Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I'm still on 22.022 and the automatic download is working well. This release is before the newer planned release which cleans things up a bit.

New files added on a different machine immediately show up, fully downloaded in the OneDrive cache folder -

~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.OneDriveStandaloneSuite/OneDrive.noindex/OneDrive

The user folder at ~/Library/CloudStorage/OneDrive-Personal only gets a size zero file with a cloud showing next to it. Clicking on the cloud results in the full version of the file to appear there, without triggering any internet download. My understanding is that it just sets it up as a clone of the version I already have on disk in the cache folder.

This latter size-zero file is what messes up Spotlight since it does not index the cache folder. Spotlight is not made aware of the contents of the file until the "download" from the cache folder finishes.

gilby101

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Clicking on the cloud results in the full version of the file to appear there, without triggering any internet download. My understanding is that it just sets it up as a clone of the version I already have on disk in the cache folder.
If the file is not in the cache there will be a download to get it.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
If the file is not in the cache there will be a download to get it.
Otherwise, it would be magic!

Yeah, since setting everything to "keep on my computer" at the top level, the files are always in the cache by the time I ever need them. That is the sense that I think the download part is OK.

DrCC

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2021
Canada
So I heard the native Apple Silicon OneDrive app was released and I found it for download HERE

The download link mentions version 22.033.0213.0002 but I see it installed version 22.045.0227.0004 instead (Apple silicon).

Changes I noticed:
1. Much lower ram usage. It used to eat over 10GB of ram before, it is now around 600MB and it is syncing my files
2. Spotlight finds all my files and folders and I can open them directly from Spotlight.

I am not sure how this App will update in the future since I didn't get it from the App Store and it came directly from Microsoft support pages.

VictorTango777

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017
After update, what happens when deleting files from OneDrive folder on Mac:

1647753851787.png

On Windows, deleting a file from OneDrive folder puts the file in the Windows Recycle Bin. If a Mac is synced to the same account, the deleted file also goes in the Mac Trash.

Microsoft has a vested interest in making sure the Windows versions of their applications get more features and work better than their applications on other platforms. So if Microsoft truly believes that the changes in OneDrive for Mac (making Files On Demand mandatory, permanently deleting files) are the best design, then why didn't they make the same changes to OneDrive for Windows?

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
So I heard the native Apple Silicon OneDrive app was released and I found it for download HERE

The download link mentions version 22.033.0213.0002 but I see it installed version 22.045.0227.0004 instead (Apple silicon).

Changes I noticed:
1. Much lower ram usage. It used to eat over 10GB of ram before, it is now around 600MB and it is syncing my files
2. Spotlight finds all my files and folders and I can open them directly from Spotlight.

I am not sure how this App will update in the future since I didn't get it from the App Store and it came directly from Microsoft support pages.
Yes same for me, it has updated to 22.045 and now I finally can open folders & files from Spotlight !
This is a BIG relief...

After update, what happens when deleting files from OneDrive folder on Mac:

View attachment 1976977

On Windows, deleting a file from OneDrive folder puts the file in the Windows Recycle Bin. If a Mac is synced to the same account, the deleted file also goes in the Mac Trash.

Microsoft has a vested interest in making sure the Windows versions of their applications get more features and work better than their applications on other platforms. So if Microsoft truly believes that the changes in OneDrive for Mac (making Files On Demand mandatory, permanently deleting files) are the best design, then why didn't they make the same changes to OneDrive for Windows?
Same goes for me. But you can access the Sharepoint or Personal OneDrive recycle bin I guess from the web version of OneDrive or Sharepoint. At least I could, but it is definitely not a "good" option IMHO.

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
Yes same for me, it has updated to 22.045 and now I finally can open folders & files from Spotlight !
This is a BIG relief...

Same goes for me. But you can access the Sharepoint or Personal OneDrive recycle bin I guess from the web version of OneDrive or Sharepoint. At least I could, but it is definitely not a "good" option IMHO.
Is 22.045 Universal?

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
With the new OneDrive, the folder doesn't contain the OneDrive logo in it. Does anyone know how to get this back (i.e., the folder in the dock - I would like for it to have the OneDrive logo displayed overlaying the folder icon). Also, can one create a shortcut with the OneDrive folder icon?

DrCC

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2021
Canada
How do I remove OneDrive from my MAC and get back all the disk space it is using including whatever cache files? I'd like to purge my MAC from anything related to OneDrive.

I have moved away from OneDrive to Dropbox, I have deleted all the OneDrive files in the cloud and I am waiting for it to sync with my MAC. Once it is done, how do I remove anything that is linked to OneDrive from my MAC SSD? I'd like to get all the space back with no leftover stray files. I am not using a Mac cleaner app, if possible, I'd like to do it manually or via Terminal.

EDIT: It won't let me delete all the files in OneDrive, I get the error message below. I had jus under 1TB of files in OneDrive, and after deleting a bunch of them, I lost another 100GB of SSD space. So I have 1.1TB worth of OneDrive crap that I have to delete from the SSD. Where is all this stuff located on Mac?

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 7.28.18 PM.png

Last edited:

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2020
Hi all,

I'm getting a bit confused with all the individual issues being posted here.

Questions:

Q1) In OneDrive now fixed and working as expected for Monterey?

Q2) Specifically - can files now be stored locally onto the hard drive?

Q3) Specifically - Is the syncing with updates made outside the apple eco system working ok, with no serious time lags?

Hope you can advise on the above! :)

Would like to move to Monterey, but the One Drive issue is the one thing holding me back.

