Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
Ok thanks. Mine is a 9CFO as well. The profile I'm using takes away the dull look without colors looking over saturated. And whites are very white, blacks very black.

Thank you! Can you remind me of how to use the profile file? I'm not able to find a way to add a pre-created profile to the display color settings.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
MBA 13" 9CF0 profile

Here's a profile I made for the 13" 9CF0 display using ColorEyesDisplay Pro and an X-Rite i1 color meter. The default seems very contrasty. This profile seems fairly accurate but some blues may look a little more purple. I've seen this on all laptop displays. It's a compromise with the limited color gamut available.

Unzip the file and the copy the icc file to /Library/Colorsync/Profiles/Displays or ~/Library/Colorsync/Profiles/Displays. The open System Preferences, then select the Displays panel. Then select the Color tab at the top and click on the profile name.

Attachments

• MBA13-9cf0 Native 22.icc.zip
    145.4 KB · Views: 862

ozziemo

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2010
Anyone willing to share the profile of a calibrated 9CF3 screen of the MBA 11.6 ?

Thanks in advance!

ton123

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2007
Here's a profile I made for the 13" 9CF0 display using ColorEyesDisplay Pro and an X-Rite i1 color meter. The default seems very contrasty. This profile seems fairly accurate but some blues may look a little more purple. I've seen this on all laptop displays. It's a compromise with the limited color gamut available.

Unzip the file and the copy the icc file to /Library/Colorsync/Profiles/Displays or ~/Library/Colorsync/Profiles/Displays. The open System Preferences, then select the Displays panel. Then select the Color tab at the top and click on the profile name.

wow that was quite low color gamut. i was hoping the new mba 13" would have the same color gamut as the latest mbp 13 / 15 which are almost 100% srgb gamut.

taphil

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2007
Copy/paste this into Terminal to find the LCD model number:

ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

My 11" MBA is
9CF2
LP116WH4-TPA1 by LG-Philips

I think the viewing angles are as good as my 17" MBP with a Samsung display. Brightness and uniformity are excellent. Also, blacks are very good, and there is very little backlight bleed on a black screen. Colors, however, are just ok with reportedly according to Anandtech a ~50% color gamut compared to the ~75% of the MBP displays.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
I have decided I really like this one. Gives me deep blacks and colors seem very true at least on my screen. Try it out. Make sure you change the file extension to .icc before using it.

I'm not able to extract the .zip. Could you repost this please?

Thanks, I like it. Though I'm confused you say the original profile was too contrasty. Wouldn't that suggest your improved profile should have less deep blacks? This is not what I'm finding.

wow that was quite low color gamut. i was hoping the new mba 13" would have the same color gamut as the latest mbp 13 / 15 which are almost 100% srgb gamut.

What do you mean, that the display itself has low gamut, or that the profile provided by bcaslis has low gamut?

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Thanks, I like it. Though I'm confused you say the original profile was too contrasty. Wouldn't that suggest your improved profile should have less deep blacks? This is not what I'm finding.

Not necessarily. The original seems to have a very steep curve so thing near black become black and those near white become white. A less contrasty curve can have just as black blacks but the curve is less step so a grey remains grey. It reminds of color profiles used in consumer cameras, steep curves so the colors are more "punchy". Might look better at first until you examine it closely.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Updated MBA 13" 9CF0 profile

Here's an updated profile I made for the 13" 9CF0 display using ColorEyesDisplay Pro and an X-Rite i1 color meter. The previous I think was set to D65 white balance instead of native. This profile seems fairly accurate but some blues may look a little more purple. I've seen this on all laptop displays. It's a compromise with the limited color gamut available.

Attachments

• MBA13-9cf0 Native 22.icc.zip
    145.4 KB · Views: 783

w00tini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
Here's an updated profile I made for the 13" 9CF0 display using ColorEyesDisplay Pro and an X-Rite i1 color meter. The previous I think was set to D65 white balance instead of native. This profile seems fairly accurate but some blues may look a little more purple. I've seen this on all laptop displays. It's a compromise with the limited color gamut available.

this one actually isn't too bad on the 11.6" either. it sharpens it up from the stock profile immensely.

it would still be good if a few of you with 11.6" units and calibrators could run one or two off for comparison. i pay with cookies, witty banter, and an undying adulation for you efforts.

zartemis

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2010
I made a profile using an i1 pro on easy settings for my 11.6" 9cf2.

Attachments

• Monitor_10-31-10_1.icc.zip
    3.3 KB · Views: 431

ender21

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
Southern Cal
i was hoping the new mba 13" would have the same color gamut as the latest mbp 13 / 15 which are almost 100% srgb gamut.

That appears to not be the case. Calibrated with Spyder3Elite. I ran calibration twice using two slightly different methods and both results were virtually identical.

9CF0:

RobNor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2010
The display on mine (9CF0) is certainly on the cool side,infact cooler than anything else I have,2 Dell laptops,1 Dell IPS monitor,iphone 4 and ipad and also the Dell monitors we have at work which all look warm by comparison

ton123

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2007
That appears to not be the case. Calibrated with Spyder3Elite. I ran calibration twice using two slightly different methods and both results were virtually identical.

9CF0:

Your graft clearly shows the 13" mba color gamut is well below srgb. As with latest mbp 13"and 15" they are closely match the srgb green diagram.
Not really a deal breaker but something to take into consideration if you are into design editing / photography as the mba isnt capable to show as much color as the mbp. :)

I am getting a mba 13" myself tomorrow to replace a i5 mbp 15. Hopefulyy it wont be a dramatic decrease in color quality. Will calibrate with colormunki and post here of course.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008

9CF0:

Anyone done a similar graph for the 11" display?

ender21

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
Southern Cal
Your graft clearly shows the 13" mba color gamut is well below srgb. As with latest mbp 13"and 15" they are closely match the srgb green diagram.
Not really a deal breaker but something to take into consideration if you are into design editing / photography as the mba isnt capable to show as much color as the mbp. :)

I am getting a mba 13" myself tomorrow to replace a i5 mbp 15. Hopefulyy it wont be a dramatic decrease in color quality. Will calibrate with colormunki and post here of course.

Agreed. But for general usage the MBA will suffice, so not a dealbreaker here either.

My understanding of LED-lit LCDs is that you need RGB LEDs for a wider gamut. White LCDs generally truncate the gamut.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I just received my 11.6" MacBook Air and I have just calibrated the display to the best of my ability. I am posting the color calibration profile here, for anybody to use. Here it is:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.