Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I'm not, and frankly, I don't care if not everyone does, thats not the point. The point is that a significant fraction are having problems. And not problems like "it runs slowly" but games not running. Games that I and others paid for. I love steam, love it on windows, but this needed more time.

BTW: anyone succeeded in running either CIV IV:beyond the sword or colonization?

That latter part was directed to Savar, not you. ;)

And I don't believe it needed any more time.

VPrime: perhaps he deleted his Windows partition. Maybe not. All he really needs is to be patient, though.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Okay, a few things. First, regarding Civ IV: since they fixed the issue of pre-May 12 owners accessing the game, it caused it to break for all Mac users. Nobody can open it. I assume they are working on getting this working ASAP.

Second, portal rendering: This is a known issue and they are fixing it. For a workaround, start the game in Windowed mode, then move it back to fullscreen when in-game.

Third, regarding the horrendous UI: Nobody is complaining that it *looks* different than OS X. There are plenty of OS X apps that have a distinct look. The problem is that it behaves different, and it violates almost every guideline set forth by Apple for OS X apps. Hopefully they will address these issues over time; a Valve employee at the forums said they are already looking into the Expose/Spaces problems, and moving the Steam folder into Application Support where it belongs.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
1)The UI is also UN WINDOWS like. It is STEAM. They did this on purpose. It has NEVER looked like the rest of the OS. Don't expect this to change EVER. THey will probably polish it up a bit though (like the weird steam file manager)

Fine. But why doesn't scrolling on the magic mouse work right? Why don't two finger gestures for moving forward and backward in web kit work right?

2)Annoying, but easy to change in settings. This is also the same for windows. Some people like it, some don't. This isn't the only software in the world that does this.. At least they give you an easy way to disable.
I didn't say it wasn't easy to change. Just annoying.
3)It is actually doing quite a few things. Setting up the engine, loading your config files, checking if you are online, loading the renderer. You are not launching Adium here.. This preloading helps you form getting into gameplay faster.
I would rather wait before the game starts than stare at even MORE loading screens inside the game.
I don't see the distinction. Waiting is waiting. You say its "setting up the engine"... what engine is that, exactly? Shouldn't portal load its own libraries?

I don't think you really know what Steam is doing. My guess is that it's setting up the social networking/overlay stuff that it adds on top of Portal.
4)This will never change (well creating the dock shortcut part probably will). Steam HAS to load. That is the DRM and gateway to the game. The game does not exist with out steam. They are one.
THAT's what I was looking for. I did not realize they were DRM'ed.
9)This is the same on Windows. But really...... who cares!?! you playing the FREAKING GAME NOT STARING AT A PROCESS SCREEN!!!!!
You complaining about this is like Me complaining about your username!

I care because I've had to force quit it several times now, and was miffed when I didn't see "Portal" in the process list. I just don't get it -- 5 seconds for them to type in the name Portal.

1. STEAM is its own UI why does it have to be exactly mac uniform? it looks fine, if you've ever used steam in the passed, like 2004 its quite an improvement.
History doesn't matter to me. I'm coming at this as a newbie. It has UI problems -- see top of my post re: scrolling and gestures.
2. You obviously don't pay attention to anything when something installs on your computer, there was a selection to un check it, i sure as hell did.
I saw those options, they didn't have anything to do with starting the game at LOGIN. That's a big deal, because with the MBP you have to log out/log in to switch graphics.

Having steam open when I'm trying to work switch to IGP for battery life is annoying.

It seems like Steam is very much aimed at the hardcore gamer set -- not the average folks who want a normal interface be able to buy and run a few games hassle free.
4-9 i think you have never used steam in your life.....

You say this like its a bad thing? You're correct. I'm a noob. I must be an idiot if I'm new and I don't like certain aspects of the platform.

YES.

<snip complaints #1-9>

Mind you, this is after 1-2 days of usage, playing through the one free game. I'm sure as the weeks go by I'll find more reasons to hate it.

I'm more of a console guy, anyway, I guess.

Found another bug:

10. Steam crashes (or quits intentionally?) immediately after closing Portal. This is really annoying because I'm trying to troubleshoot the portal rendering bug, and I can't just close Portal and then re-open it, I have to close Portal, re-open Steam, then re-open Portal.

The portal rendering bug is infuriating. I've switch GPUs so many times, added various startup options, and gotten it working. But it works for a while and then it just quits.... So damn frustrating.

Anyway, I played through Portal and it is AWESOME. I started going back through on Developer Commentary and it's really even more enjoyable the 2nd time through.

So I'm not a total Negative Nancy here -- just seems like they rushed the beta test or didn't have enough diversity beta users to flush out these obvious flaws.

