Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
let's say I would like to disable SIP in El Capitan, so apps like Bartender and TotalFinder can fully work. How should one disable SIP? Is there like a Terminal command I should use?

( I am aware of the security risks, but why should I be able to use it in Yosemite and then all of the sudden Apps like Bartender and TotalFinder will not work properly in El Capitan anymore)

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
let's say I would like to disable SIP in El Capitan, so apps like Bartender and TotalFinder can fully work. How should one disable SIP? Is there like a Terminal command I should use?

( I am aware of the security risks, but why should I be able to use it in Yosemite and then all of the sudden Apps like Bartender and TotalFinder will not work properly in El Capitan anymore)

You have to boot into the Recovery OS and look for an utility in the menu bar. Any other methods that currently exist are temporary. There is nothing wrong with disabling it, by the way. It’s just your choice.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
You have to boot into the Recovery OS and look for an utility in the menu bar. Any other methods that currently exist are temporary. There is nothing wrong with disabling it, by the way. It’s just your choice.

okay, gonna look in the Recovery Utility for disabling SIP. Thanks a lot, KALLT!

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
doesn't SIP reset on next reboot? i disabled it (in recovery), made a few changes in the OS (simple icon stuff). but sure SIP is ON next reboot.i DID see that bartender worked with the system icons when i disabled it.

in which case, you'd have to boot into recovery with every restart (not that anyone needs to restart often)...

dsemf

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014
okay, gonna look in the Recovery Utility for disabling SIP. Thanks a lot, KALLT!

For some 3rd party applications, it is only necessary to disable SIP during the install. Once installed, SIP can be re-enabled. I don't remember which applications fall into this category. I have not had to disable SIP for any installs yet. These include Little Snitch, iStat Menus and Carbon Copy Cloner.

DS

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
doesn't SIP reset on next reboot? i disabled it (in recovery), made a few changes in the OS (simple icon stuff). but sure SIP is ON next reboot.i DID see that bartender worked with the system icons when i disabled it.

in which case, you'd have to boot into recovery with every restart (not that anyone needs to restart often)...

It shouldn’t re-enable itself, at least it’s not supposed to. The setting is saved in nvram if I remember correctly, so resetting it should turn System Integrity Protection back on as well.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
For some 3rd party applications, it is only necessary to disable SIP during the install. Once installed, SIP can be re-enabled. I don't remember which applications fall into this category. I have not had to disable SIP for any installs yet. These include Little Snitch, iStat Menus and Carbon Copy Cloner.

DS

ha! in fact, with the latest bartender app,
It shouldn’t re-enable itself, at least it’s not supposed to. The setting is saved in nvram if I remember correctly, so resetting it should turn System Integrity Protection back on as well.

ah, you're probably right. just noticed that bartender IS hiding system icons...which it wouldn't do IF SIP was active. thanx...

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands

DS

thanks! gonna re-enable it again!

Cinder6

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2009
I used this command:
Code:
sudo nvram boot-args="rootless=0";sudo reboot
Bartender works properly now, though my clock is cut off a bit at the right side (I have Bartender to the right of it).

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I used this command:
Code:
Bartender works properly now, though my clock is cut off a bit at the right side (I have Bartender to the right of it).

...which simply means you're running your mac with SIP disabled. am weighing out whether hiding spotlight & notification center icons is WORTH the (potential) risks running SIP disabled. not sure yet...

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
...which simply means you're running your mac with SIP disabled. am weighing out whether hiding spotlight & notification center icons is WORTH the (potential) risks running SIP disabled. not sure yet...

in Yosemite we did not have SIP, so is 10.10 less secure then 10.11?
I mean, if I handle my Mac the same in 10.11 (with SIP disabled) as I do in 10.10 I am still good, right?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
in Yosemite we did not have SIP, so is 10.10 less secure then 10.11?
I mean, if I handle my Mac the same in 10.11 (with SIP disabled) as I do in 10.10 I am still good, right?

SIP has been put there for a reason, and i get it. so ultimately, if you run your mac with it disabled, and anything 'hostile' gets into the OS...you're responsible. that said, i may disable it as well....

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008

Of course.

SIP has been put there for a reason, and i get it. so ultimately, if you run your mac with it disabled, and anything 'hostile' gets into the OS...you're responsible.

