Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
My thoughts on this kerfuffle --

1. I stopped using OneDrive on Windows when I was trying to learn how to use MultiFile documents (Master + included) with Word. As I opened the document on different installations of Windows, I found it became corrupted. Internet searching told me that OneDrive and Master documents don’t go together.
  2. However, as has been noted, Autosave only works when an Office document is saved to OneDrive. This is just another way to lock people in to using the Microsoft Environment. Other applications (LibreOffice, for example) are quite happy to autosave wherever you tell it to.
  3. I have confirmed that with macOS 12.2, "Always keep on this Device", by default, is turned off, but can be turned back on. All files are then downloaded to the computer.
  4. I have confirmed that with macOS 12.3, "Always keep on this Device" has been removed. However, you can
    1. Select Icon View for the OneDrive folder
    2. Click between the icons and select "Always keep on this Device"
    3. Then, click on all the cloud icons in the bottom right hand corner of each folder/file icon to download that item to your computer.
  5. As I have pointed out in this post, I now use MEGA for my cloud storage. All I lose out on is Autosave in Office apps. However, I grew up using computers before autosave was a thing, and my fingers automatically press CMD-S every five minutes, or at the end of every paragraph, or whenever I get a paranoid twitch.

If you NEED to use Office apps for work purposes, use an app like LibreOffice* for all your main writing. Save to something other than OneDrive. When you need to submit the document, open it in Office, Save As to an Office format and submit that.

Send Microsoft a message by using the Microsoft Environment as little as possible.

* or Pages, or WPS, or Typora or FocusWriter or Anything but SueOffice

atosal

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2022
Czech republic
Got it. I should have got further in today's reading before replying. :)
But, this should do it:
  • ls -alR ~/Library/CloudStorage/OneDrive*
Thanks for advice, but no, it still doesn't work. Maybe it's a bug. I use standalone app with M1 support in beta, maybe that's the point.

wills11

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013
The OneDrive app is not a backup app, it is a sync app. If you only use it on one Mac it is still a sync - between your Mac and the OneDrive cloud. To make sure all files are both on your Mac and in the cloud, you need to mark all folders (in the OneDrive location on your Mac) as "Always keep on this device" (pinned). But as a sync service you don't need all the files on your Mac - so long as they are stored in the OneDrive cloud.

If you want a backup (and not sync), don't use the OneDrive sync app. Use an app like Arq which can use the OneDrive cloud as a remote backup location. And by backup app I mean one that keeps versions of files which were on your disk at various times in the past - just the same as Time Machine does for local backup. That allows restoration of files you have since deleted or modified, or of files destroyed by malware (e.g. a ransomware attack).

Your questions:

1) Yes, unless you tell the OneDrive app to "free up space". To make sure copies remain on your disk, pin all top level folders using "Always keep in this device" in the Finder context (control-click) menu.
2) They will be synced to OneDrive.
3) A backup app (e.g. Time Machine or Arq) can only backup those files on your local disk. It will not backup files only in the OneDrive cloud (see my previous post).
4) None, so long as the OneDrive apps and the OneDrive cloud are trouble free.
Thanks so much for this!

I'm getting the difference between sync/backup.

Unfortunately, I don't see anything in Finder context - nor do I see the little icons next to OneDrive files/folders. I have OneDrive Finder Integration turned on in SysPrefs Extensions.

Anyone know how to get that to appear?

And if it involves uninstalling/reinstalling OneDrive - will it delete the files from my hard drive when uninstalling?

Thanks again, so much!

W.

DrCC

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2021
Canada
I am very very sorry for the person who had this happen, I am posting his message here from the Microsoft OneDrive Blog as a WARNING for all the people stuck in this mess !!!

I've lost all my data for 20 years that i've collecting. Because of your new OneDrive glich. Upper folder marked as pinned (always on the device) but not all files and directories ready in subdirectories. But OneDrive is reporting that sync is complete. If you move this uncomplete folder from OneDrive to your local disk - OneDrive will create other copy of this directory and will report thats is ok. If you move this directory from OneDrive again (because you think this copy is full and complete now) - you will rewrite uncomplete data with new upcomplete data !!!!! OneDrive backup (rollback to 3 weeks before) is just doing nothing !

Burn-in-Hell !

Download ALL your data ASAP to an external drive (don't copy anything from your Mac) and stop using OneDrive on Mac. As of right now I am completely stopping using it on MAC, I still have it running on 2 Windows PCs until I manage to get all the data moved to Dropbox, iCloud or Mega.

There is no point in hoping for a fix, the Titanic is sinking....

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
I am very very sorry for the person who had this happen, I am posting his message here from the Microsoft OneDrive Blog as a WARNING for all the people stuck in this mess !!!

Download ALL your data ASAP to an external drive (don't copy anything from your Mac) and stop using OneDrive on Mac. As of right now I am completely stopping using it on MAC, I still have it running on 2 Windows PCs until I manage to get all the data moved to Dropbox, iCloud or Mega.

Did it truly wipe his data -- as in did it also delete from the cloud?