I'm a software engineer myself, and believe me I understand that sometimes you ship software with known bugs because this is a business and we all have to pay rent and eat. I just think they rushed it a bit, and given another month or two of beta testing probably would have had a much smoother launch.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Un-Mac-Like is fine for Steam IMO. By using the same UI theoretically you'll be able to use all of the Skins from the windows version if they're made right? Which gives us a lot of flexibility. They've just made a big step towards abstracting themselves away from Windows and people expect them to integrate fully with osX.. Then Linux? It's better to have a single GUI deployable across all three from a usability and logistics perspective, I'd say.

Steam as a platform; maybe it's easier to swallow if think of it like a Games Console running on your Mac/PC.. If there were big differences between the client on different OS it'd cause confusion and probably arguments between the userbases. Steam doesnt follow any HIGs on any system.. It's just Steam. It does need to be smoother but it IS pretty, just different.. And nobody forces you to buy stuff from it. XD (and you'll be able to skin it to look osXy very very soon)

It's Un-Mac-Like, it's un-windows-like, it's un-linux-like.. Its just Steam-like, and millions of people *LIKE* that. Its better for switchers if it's familiar too.

amadeus3000

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
Back to that user interface. This whole un-mac-like discussion sucks. Guys, what makes a Mac so great? That every ****ING developer TRIES to adopt at least a part of Apple's guidelines. Which are GREAT and WORK – a reason for many users to switch to a Mac.

Now, Windows doesn't have that. Or at least, never featured them so prominently as Apple. So for all I care, you can do whatever you want on Windows. Hell, I USED Steam on Windows, it never bothered me. Not once. It felt sluggish (always had) but hey, I didn't expect anything else.

On a Mac though, the whole thing feels out of place. It feels out of place even compared to iTunes (which is the most troubled standard app of OS X, still coded in the old format, and so on). Why? Because navigating around (once it has, as iTunes, done its own things and is no longer busy) is still unresponsive and clunky at best. Valve hasn't done its job on this one. Normally they do. In a PC world they do their job perfectly. From a gamer's point of view they do their job perfectly (their DRM is great compared to Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Ubisoft and EA). But from my third point of view, from the point of view of a Mac user they did a pretty bad job. Not with Portal. Not with their DRM (which is the same). Not with the fairness towards the consumer (I already own their games on PC, I get them for free on a Mac). But with the fricking UI and their Steam client they did a bad job. Go look at the Steam forums. Mac users are complaining. They have to explain to Valve the 101 of Mac dock icon design (yes, there are tutorials for that). They have to explain to Valve the 101 of Mac UI. That should not be the case. Especially with a great company like Valve.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Adium is nicer looking than iChat.. The CS suite and many other apps have non standard icons, as do many other high profile apps. Apple ignore their own HIGs whenever they see fit.

Responsiveness is important. But having it look like every other osX app isn't to everyone. People.complain about everything.. More Win users hate Steam 2010 than mac users.. Because it's slightly different to what they're used to as well.. Oh no!

meinink2y

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2010
Same problem for me - other games opened fine but Braid just disappeared after that dialogue box popped up. I was in a rush so didn't do extensive testing - might just have required a restart, I will do some testing tonight.

Have you had any luck getting it to start? I've tried everything I can think of without results, and still no response from Support.

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
Fine. But why doesn't scrolling on the magic mouse work right? Why don't two finger gestures for moving forward and backward in web kit work right?

I don't see the distinction. Waiting is waiting. You say its "setting up the engine"... what engine is that, exactly? Shouldn't portal load its own libraries?

I don't think you really know what Steam is doing. My guess is that it's setting up the social networking/overlay stuff that it adds on top of Portal.

Scrolling will probably be fixed. It is the first release, I doubt valve could go and test EVERY mouse out there to see how they react. Report the bug.

The engineI am talking about is the Source engine. This is the engine that Portal uses, Counterstrike source uses half life2, team fortress and every other valve game.
You are right though, I don't know exactly what it is loading. I can only guess. That being said, I know the load time is the same as it is on windows.
It is not because of the in game overlay, as this same load time was there BEFORE they even introduced this feature.

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
It's very buggy and unpolished, which is something that has never happened with Valve before so this is very surprising. I'm sure they'll really fix it up over time, but right now it just feels like Valve isn't serious about Mac gaming, even with the release of Steam.

Can't wait for Team Fortress 2, though. :D

kitki83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2004
Los Angeles
Not sure if this is discussed but I mam trying to play Portal but I get a message that I have an unsupported graphics card. I have first gen Mac pro (when they first came out). Is this something Valve beta issues or I am screwed cause I have older graphics card?

Thank you

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Not sure if this is discussed but I mam trying to play Portal but I get a message that I have an unsupported graphics card. I have first gen Mac pro (when they first came out). Is this something Valve beta issues or I am screwed cause I have older graphics card?

