on the MacBook. I'd go for the Dell. I use Windows at work, and have a windows 10 machine and they're fine. I think in a number of ways windows 10 is superior to Yosemite.

iBilal

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2015
if you're going to be using Windows, forget Apple .. you'd be much happier with a Dell or Thinkpad or something ..

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
If as you mentioned you're going to be using windows, then it doesn't make sense to spend all that money on the MacBook. I'd go for the Dell. I use Windows at work, and have a windows 10 machine and they're fine. I think in a number of ways windows 10 is superior to Yosemite.

There's many good reasons for buying a rMB (excluding individual specification comparisons) even if you are going to mainly run Windows:

If you are in the USA you have a complete on your doorstep apple support network of shops where you can walk-in and get help or service

Apple warranty more often than not works and exchange or replacement is often simpler

If you have an IPhone/IPAD you can flip back in to OSX to synch etc better than the windows icloud/Itunes

If you dual boot you are not excluded from any software

Legacy items (hardware/software) are not lost

You are not excluded or penalised in purchasing any phones/tablets etc as you can interface with the preferred OS

You can have the best trackpad which should be an important feature of a true portable system

You can opt for the styling and build quality of Apple, if it appeals to you

The Bad points (for some):

You have to buy Windows ($30-40)

You lose a minimum of 38Gig (for dual boot) as bootcamp will not select less

Some windows drivers specifically for Apple components may not be updated as often as native windows OEM's

Windows laptops still have more than one external port

Outside USA and some European Countries trying to sell used Macbooks is harder

Apple USB-C dongles are expensive

Reactions: soulreaver99

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
where you can walk-in and get help or service
Provided you make an appointment and even then they may very well ship the computer out. I see your point

Legacy items (hardware/software) are not lost
I think Windows based machines have this one better then Apple. They're (Apple) known for dropping support on products/technology rather quickly. Just look at the lack of non USB ports on the rMB

You are not excluded or penalised in purchasing any phones/tablets etc as you can interface with the preferred OS
Please define how you are penalized on a windows machine. I'm not sure what you mean..

You forgot one important aspect, you're paying 2x the price for a computer to run windows.

I'm all for finding the right tool for the right job, I own a SP3,and a MBP both have advantages and disadvantages. If the OP is looking to run windows full time, then a windows machine is a better choice imo.

He'll be paying less $$, he'll have windows, no need to buy it (which by the way will be more then 30 dollars), he'll have the support and drivers needed not waiting (and hoping) that apple will update its bootcamp drivers.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Sorry if I confused you :)

I'm simply pointing out by having access to both OS you are free to use products/software/services than may be exclusive or optimal in one over the other or continue to use software etc that you have previously bought for either of the OS's

As you know we can read any where why some prefer this OS over the other, with dual boot you are free to cherry-pick what suits you

You are correct often you pay an additional premium to buy Apple over the equivalent Windows Laptop

Outside of specs, you have to evaluate what value that some of these gains that I have listed by having a dual OS and some of the better services offered by Apple are worth to you against the possible extra cost of buying Apple

To reply to one point directly re "how you are penalized on a windows machine" if you have bought in to the Apple ECO and have an IPad, IPhone and IWatch throwing a windows laptop in the middle of that opposed to a Dual Boot MAC seems daft IMO

Personally I just liked the style and footprint of the rMB over the windows equivalents :)

Provided you make an appointment and even then they may very well ship the computer out. I see your point

I think Windows based machines have this one better then Apple. They're (Apple) known for dropping support on products/technology rather quickly. Just look at the lack of non USB ports on the rMB

Please define how you are penalized on a windows machine. I'm not sure what you mean..

You forgot one important aspect, you're paying 2x the price for a computer to run windows.

I'm all for finding the right tool for the right job, I own a SP3,and a MBP both have advantages and disadvantages. If the OP is looking to run windows full time, then a windows machine is a better choice imo.

He'll be paying less $$, he'll have windows, no need to buy it (which by the way will be more then 30 dollars), he'll have the support and drivers needed not waiting (and hoping) that apple will update its bootcamp drivers.

Last edited:

Craigy Boy

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2006
England
I'm looking at this too. Any one tried editing GoPro footage on the 12" MacBook? If so, how'd it cope? Looking at 1080p I reckon, not 4K footage.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Clearly you've never heard of workstation class laptops for CAD. You failed to argue any of my points with any facts and just made yourself look daft.

You're wrong and sound like a child.