But you are always responsible. The principal security threat to OS X is malware, the one that you install yourself. Depending on what the malware (or adware) is after, it can still wreak havoc on your system and screw with your data. I think we all benefit from System Integrity Protection if it reduces the incentive for crackers to write malware, given that the more vulnerable victims will likely leave it enabled.

I used this command:
Code:

This won’t work anymore in the near future. The security utility in the Recovery OS is the only method.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
SIP has been put there for a reason, and i get it. so ultimately, if you run your mac with it disabled, and anything 'hostile' gets into the OS...you're responsible. that said, i may disable it as well....

Yeah, because SO many "hostile" programs have attacked OS X in the past 14 years since its release.... :rolleyes:

All this really does is stop programs like Xtrafinder and TotalFinder from working. The problem is that those of us that run RAID boot volumes don't have recovery partitions and therefore no apparent way to turn SIP off to get said programs working again. Apple screwed us over good.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Yeah, because SO many "hostile" programs have attacked OS X in the past 14 years since its release.... :rolleyes:

All this really does is stop programs like Xtrafinder and TotalFinder from working. The problem is that those of us that run RAID boot volumes don't have recovery partitions and therefore no apparent way to turn SIP off to get said programs working again. Apple screwed us over good.

haha good one. yes, SIP exists solely to keep you from using those apps. the real issue seems to be: apple needs to create a way to create a recovery partition on a RAID boot volume. but how many people don't use their internal drive as a boot volume? (am asking, not being difficult). seriously...

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
haha good one. yes, SIP exists solely to keep you from using those apps. the real issue seems to be: apple needs to create a way to create a recovery partition on a RAID boot volume. but how many people don't use their internal drive as a boot volume? (am asking, not being difficult). seriously...

No, it effectively keeps me from using those programs. Their "intent" matters little to me. The fact is there haven't been huge malware attacks on Macs in the past 14 years and I doubt that will change any time soon. They don't need a recovery partition on RAID volumes. They just need a way to disable rootless without having to boot into a recovery partition (EFI menu option at boot time? A reboot password option? A USB boot key? Anything, really. Just make a way to disable it without needing an actual partition. Apple supports RAID and so they should support a solution that works with it.

Of course, if Apple just supported NFS in the preference pane like it does AFP and SMB, I wouldn't need to edit a plist file.

If Apple spent its time fixing up Finder instead of making flat ugly graphics, maybe I wouldn't need Xtrafinder in the first place (dual pane is the #1 thing I want in Finder for easy file transfers). The problem is Apple doesn't care about those things and they don't really listen to user feedback.

Reactions: bladerunner2000

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
No, it effectively keeps me from using those programs. Their "intent" matters little to me. The fact is there haven't been huge malware attacks on Macs in the past 14 years and I doubt that will change any time soon. They don't need a recovery partition on RAID volumes. They just need a way to disable rootless without having to boot into a recovery partition (EFI menu option at boot time? A reboot password option? A USB boot key? Anything, really. Just make a way to disable it without needing an actual partition. Apple supports RAID and so they should support a solution that works with it.

Of course, if Apple just supported NFS in the preference pane like it does AFP and SMB, I wouldn't need to edit a plist file.

If Apple spent its time fixing up Finder instead of making flat ugly graphics, maybe I wouldn't need Xtrafinder in the first place (dual pane is the #1 thing I want in Finder for easy file transfers). The problem is Apple doesn't care about those things and they don't really listen to user feedback.

dual panes? is that different from opening 2 tabs in a finder window? (again, serious question...)

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
yeah, am not sure i understand what magnusvonmagnum means. i often run a window with 2 tabs. to move files back & forth. so, what is the difference with 'dual panes'??

I never understood why the developers of XtraFinder/Total Finder never bothered creating a file manager from scratch. Every year they have to deal with incompatibilities due to the fact that they are hijacking Apple’s application and injecting code into it. The tweaks are so sophisticated that they could have just made their own applications.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
dual panes? is that different from opening 2 tabs in a finder window? (again, serious question...)

Tabs aren't visible at the same time. Dual panes is more like opening two separate windows and lining them up side-by-side. In fact, there's a menu option to do just that automatically for you (i.e. the biggest pain in moving files in OS X that way is opening them up side-by-side).

Or two windows. Or split view!