Best wishes
Martin

DrCC

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2021
Canada
Q1 - No
Q2 - Files are stored locally, but in a cache somewhere, you don't have access directly to your files.
Q3 - Syncing works on both Mac and Windows.

OneDrive is not a good option for Mac anymore. Use Dropbox or Mega.

Reactions: Marty_Macfly

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
Hi all,

I'm getting a bit confused with all the individual issues being posted here.

Questions:

Q1) In OneDrive now fixed and working as expected for Monterey?

Q2) Specifically - can files now be stored locally onto the hard drive?

Q3) Specifically - Is the syncing with updates made outside the apple eco system working ok, with no serious time lags?

Hope you can advise on the above! :)

Would like to move to Monterey, but the One Drive issue is the one thing holding me back.

Best wishes
Martin
Q1) For Monterey, on my side, yes.

Q2) Yes they can. The exact path is easy to found and the backups I do have them properly stored on my external drive.

Q3) Not sure what you meant here. An example ?

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2020
Q1) For Monterey, on my side, yes.

Q2) Yes they can. The exact path is easy to found and the backups I do have them properly stored on my external drive.

Q3) Not sure what you meant here. An example ?

Hi M – E,

Many thanks for the info, much appreciated.

For Q3
Say I updated excel file on a windows laptop, and hit saved. Would the MacBook excel pick up that there has been a change to the document, and I would be able to open up the latest version?

Or is there some weird time lag if using the MacBook, instead of another Windows laptop?

Hope you can advise

Martin

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
Hi M – E,

Many thanks for the info, much appreciated.

For Q3
Say I updated excel file on a windows laptop, and hit saved. Would the MacBook excel pick up that there has been a change to the document, and I would be able to open up the latest version?

Or is there some weird time lag if using the MacBook, instead of another Windows laptop?

Hope you can advise

Martin
Ok, now I understand. My main colleague uses a windows PC and I am on a mac. We have a common Sharepoint and everything syncs smoothly so far. By smoothly, I mean as it used to do before this big OneDrive update.

kwehner

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2022
How do I remove OneDrive from my MAC and get back all the disk space it is using including whatever cache files? I'd like to purge my MAC from anything related to OneDrive.

I have moved away from OneDrive to Dropbox, I have deleted all the OneDrive files in the cloud and I am waiting for it to sync with my MAC. Once it is done, how do I remove anything that is linked to OneDrive from my MAC SSD? I'd like to get all the space back with no leftover stray files. I am not using a Mac cleaner app, if possible, I'd like to do it manually or via Terminal.

EDIT: It won't let me delete all the files in OneDrive, I get the error message below. I had jus under 1TB of files in OneDrive, and after deleting a bunch of them, I lost another 100GB of SSD space. So I have 1.1TB worth of OneDrive crap that I have to delete from the SSD. Where is all this stuff located on Mac?

View attachment 1980907
You can close OneDrive by clicking it's icon in the Menu Bar > Gear button > Quit OneDrive. The cache is located here:
/Users/YOUR_USER_NAME/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.OneDriveStandaloneSuite/OneDrive.noindex/OneDrive

Reactions: DrCC

DrCC

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2021
Canada
Thank you, I was able to delete the files inside the cache folder.

Also, in the same location, I see there are more folders that connect to OneDrive. Are these folders safe to delete completely? I have already removed the OneDrive App and I won't probably use it anytime soon.

1648420065290.png

kwehner

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2022
Thank you, I was able to delete the files inside the cache folder.

Also, in the same location, I see there are more folders that connect to OneDrive. Are these folders safe to delete completely? I have already removed the OneDrive App and I won't probably use it anytime soon.

View attachment 1982159
If you're no longer using OneDrive, then it's probably OK to delete the folders that have "OneDrive" in their name, but if you're still using MS Office, I wouldn't delete the "Office" folder.

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
Still wondering why there is such a delay in transitioning people to Apple Silicon via the App Store. I don't want a standalone updater running as it uses additional resources and I like having everything going through the App Store.

For those that deleted and reinstalled via the App Store, did it install the AS/Universal version or did it install the Intel version?

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
Still wondering why there is such a delay in transitioning people to Apple Silicon via the App Store. I don't want a standalone updater running as it uses additional resources and I like having everything going through the App Store.

For those that deleted and reinstalled via the App Store, did it install the AS/Universal version or did it install the Intel version?
Seems to be the 22.045 version, so it should be.

ursamaior

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2019
I've installed version 22.055 of Onedrive and I am desperately trying to find a way to get it working like it used to.
My setup is as follows:
1) Onedrive folder on external hard drive (APFS).
2) onedrive cloud currently empty

I need to upload my documents (250 GB).
In the past, all I would have had to do was put them in the "Onedrive" folder to start the upload.
But what should I do now?
I have tried putting my files in the hidden ".ODContainer-Onedrive" folder, but it won't upload them.
Does anyone have any solutions?

DrCC

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2021
Canada
A lot of us former OneDrive users have abandoned it and moved to other services (Dropbox, Mega).
A few actually ended up with data loss after the botched OneDrive update.
Personally I have moved to Dropbox (I had a 1 month trial for 2TB) and so far it has worked beautifully and I have literally no headaches or worries. I read reports Mega works really good too.
You can try to tame OneDrive, but a lot of us have tried and failed. Your call in the end.

Last edited:

rboy505

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2012
FWIW, I've been a fairly satisfied user of OneDrive since doing the 1T deal about four years ago. But I never use the app (installed it, deleted it ten minutes) later, never sync anything. Just use the web interface. It's possible to do syncing via other apps but it just isn't part of a syncing workflow for me. One reason I've stayed with it is that OneDrive handles multiple uploads much better than most.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.