Anyone using the word 'windoze' is not exactly somebody coming here for deep conversation.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
To reply to one point directly re "how you are penalized on a windows machine" if you have bought in to the Apple ECO and have an IPad
The OP never really mentioned a need or desire to run OS X, and while dual booting into OS X is a nice feature, I don't think the inverse can be quantified as a penalty if the OP has no need for running the OS.

IPhone and IWatch throwing a windows laptop in the middle of that opposed to a Dual Boot MAC seems daft IMO
So you're saying if the OP does not need OSX but does use an iPhone he's better off spending 1,300+ dollars instead of 800+ dollars? That does not really make sense. The requirement of iTunes for the iPhone or iPad is such now a days that's really not needed. You can backup to the cloud and not use iTunes. The apple watch does not need any computer, as its done through the phone. While you may think its daft, I think saving money and picking the right tool for the job makes the most sense.

czerney

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2009
Over at this forum I (czerney) wrote a bit about my dell xps 13 experience which if you wan't to read starts getting pretty involved going into page two and three of the thread referenced below. It ended up being quite a saga, and long story short whilst I am still using my dell xps right now and very happy with the experience, I simply can't recommend it on account of the support and build quality I received from Dell. To me the risk of receiving a faulty laptop is too high to risk purchase. A friend of mine also bought the QHD version about the same time as I on my recommendation based on his needs over the new MacBook and had hardware faults with his screen right out of the box. Obviously I feel responsible, I just figured my experience was a bit of an anomaly and he'd be fine.

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1161714

Last edited:
Reactions: cdcastillo

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
if you're going to be using Windows, forget Apple .. you'd be much happier with a Dell or Thinkpad or something ..

RMBwin.jpg

You couldn't be more wrong.

I've owned every good light/thin Windows notebook since 1996. Acer's, Sony Vaio Z's, Ultrabook's, every 24 months a new machine, you name it, twenty years, and nothing runs Windows better than the new Retina MacBook. It's fantastic. Rock solid. I set Boot Camp to startup directly to Windows 10, never use OSX at all. There is nothing that my RMB can't do that any Windows machine can.

Reminder of the subject line of this thread: FOR TRAVELING

To say "forget the Apple 2015 MacBook" is extremely bad advice considering it's the best Windows 10 machine for the traveling executive on the market. The MacBook Pro is the Ford F-150 of the Apple notebook line. It's your powerful workhorse. The Retina MacBook is the BMW 4 Series Convertible. It's your weekend sportscar.

BJ

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
I'm looking at this too. Any one tried editing GoPro footage on the 12" MacBook? If so, how'd it cope? Looking at 1080p I reckon, not 4K footage.

I just posted this link in another thread.

FWIW - my wife as the XPS has her work computer and the new MacBook as her personal computer. I would recommend either the Surface or the rMB over the XPS for a travel computer. We travel a lot, she does more than I do.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Macbook with Windows 10 bootcamp is awesome. My opinion the rmB w/ windows 10 seems to run better than using OSX Yosemite. Downfall you will have to fork out additional money to buy the Windows 10 operating system.....I'm just a sucker for luxury.

I just installed Windows 10 on my Macbook and 100% agree with this statement. It FLIES on the Macbook with no stuttering at all. I can confirm that the Macbook runs Windows 10 much better than OSX. My only regret is that I should have allocated more space for Windows when I installed Boot Camp!

Reactions: Cape Dave

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013
I just installed Windows 10 on my Macbook and 100% agree with this statement. It FLIES on the Macbook with no stuttering at all. I can confirm that the Macbook runs Windows 10 much better than OSX. My only regret is that I should have allocated more space for Windows when I installed Boot Camp!

That's the only good thing about windoze. Everything else is just ****. Why Apple cannot replicate or exceed the GPU efficiency of Direct3D and DirectDraw given the resources and geniuses in their workforce? Even the Intel GMA from the Core 2 Duo era runs Windoze so smoothly.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
You may be correct and we have strayed from the OP request however there is more to be considered than just a price point IMO and should assist the OP in a more informed choice

If we were to take your point of picking the right tool for the job at the best price to a logic extreme there would be no point in ever buying MAC's other than personal preference :)

The bottom line is, there is more involved considerations than just comparing hardware specs vs $800 or $1300, whether these have a value to the OP or any buyer is another matter

Apple are not stupid to deliberately exclude Windows users from purchasing any of their products and although I do not personally subscribe to their ECO there is no doubt that their native OSX apps offer a more premium experience than windows equivalent.