Thank you

It may get resolved, but having a Mac Pro (not MacBookPro?) gives you the ability if necessary to upgrade your card if necessary. That would not qualify as being screwed. :)

I'm wondering if this could be a shaders compatibility issue? What kind of card do you have? Right click on the Apple (top left), select "about this mac", select "other info" to launch the Profiler, then look under Graphics.

roxnadz

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2006
I was initially disappointed, but after having completed Portal, I'm quite happy.

Steam - and Quake Live (yep, it's old. Nope, I don't care.) are what are getting me back to gaming on the Mac. I have no desire to blow away gigs of disk space for a Boot Camp partition, even with a 500GB drive installed. But I don't have any problem installing Mac-compatible Steam games.

This is what Mac owners have been waiting for since Intel Macs came out. Hopefully this continues to grow. I for one will definitely be supporting it.

masterofbuckets

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2009
I am guessing the short beta was only a closed "public" beta. They have a team of internal beta testers doing the real work.

Also, to the peope complaining that portal is a poor port because it runs better on windows thanOSX..
Have you ever though of the DRIVERS?!
On windows the drivers are written by the video card manufacturers and constantly updated. You are going to get the BEST performance of your video card on windows.
The video card drivers on OSX are out dated, and NOT designed for games!
Sure portal could be optimized, and VALVE WILL DO THAT!. Valve is probably one of the greatest companies when it comes to updates. They STILL support their old games like Counter strike 1.6. They are doing a massive update to Counter strike Source - a 6 year old game. Updating it to use the new engine, and giving it new features.
What company does this for free? Any one else would Re-release the game and charge you money!

Any ways, give it some time so APPLE can fix the drivers, and so Valve can update the games and steam platform. Things don't happen overnight.

+1

Apple is the handicap here....most users complaining about a 'crappy' port need to understand the drivers are the most important thing from a developer's perspective and it can make or break a game. Plus having laughable graphics chipsets ( atleast in the early models after the switch to Intel ) didn't help.

And its still in essential a Beta. Its not going to be pretty, but it should be atleast usable keeping in mind the potential for a few critical issues cropping up post release.

It really is amazing to see Steam on Mac. Be patient folks, and treat Valve well.

btw, I think a separate section for Steam discussion would be nice. Noticed the change in the forum name, 'Mac and PC games', but there is a Console games section within this so just need to re-organize.

Have something like this :

Games
- Steam for Mac
- General Mac gaming
- Console gaming
- PC gaming

It would also help in making things easier to access.

I understand the mods/admins may have considered this but just throwing this in the open. :eek:

Now, I should get back to Portal.

G-Force

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2006

Thank you
This model probably has the NVIDIA GeForce 7300 graphics. GeForce 7 series are unsupported by Source games because the drivers lack certain required OpenGL extensions. Valve can't fix this, Apple needs to fix this. You do have the option to upgrade your graphics card, which I would do anyway because the 7300 is not that fast.

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
Some of you must lead a pretty good life if a simple thing like the Steam GUI is such a big problem for you... :p

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
YES.

1. The UI STINKS. So un-mac-like.
2. It starts itself up at login BY DEFAULT. WTF. This should be an installer option that defaults to NO.
3. Why does it take so long to launch a game? What the hell is it doing? It's 5-6 seconds before the window even pops up. I have a relatively new (pre ix) MBP.
4. Can't create a dock shortcut directly into a game. You can create a "desktop" shortcut and then copy it into the dock. But either way it has to launch steam first, which is balls slow. And when you start a game, the dock shortcut isn't used, it creates a new process to actually run the game. So you have a minimum of 3 dock icons when playing a game.
5. Portal bug -- can't render through portals -- is sooo annoying. I've tried every which way I can to make it work. (It had to do with IGP versus discrete, but then they released a forced patch upgrade which f'ed it both ways. Sounds like the final fix is to boot Portal in windowed mode.)
6. Their CDN stinks. It was totally crushed on day 1. It took forever to just to even get a download started.
7. It complains about the IGP being enabled and I have to click through it every time I start the game with the IGP. Look, I get it already. Once is enough, please stop asking me. (Wouldn't be quite as a big a deal if they didn't have the portal rendering bug with the discrete graphics.)
8. Whole app is just very slow. Slow to launch initially, slow to launch games, etc.
9. The portal process is called 'hl2_osx'. Really? You couldn't rename the process to something human readable like 'Portal'?

Mind you, this is after 1-2 days of usage, playing through the one free game. I'm sure as the weeks go by I'll find more reasons to hate it.

I'm more of a console guy, anyway, I guess.
Oh grow up. If you don't like it, don't use it. It's no different in Windows though. It sounds like your nit-picking.

