Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

obeliq

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
I used Total Finder mostly for two things; Folders on Top and Cut & Paste. The price was appropriate for that.

It was seamlessly integrated and almost bug free. I miss it terribly.

I have tried pathfinder but they have yet to hammer out problems with 10.11 and it's just not the same using something other than Finder.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I used Total Finder mostly for two things; Folders on Top and Cut & Paste. The price was appropriate for that.

It was seamlessly integrated and almost bug free. I miss it terribly.

I have tried pathfinder but they have yet to hammer out problems with 10.11 and it's just not the same using something other than Finder.

You can sort of get folders on top when you use arrange/sort by kind. I use column view with arrange by kind and sort by name or date. Works good enough for me. When you are willing to uncheck almost all file types in Spotlight preferences except folders then you will get a clearcut separation between folders and everything else.

As for cut and paste, what is exactly the problem? What does it need to do?

obeliq

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
You can sort of get folders on top when you use arrange/sort by kind. I use column view with arrange by kind and sort by name or date. Works good enough for me. When you are willing to uncheck almost all file types in Spotlight preferences except folders then you will get a clearcut separation between folders and everything else.

As for cut and paste, what is exactly the problem? What does it need to do?

cmd-x - cut file, cmd-v - paste file in new location. Now it's all either copy and delete the original or drag/cmd-drag. I had been using Total Finder since coming over to the Mac (iMac mid-2011), at first just as a crutch I suppose, but I've grown accustomed to it.

As far as folders on top, I don't understand why they can't implement it as an option. It seems arbitrary and elitest. I swear to god they are just sitting around smelling their own farts and telling each other how good it smells.

I love my mac and my iPhone and a lot of the things they can do together but sometimes I miss the windows 'if I need something done, somebody has likely already done it' ecosystem.

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
No, it effectively keeps me from using those programs. Their "intent" matters little to me. The fact is there haven't been huge malware attacks on Macs in the past 14 years and I doubt that will change any time soon. They don't need a recovery partition on RAID volumes. They just need a way to disable rootless without having to boot into a recovery partition (EFI menu option at boot time? A reboot password option? A USB boot key? Anything, really. Just make a way to disable it without needing an actual partition. Apple supports RAID and so they should support a solution that works with it.

Of course, if Apple just supported NFS in the preference pane like it does AFP and SMB, I wouldn't need to edit a plist file.

If Apple spent its time fixing up Finder instead of making flat ugly graphics, maybe I wouldn't need Xtrafinder in the first place (dual pane is the #1 thing I want in Finder for easy file transfers). The problem is Apple doesn't care about those things and they don't really listen to user feedback.

AGREED!

How the hell does Apple continually get away with such moronic decisions? They've omitted a world standard as 'cut/paste' in the Finder... WHY? Why is it so damn hard for them to pull their head out of their ass and implement what everyone else is KNOWS? Some people say the cut/paste functionality doesn't exist because of 'accidental moves'... yeah? Well then why do they allow cmd+z which UNDOES any wrongdoing?

Seriously, Apple's been testing the hell out of my limits ever since Yosemite. Mavericks was the last 'true' user friendly OS and everything else since has really solidified the mockery from Windows users as OS X being a 'Fisher Price' operating system. The green button now HAS to have a default setting of fullscreen and no way of changing it's behaviour and now they effectively SCREW developers like TotalFinder and XtraFinder?

I tried disabling that SIP garbage and ran XtraFinder as well as TotalFinder; cmd+x/cmd+v still didn't work.

I'm starting to get furious with Apple... thank GOD I put my money towards a Hackintosh, I don't think Apple's going to get another dime out of me.

The *only* way I can think of fixing this ridiculous garbage from Apple is by installing BetterTouchTool and setting up a keyboard shortcut for the Finder where:

cmd+x = cmd+c
cmd+v = cmd+alt/opt+v

This actually works, BUT, it doesn't fade out the files that have been set to be cut.

Last edited:

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
AGREED!

How the hell does Apple continually get away with such moronic decisions? They've omitted a world standard as 'cut/paste' in the Finder... WHY? Why is it so damn hard for them to pull their head out of their ass and implement what everyone else is KNOWS? Some people say the cut/paste functionality doesn't exist because of 'accidental moves'... yeah? Well then why do they allow cmd+z which UNDOES any wrongdoing?

Seriously, Apple's been testing the hell out of my limits ever since Yosemite. Mavericks was the last 'true' user friendly OS and everything else since has really solidified the mockery from Windows users as OS X being a 'Fisher Price' operating system. The green button now HAS to have a default setting of fullscreen and no way of changing it's behaviour and now they effectively SCREW developers like TotalFinder and XtraFinder?

I tried disabling that SIP garbage and ran XtraFinder as well as TotalFinder; cmd+x/cmd+v still didn't work.

I'm starting to get furious with Apple... thank GOD I put my money towards a Hackintosh, I don't think Apple's going to get another dime out of me.

The *only* way I can think of fixing this ridiculous garbage from Apple is by installing BetterTouchTool and setting up a keyboard shortcut for the Finder where:

cmd+x = cmd+c
cmd+v = cmd+alt/opt+v

This actually works, BUT, it doesn't fade out the files that have been set to be cut.

I have a to keep a USB key around now with Mavericks Install just so I can use a REAL version of Disk Utility with RAID support (it's either that or play with the CLI). I have to keep another partition on the key with the El Capitan installer so I can disable SIP (since with RAID you can't do it). XtraFinder works fine again, but for some reason every time I start it, I get this warning that SIP is enabled (when it's not, but that appears to be XtraFinder's bug since the last upgrade). At least it can ignore the warning and still function.

I get tired of of CMD-C and CMD-V for cut/paste. I prefer CTRL-C and CTRL-V due to the placement on the keyboard, which is easier to press without looking. You can change the keymapping, but then that changes ALL the mappings (i.e. then things like CTRL-X won't work right in the Shell since it's been remapped). I think Apple insists on using different keys from Windows and Linux for some things just to be "different". It's like not admitting that a 2-button mouse is better than a 1-button mouse (even hiding a 2nd button but still providing it anyway since it's a PITA without it) or that a 3-button mouse with scroll wheel is better than a 2-button mouse (OS X supports it, but they would never actively admit it's better, leaving people to buy their goofy magic mice that are really no good for gaming and what not).

I wouldn't go as far as the "Fisher Price" thing. There's a couple of annoyances in OS X and Finder could be vastly improved and I swear Spotlight is ridiculous now with no indication whether it's still "searching" or not (WTF happened to the busy indicator?), but overall, I find a lot more things annoying about Windows than OS X, including their new "spyware" OS called Windows 10 that reports back every keystroke to Microsoft whether you want it to or not (oh it's just for statistics, that's why they've teamed up with the NSA to fight "crime", say maybe backing up a Bluray or playing an Atari 2600 game from 1978 on an emulator that you aren't technically legally allowed to use even if you own the game itself on cartridge!) :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.