I have personally suffered many a problem using Windows/MSOffice with apple accounts and OS devices, they tend to take far more time for fixes to be rolled out than with native apps

If you can justify the price difference then rMB over the equivalent Dell XPS gives far more options, it's as simple as that :) and holds for most of the MAC range.

The OP never really mentioned a need or desire to run OS X, and while dual booting into OS X is a nice feature, I don't think the inverse can be quantified as a penalty if the OP has no need for running the OS.

So you're saying if the OP does not need OSX but does use an iPhone he's better off spending 1,300+ dollars instead of 800+ dollars? That does not really make sense. The requirement of iTunes for the iPhone or iPad is such now a days that's really not needed. You can backup to the cloud and not use iTunes. The apple watch does not need any computer, as its done through the phone. While you may think its daft, I think saving money and picking the right tool for the job makes the most sense.

Last edited:

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Apple are not stupid to deliberately exclude Windows users from purchasing any of their products and although I do not personally subscribe to their ECO there is no doubt that their native OSX apps offer a more premium experience than windows equivalent.

That's a nonsensical statement.

OSX apps aren't more "premium" on a Mac than a Windows 10 app is on a Mac running Windows. Judge OSX apps on their own merit, judge Windows apps on their own merit, the Macbook can deliver each perfectly. You act like Windows apps on the RMB somehow get penalized because they're running on Mac hardware. Patently wrong. It's running on Windows hardware. A Mac and a Windows machine are the same thing these days, difference being form factor related now, not anything else. Apple and Boot Camp lag a bit on the release of drivers occasionally, that inconvenience aside, a Mac is a terrific piece of Windows 10 hardware.

BJ

Reactions: Cape Dave

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
That's a nonsensical statement.

OSX apps aren't more "premium" on a Mac than a Windows 10 app is on a Mac running Windows. Judge OSX apps on their own merit, judge Windows apps on their own merit, the Macbook can deliver each perfectly. You act like Windows apps on the RMB somehow get penalized because they're running on Mac hardware. Patently wrong. It's running on Windows hardware. A Mac and a Windows machine are the same thing these days, difference being form factor related now, not anything else. Apple and Boot Camp lag a bit on the release of drivers occasionally, that inconvenience aside, a Mac is a terrific piece of Windows 10 hardware.

BJ

BJ

My appols if it was unclear

I was simply noting (in the reply to the thread) that Apple to Apple interface/synch etc of their products in their ECO is a more premium experience as it should be as it is their first priority of interconnectivity between their products OSX to IOS.

Apple provide similar apps to connect their IOS products to Windows but you lose some of the functions offered when you run OSX to IOS

This was to clarify that if the OP or any other buyer who has other Apple IOS devices they can keep these extras when owning a rMB or have them if they later buy and OSI devices, even if you mainly use Windows on your rMB.

This is not a slight on the rMB but a an advantage as you can choose on a dual boot system (or parallels) and have it any way you prefer and loose nothing

This was just re-iterating the advantages to owning a rMB (or any other MAC) even if like you and I opt to run mainly Windows on our rMB over a native windows laptop.

There is more than just specs and $'s differences when comparing a rMB to the Dell XPS, with the rMB you loose nothing and gain everything in flexibility, including probably the best form factor available for travelling

Last edited:
Reactions: cbautis2

Ka Tec

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2015
Check out the surface book. You get the pratical benefits of the XPS including windows10 + wow design aspect of the rmb + better battery than both. To qualify I am RMB 2015 user, ex SP3 user and have to say from first impressions the Surface Book just rocks.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
If you are going to use both OSs, then the rMB is the right choice (don't even start to compare Dell support to Apple please ....) , but if you are going to use only Windows, well, maybe I would buy a Dell.

And for Windows 10 being superior to OS X, my opinion as a daily user of both is TOTALLY BS.
Windows 10 is the best Windows I've seen so far, but it still have the incoherence of every Windows OS.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
If you compare the two you would have to get the second configured new dell xps 13 (to get 8 g ram) and then upgrade the 128 to 256 (total=$1,149.99) to get to about the same as the base macbook + ($1,299)

With the Macbook you could keep osx El Capitan and then use bootcamp with a retail copy of windows 10 ($149) and get the best of both worlds...yes you total would be $298.01 more,but you would get both operating systems and almost 100% you could resell the macbook for way more then the xps in a few years time...thus the choice seems pretty easy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.