YES, there will be bugs. YES it isn't perfect. BUT it is a very good START. Give it some time.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Oh grow up. If you don't like it, don't use it. It's no different in Windows though. It sounds like your nit-picking.
Yea, I've been quite positive to it until today. Maybe it's my own fault for not closing Steam down whilst closing my Macbooks lid but after opening it, Steam would not continue my downloads no matter how many times I clicked resume. I closed Steam and it forced an update on me. 32mb on my connection takes around 10 minutes so that was annoying. There was no need for the update.
Hopefully they do fix it all up in the coming weeks and that Apple get some better drivers. I'd like to remove Windows from 1 of my Macs at least!

Have something like this :

Games
- Steam for Mac
- General Mac gaming
- Console gaming
- PC gaming

It would also help in making things easier to access.
Nonono, before Steam came along the games forum was quite dead. Why split that apart now? We'd only end up with dead forums and one active one. Hell the console board is pretty much dead and buried now save for literally a few regular posters.

Everything is as it should be. /zen

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
Yea, I've been quite positive to it until today. Maybe it's my own fault for not closing Steam down whilst closing my Macbooks lid but after opening it, Steam would not continue my downloads no matter how many times I clicked resume. I closed Steam and it forced an update on me. 32mb on my connection takes around 10 minutes so that was annoying. There was no need for the update.
Hopefully they do fix it all up in the coming weeks and that Apple get some better drivers. I'd like to remove Windows from 1 of my Macs at least!

Steam has already been updated quite a few times since it launched.. If you have not reset steam since then- that update was probably one of those that it needed to do.

wsippel

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2010
It's very buggy and unpolished, which is something that has never happened with Valve before so this is very surprising. I'm sure they'll really fix it up over time, but right now it just feels like Valve isn't serious about Mac gaming, even with the release of Steam.

Can't wait for Team Fortress 2, though. :D
As someone who's using Steam forever, I'm glad to say that your assumption is very, very wrong. In the early days, Steam on Windows was a complete mess of epic proportions. But it evolved and improved over the years. And that's exactly why I'm hopeful: Valve is constantly fixing, polishing and updating stuff - they already updated Steam for Mac several times since release, up to two times a day. There have been two Mac specific updates to Portal in not even a week as well.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I saw those options, they didn't have anything to do with starting the game at LOGIN. That's a big deal, because with the MBP you have to log out/log in to switch graphics.

Having steam open when I'm trying to work switch to IGP for battery life is annoying.

Steam>Preferences>Interface. Deselect run Steam when my computer starts.

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
are you freaking kidding me? people are complaining about this?

they release a free service that gives you (or will shortly give you) access to hundreds of games and demos and videos that were previously not available at all on the mac, or were spread out all over the whole internet at considerably higher prices, and to top it off, they give away a game that two days ago was 20 bucks JUST BECAUSE they want you to see that they are serious about Mac Gaming, and you freaking losers are COMPLAINING?

Do me a favor and uninstall it right now, please. Just go. I don't want to risk the possibility of running into any of you in a game online.

Just go back to your WoW account or play Halo again or whatever it is you guys do.

Steam has 2-3 actual bugs right now. Apple has shatty graphics drivers that are causing all kinds of problems, in some cases on computers that have been around for 4-5 years...the fact that you need 2-3x the graphics card in OS X to do the same thing you can do in bootcamp on the same machine should tell you something. Apple doesn't give a **** about gaming unless they can take their 30% cut off the top from the App store.

Apple doesn't care about their own UI guidelines, either. They break the rules all the time. Steam follows its own rules, and your Steam experience will be the same on Windows, Mac or soon, Linux machines. Since you can set up Steam to launch any game you have on your machine, it makes sense to adapt to that system instead of the system adapting to the Mac. Adobe didn't adapt their UI or interface to the Mac, they just run right over it, assigning keyboard shortcuts to things that conflict with OS X universal kb shortcuts and everything else. And you know what? I disabled those things in OS X because I use them in Adobe apps more often. I prefer Adobe's choices for KB shortcuts in most cases where they conflict with OS X. The OS is a means to an end. Steam is a means to an end. Grow Up.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

If only you could award rep on these forums! I completely agree. Steam, Source and Portal itself will continue to improve. The PC launch was much, much worse than this.
Best of all... everyone now has one of the best PC games for free. They're very dedicated to this Mac cause. They never gave out free games before! (now they did give out HL2 Deathmatch and others for people ATi graphics cards)

diegobgr

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2009
Hi.

I am a happy Steam user in Windows.

The release of Steam for Mac is a great new for me, cause I am going to leave Windows and switch to Mac Os.

How Steam games like Portal run? Anyone has tried it with the 4670 iMac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.