Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayDH

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
I upgraded from the 5 to 5s, paying full price ($800 with tax) for the 32GB model. After a week and a half, I decided to return the 5s and go back to my 5.

I didn't notice any performance improvements over the 5. The camera is a bit better and the new slo-mo and burst modes are quite nice. TouchID was the biggest improvement, but I just can't justify $800 for a fingerprint sensor and slightly better camera.

An upgrade from the 4S is huge and a no-brainer. An upgrade from the 5, to me, would only be worth it if you can get close to break even on the deal by selling your 5.

brinycbri

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007
I did because i'm a dork, but I'm happy I did. Reasons and observations:

1) I never used pass lock because it was too cumbersome. Fingerprint made it simple

2.) Not really much faster than I remembered

3) A little buggy

4) Camera is a lot better and fun to take pictures with.

I sold my 5 for $530 on ebay and ATT gave me some upgrade credits so for 200 or so i say it's worth it.

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
I did, only because the screen on my 5 was cracked

That's the same reason my sister did. Now that I've tried it, I'm glad I saved my money and stuck with my iPhone 5. Real world usage simply does not justify the 5S.

Perhaps if one was a hard core gamer it might be worth it but I still can't see spending money for the same old design.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
5S is great coming from 4S. I wouldnt have upgraded if I had the 5. Upgrading every year and expecting to be blown away makes no sense.

AJ007

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2012
Syracuse, NY
I went from a 5 to a 5s, because i have 2 iPhones on my att contract.. The finger print thingy is ok once you get the hang of it. but the main best feature is the camera. if your a heavy camera user. it' great IMHO. and if you can get it for 200$ and plan to stay on your contract do it. and sell the 5 for 200-400$ somewhere. sell it for $300 and you can get the 5s and a squaretrade/apple+ for basically free. I find if you have 2 iphones around a year apart you basically never have to pay for a iPhone again. because you just keep rotating them and keeping square trades on them all will ensure they get fixed if anything should happen. stay on top of your upgrades and... like i said you'll never pay for a warranty or iPhone again and you get the new phone on release or pretty damn close.

DcoalStrat

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2012
my 5s has a better battery life, well it's new and my 5 is one year older. But still base on my experience I remember last year, having the 5 as a brand new phone. I still have gripe about battery life. And did a ton of research if IOS 6 is the culprit but upgrading it to IOS 7 just make it worse.

ValerieDurden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I've played with a friends 5s side to side with my 5 and I didn't see any discernible difference in speed, you have to remember the CPU in the 5 is still screaming fast and is still up there with all of the newer phones. Otherwise I think the fingerprint scanner is a stupid gimmick, camera is hardly better so I see no reason to upgrade -- well at least to another iPhone.

Atiumite

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2013
Not a huge difference in speed, and actually a little buggier overall than the 5 with ios7. The 5 was surprisingly smooth, with no hiccups at all.

MsRandall

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2011
Bay Area, Ca
I did loved the gold color and to have it
I added a line and gave my husband my i5 and put his 4s on the new line and gave it away free with a successful assumption of the line on trade cellular. I had several offers within hours

Anyway the battery seems better, love the slowmo feature and the gold color

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
As far as performance goes, here's a vid that shows geekbench 3 scores with ios 7.0.2 on iPhone 5s, 5c, 5, 4S, 4. Looks like 5s has the potential of being nearly twice as fast. (skip to 3 mins in) http://youtu.be/-kapq48cTLo

We have been seeing 64bit apps starting to come out (check out Mac rumors front page over last two weeks)

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
You have to understand that you won't notice significant performance increases on ordinary tasks. Just like an i7 3930K at 4 GHz may not show significant performance increase compared to a dual core i5 when it comes to opening basic tasks on a computer such as Microsoft word or an internet browser.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
If you have everthing activated on iOS 7 and you feel that your phone is slightly better...then it's actually way better. I had to disable almost everything on my iPhone 5 inorder to make it slightly better than it was on iOS 6.

What?

I didn't disable anything on iOS 7 at all and I had been using it for nearly three months before launch. No. I don't find the phone to be a lot better. In fact we have both phones in the house right now. I did some playing around the other day. Apps were loading at about the same speed. Websites were loading at exactly the same speed. Day to day tasks felt no different whatsoever.

----------

You have to understand that you won't notice significant performance increases on ordinary tasks. Just like an i7 3930K at 4 GHz may not show significant performance increase compared to a dual core i5 when it comes to opening basic tasks on a computer such as Microsoft word or an internet browser.
Of course not. But isn't that really what matters? All most people do with their phones is really basic computing. Being that te OP asked this question I wouldn't expect him to be a power user. I stand by my statement (agreeing with you here) that this phone isn't much different from the 5 when it comes to most user's experiences.

ekrueger24

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
London, UK
I'm going from the 5 to the 5S (should be delivered tomorrow!). One big reason is that my partner bought it for me for my birthday.

Additionally, like others have said, I'm also interested for the Touch ID as I don't always like having to type in a pass code (first world problem, I know).

The speed of the phone was also I nice factor as was the battery life I've been hearing about. iOS 7 on the iPhone 5 (at least for me) has been draining my battery at a faster pace. Hoping the 5S can better manage and handle that.

Finally, the camera will be a welcome improvement as I have been finding that the iPhone has been my primary camera. Used it throughout my entire trip to Paris over the summer (iPhone 5) and had some good results. Looking forward to experiencing the camera improvements in the 5S and beyond.

aapplephone

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
Touchid is enough for me to upgrade from 5 to 5s.Entering passcode is big pain especially while driving. Burst mode in camera is excellent

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Best new feature is touch ID. Speed is snappier and the rest is IOS 7 making everyone's IPhone regardless of model feel like a new experience

mallom

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Went from a 5 16gb to a 5s 64gb and im not looking back. The battery life is incredible. I just think I went too far with 64gb.. I dont use that much space. But oh well..

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Went from a 5 16gb to a 5s 64gb and im not looking back. The battery life is incredible. I just think I went too far with 64gb.. I dont use that much space. But oh well..
Will you do the same with next year's iPhone?

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Did anyone go from the 5 to 5S?

I went from 5 to 5s but then I always seem to buy the latest iPhone, it's my gadget present to myself each year, although this years was a present... Which was nice! :)

The touch ID is a great feature, as is the new camera, for my needs it's great!

OasisNYK

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2004
I am considering going full price or partial subsidy moving from a 5 to a 5S.

My question is - for those that sold their 5, did they get it unlocked? If so did the carrier do it or did you have to use another service?

wilst

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012
I has the 5 for about a week. Upgraded to the 5s and never looked back. Vast improvements to the camera, fingerprint sensor works really well, and the processor screams.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.