It's the PITA of opening two windows that lead me to look for a such an application in the first place. I came from the Amiga platform many years ago and we had file utilities like Diskmaster and Directory Opus were practically iconic on the platform. They not only opened side-by-side (V2 of Diskmaster could open window panes on the main desktop or open on its own full size screen), but they were also programmable by the user to do more things with "buttons" (in the middle on Diskmaster and bottom on Directory Opus). For example, you could click on an image and then have an image viewer button and you could create default behaviors so that double clicking on an image would automatically view the image or movie or play a sound file or start a midi player or whatever by file type. It was very much like "auto preview" on OS X except that it existed over a decade before OS X was first released. Copying files was always just a simple matter of selecting/highlighting them on one panel and clicking COPY and it would copy them over to the other pane (you didn't drag files). I've got multiple drives on my Mac including a 3TB media drive (over 5TB of local storage total connected at any given time plus two other Macs and a Windows PC) so I move files around a lot and don't want it to be a hassle when I do.

Xtrafinder simply saves me time and gives me the dual-pane view I loved on the Amiga without the hassle of having to set up windows side-by-side. It also does other nice things like make the icons that used to be in color in Finder back in color again. Remember when iTunes and Finder had color icons and then they went all DARK GREY/METAL? Well now OS X has gone fuzzy color rainbow wonderland, but they forgot all about the monochrome text in iTunes playlists and the Finder. They're still remnants of grey metal world OS X and that's the one area I liked color other than the dock (thank God they didn't go monochrome there, but that will be next probably sine the GUI is regressing from 3D clues to 1980s FLAT looking so the era of late 70s and early 80s monochrome monitors can't be far behind!)

yeah, am not sure i understand what magnusvonmagnum means. i often run a window with 2 tabs to move files back & forth. so, what is the difference with 'dual panes'??

You can drag the files where you can see them and organize them and know they've copied OK rather than dragging them into a tab and then having to click on the tab to verify you dragged them over to the right one or whatever (i.e. I like visual verification and sometimes need to move files in both directions. It just makes more sense to have them visible at the same time than on separate tabs. Tabs make more sense for a browser since web pages aren't related and you don't move things between them (but you still have tabs in Xtrafinder as well; in fact it offered tabs before Finder ever did). I honestly never understood why Finder didn't add a dual-pane mode all these years or at least offer to open/snap two windows side-by-side for you with a menu click. I suggested feedback to Apple multiple times about this and they ignored it like all feedback they get (I honestly believe they just dump it in the bit bucket as soon as they get it) as having such an option wouldn't hurt a thing and would negate the need for Xtrafinder for the most part.

Yes, you can move to tabs and yes you could just open two windows. But once you have Finder do it at a single click to go to that mode, you don't want to go back. It's like getting power windows and then going back to manual wind windows. It's just like, why would you want to.

I never understood why the developers of XtraFinder/Total Finder never bothered creating a file manager from scratch. Every year they have to deal with incompatibilities due to the fact that they are hijacking Apple’s application and injecting code into it. The tweaks are so sophisticated that they could have just made their own applications.

That is a good question. If they could do it for the Amiga, they should be able to do it here. I think standardization may be the reason. It's still the Finder, just enhanced. But seeing as OS X has a CLI/SHELL, obviously, they could move files by command in the background and use their own GUI to show it. That's how it worked on the Amiga, which believe it or not was a lot like an early pre-cursor to OS X in many ways. Seeing AmigaDos took much inspiration from UNIX (preemptive multitasking in 1985, something OS X wouldn't make available to Mac users until 2001) plus a dual command line and X Windows-like GUI plus all the multimedia goodness Macs are known for today. Yeah, I never even considered a Mac until OS X came out.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Check into Path Finder from CocoaTech. It's a Finder replacement reimagined for techies.

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
After EC install and migrating apps from TM backup, my VPN app wouldn't work, I kept getting a weird error message about it trying to access XYZ; I'm guessing that was SIP at work?

Anyway, I deleted the VPN app and reinstalled any everything is fine and dandy, it works as it should.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Yup, SIP's a pretty clear abrogation of responsibility on Apple's part.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Check into Path Finder from CocoaTech. It's a Finder replacement reimagined for techies.

Ooh! Only $40 with $20 upgrades for every OS X update (well I assume since they are on Version 7 already). I simply must have that over the free Xtrafinder! :)

I'm sure it has lots of lovely features I simply don't need. All I really want/need is a simple dual-pane mode for Finder. It's a damn shame Apple can't manage such a simple thing in the official version. I've seen plenty of complaints about Finder in general over the years. Other than tabs and removing color icons, I think Apple forgets it even exists sometimes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.