DrCC

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2021
Canada
That's all he posted. The Blog is HERE. Whether the data has been truly wiped or not is not relevant at this point, the OneDrive team has clearly lost control and I guess data loss can happen. I won't be sticking around to test the limits, I am done done with it.

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
I stand corrected > the IDLE ram usage has ballooned to 11.42 GB and I have not synced any files over OneDrive today.

Is anyone at Microsoft reading this? How is it possible for a syncing app to eat so much ram? Do you expect us to buy a 32GB MacBook Pro to run OneDrive?

View attachment 1953452
This must be a joke. I just checked mine... 5,33GB. I have ~7GB of data on my OneDrive that I use for work (which means no way to avoid it...)

Downloading all files seems to mean using A LOT of space in RAM. What I do not understand I s that when I quit OneDrive and launched it again, it was back to ~200MB.

By the way, do you have issue with searching folders via spotlight ? Mine do find them but with this icon :
Capture d’écran 2022-02-05 à 08.42.53.png

And when I tap Enter, it does nothing instead of opening the folder. I couldn't find a fix for this... If I open the folder once, it then will sometimes show in Spotlight as a folder that I can actually open.

I am pretty mad with this stupid update...!

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020

Okay, but HOW do I make a copy of all the data?

If I go to OneDrive online and try to download anything, it downloads at 200 kb/s, which will take weeks to download 1TB (if the download is even successful).

If I try to drag, or copy, anything out of my OneDrive folder, the Finder sits on "Preparing to move..." or "Preparing to copy..." with an infinite progress bar, and doesn't do anything.

This OneDrive folder is in Library/CloudStorage/OneDrive, and everything is supposedly IN that directory on my Mac (Always keep on this device done for everything, and the little cloud icon clicked for everything as well), and I can open files and navigate the folders. But short of doing into every single one of thousands of files and re-saving them somewhere else, I'm not sure what I can do to back the whole lot up.

Any help would be appreciated!

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
If your files have been inadvertently deleted, you can use the restore your OneDrive function from the web interface to recover your OneDrive to a previous state.

open OneDrive via a browser, bottom left of screen, you will see your storage usage. Select that and on the next screen select restore your OneDrive. You can then choose a prior date to restore to.

Last edited:
Reactions: southerndoc

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Thanks for the clarification, and yes, that does sound awful.

I've been using on-demand files in OneDrive for.... I think two years now. It saves disk space and works well, and from what I'm reading, this update will make it work more reliable. It is also how iCloud Drive works.

I am more worried about the RAM issues that people seem to be having.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
It is also how iCloud Drive works.

It is also how iCloud Drive CAN work... if you chose to tick the 'Optimise Mac Storage' option.

In any case, in the end I decided to move everything to iCloud Drive mainly because of the way this update was handled by Microsoft without properly informing customers and gaining consent first, and also because of the various bugs and issues reported, such as runaway RAM (as you mention), runaway CPU, icons not updating as they should, lack of Recycle Bin support, etc... etc.... etc...
In a few years as, and if, things get fixed, I might consider coming back simply because I am paying for Office anyway and OneDrive comes free with it.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
It is also how iCloud Drive CAN work... if you chose to tick the 'Optimise Mac Storage' option.

In any case, in the end I decided to move everything to iCloud Drive mainly because of the way this update was handled by Microsoft without properly informing customers and gaining consent first, and also because of the various bugs and issues reported, such as runaway RAM (as you mention), runaway CPU, icons not updating as they should, lack of Recycle Bin support, etc... etc.... etc...
In a few years as, and if, things get fixed, I might consider coming back simply because I am paying for Office anyway and OneDrive comes free with it.

Yeah, I'm also using iCloud Drive, the reason I use OneDrive is because they have a nice family plan that also comes with Office, too. And iCloud Drive is not as good for sharing files with non-Apple people.

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
That's all he posted. The Blog is HERE. Whether the data has been truly wiped or not is not relevant at this point, the OneDrive team has clearly lost control and I guess data loss can happen. I won't be sticking around to test the limits, I am done done with it.

I disagree. It's very relevant. He didn't lose his files if they are still online. He can still recover them. I would feel a lot worse for the guy if he truly lost his files (i.e., they were irrecoverable).

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
If your files have been inadvertently deleted, you can use the restore your OneDrive function from the web interface to recover your OneDrive to a previous state.

open OneDrive via a browser, bottom left of screen, you will see your storage usage. Select that and on the next screen select restore your OneDrive. You can then choose a prior date to restore to.

I wish something like that existed on a file by file basis, like Time Machine. I wonder how long it would take to revert a very large One Drive account to a previous point in time. I wouldn't count on it if I were running to an important meeting and couldn't find an accidentally deleted file.

These on-demand cloud storage solutions fly in the face of the value-add of Time Machine. Thankfully, OneDrive still supports keeping all your files synchronized to your computer. But be aware, you'll have to use Time Machine against the cache folder to ensure you get all past history.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
I wish something like that existed on a file by file basis, like Time Machine. I wonder how long it would take to revert a very large One Drive account to a previous point in time. I wouldn't count on it if I were running to an important meeting and couldn't find an accidentally deleted file.

