Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anto38x

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2006
Cork, Ireland
DJAY 2.0 & MacBook Pro & Griffin iMic - HELP!!!

Hi guys... I just purchased a new MacBook Pro and DJAY 2.0 for some local DJing I would like to start doing. I use to used physical decks (Technics SL1200) but I'm really loving what this small app DJAY 2.0 has to offer... my problem is... that I purchased the Griffin iMic so that I could get my headphones to work for cueing... but now I'm wondering what further equipment, if any, do I need to hook with a professional amplifier... what cabling do I need...?? to get the best possible sound...?? any comments..?? ideas?? would be most welcome.. I have a wedding to perform at in two weeks in Waterford Castle and panic is starting to set in...

Yours sincerely,
Anthony MacCarthy
Irish MacUser and MacAddict

qsoundrich

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2007
I decided to get an M-Audio X-session pro at a closing down Compusa for $85. It comes with a basic version of their software Torq LE (which is pretty damn good), and has a nice simple midi controller. The problem is that you will need an external sound card with 2 stereo inputs and 2 stereo outputs to do beatmatching (and handle audio inputs.) Something like the numark DJIO or one of the M-Audio external cards that has 8 connections, or the ESI Maya 44.

If I really get into this I may end up moving to the M-Audio Xponent--it comes with the full version of Torq and has the sound interfaces included.

Now it sounds like you may have already solved the issue of cueing through headphones? Are you just outputting the main channels from the laptop internal sound card and using the imic for the headphones? That would solve the only thing I need left since I'm a laptop DJ and have no tables. The software, however, is pretty amazing at doing the beatmatching automatically.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
If I really get into this I may end up moving to the M-Audio Xponent--it comes with the full version of Torq and has the sound interfaces included.

I'm on the verge of buying one of these myself. Looks really sweet. For those of you unfamiliar with the Xponent & Torq, there are 21 tutorial videos on the torq-dj website. A couple of them focus on a vinyl control set-up, but the rest focus on the Xponent controller.

Also, be sure to shop around. A lot of the big music retailers are selling the Xponent+Torq for $600. J&R Music World is currently selling it for $500, and you can find it on eBay (from reputable sellers) for as low as $460 w/ free shipping.

God knows I don't need another $500 toy, but the urge is so strong...

WarriorTi22

Jun 24, 2008
are there any new updates to DJ software for Macs? I am looking into buying my own equipment. I am used to using two CDJ's and a mixer, but would love to be able to use my macbook.

Djcyder

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2008
My friend uses Virtual DJ although I have no idea how professional it is, he just uses it for messing about with mixing tracks.

VirtualDJ Is a fine mixing software one of the only one successfully mixing vob/mpeg2 music videos on OSX. I've been using it for over a year live now with the denon hc-4500 and x500 mixer.

image.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.