These on-demand cloud storage solutions fly in the face of the value-add of Time Machine. Thankfully, OneDrive still supports keeping all your files synchronized to your computer. But be aware, you'll have to use Time Machine against the cache folder to ensure you get all past history.
Depending on the size of your OneDrive, it can take awhile. The online OneDrive web based recycle bin is good for file by file recovery. I've used both successfully in the past.

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
I've been using on-demand files in OneDrive for.... I think two years now. It saves disk space and works well, and from what I'm reading, this update will make it work more reliable. It is also how iCloud Drive works.

I am more worried about the RAM issues that people seem to be having.
You got it wrong if I may. The iCloud Drive solution works properly if you choose to keep your files downloadeed on your Mac. You can access all of them offline, they never need to be downloaded manually.
OneDrive, even when you ask it to keep a folder on your drive, won’t dàwnload new files created on another device that uses the same OneDrive. This is the issue, plus the fact spotlight is a mess when you try to search for a file or a folder in OneDrive because of this.

RAM issue being the ice on the cake ?

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Just before I pulled the plug on it, this is how ram OneDrive needed. 22 GB. Mind blowing. View attachment 1954860

It's mind blowing just how buggy this release is. Also, it's mind blowing how they rolled it out, barely a warning to users who were not totally clued in to the changes taking place on their disks. I did mention earlier that Path Finder users who had a favorite to their One Drive folder are now left with a favorite to the One Drive cache directory (presumably not where Microsoft wants users to be working). It seems like users should have been seriously alerted to the movement of the actual data on their disk.

So what gives? Maybe there was something pushing Microsoft to get this out the door quickly and that same thing prompted Dropbox to alert its users about upcoming issues with their offline files. The common denominator is Apple. Maybe they caught Microsoft and Dropbox unprepared. We know that they were warned about the kernel extensions being unsupported as of Big Sur. So, why didn't both companies move sooner and more carefully? There's something mysterious here; I'm thinkin' ancient aliens were involved.

DrCC

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2021
Canada
I disagree. It's very relevant. He didn't lose his files if they are still online. He can still recover them. I would feel a lot worse for the guy if he truly lost his files (i.e., they were irrecoverable).

There are more and more people reporting corrupted and unusable files on the Microsoft Community discussion. I've said it before, stop using OneDrive on a Mac. At least for now until the whole mess gets fixed.
On Windows it works beautifully just like before, for those who can, maintain a local copy on a Windows PC, doing it on a Mac is very risky. Also keeping a local copy on Mac and having all your files corrupted can also extend to the Windows PC local copy if the corrupted files on the Mac side get uploaded in the cloud. So use it if you need to, but do in on Windows only.... for now, hopefully a fix will come for the Mac users that still need to use OneDrive for various reasons.

I have OneDrive synced to two Macs. Both have been set to always keep files on device.

For the past couple of days, I keep finding corrupted image files in OneDrive on one of the Macs every now and then. The files are OK in the cloud, and on another Mac (so they are obviously NOT corrupt in the cloud as such), but on this one, while they look like normal files (they are downloaded, seem to be available offline, and filesize looks normal), neither Preview nor any other app can open them.

Fortunately, I can still download them from the cloud — but I'm not sure what I/we are supposed to do now, should I go through thousands of files locally and check every single one of them?

I have never had ANY cloud service corrupt local files so needless to say my trust in OneDrive has now completely diminished. This also means we can not trust any local backups following the recent changes because, while the files may look OK at first glance, they are in fact corrupt and may end up as corrupt (and therefore non-restorable) in any local backup.

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
Thanks for advice, but no, it still doesn't work. Maybe it's a bug. I use standalone app with M1 support in beta, maybe that's the point.

[EDIT: NEVER MIND, SEE MY NEXT POST BELOW]

I'm on M1 Pro but not on the beta release of OneDrive, and the Terminal command ls -alR ~/OneDrive doesn't seem to result in the desired outcome for me either; it still takes a couple of seconds for the list of files to appear in Finder if I haven't opened that folder previously since the OneDrive update.

Is anyone able to confirm that the Terminal command worked for them?

Last edited:

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
Try ls -alR (there is a space after the "R"), dragging & dropping your OneDrive folder into the Terminal window, then press Return. Worked for me.

Well, seems to be working anyways...it's been about 10 minutes and the Terminal is still showing messages working through the various folders...seems promising/about right though.

Edit: It took many hours, but yes, it worked.

Last edited:

atosal

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2022
Czech republic
Try ls -alR (there is a space after the "R"), dragging & dropping your OneDrive folder into the Terminal window, then press Return. Worked for me.

Well, seems to be working anyways...it's been about 10 minutes and the Terminal is still showing messages working through the various folders...seems promising/about right though.
Perfect! it works! Happy we found out the solution. Thanks :)

Reactions: PkennethV

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
By the way, do you have issue with searching folders via spotlight ? Mine do find them but with this icon :
View attachment 1954677

And when I tap Enter, it does nothing instead of opening the folder. I couldn't find a fix for this... If I open the folder once, it then will sometimes show in Spotlight as a folder that I can actually open.

I am pretty mad with this stupid update...!

Anyone found a way to be able to open a folder in One Drive from a spotlight search ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.