Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluesteel310

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
Absolutely do not spend $1000+ on the 15 pro max. It has a bug that causes making a phone call practically impossible. You have to reboot the phone and you can make maybe one call before it freezes up.

Siri also doesn’t work. It spins and thinks and then shuts down. No amount of rebooting the phone will cause it to work.

Reinstalling the os does nothing. Wiping the phone and doing a fresh install does nothing. The newest update 17.0.3 does not fix the problem.

I have a case with apple. It’s in the hands of the engineers. So far….nothing.

i Don’t know if this happens with other models of the 15 but I know at least 5 other people who are having this problem with the pro max.

DO. NOT. BUY.

It’s a $1000 paperweight.

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
A bit overdramatic? You ran into an issue that I didn't hear about until now. It seems like it affects a small proportion of the userbase. You are still under the warranty, so Apple most likely will replace the iPhone if there is a clear defect.

I don't have the iPhone 15 PM, but this kind of post is silly. It's unfortunate that you ran into issues, but it can happen, and this doesn't mean that all iPhones 15 PM are defective.

bluesteel310

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
It’s not silly. It’s a $1000 phone that doesn’t make….phone calls. Seems to me a fairly basic function. Of a $1000 PHONE.

this is also my second phone.

imagine needing to call 911 in an emergency. And it won’t make a call.

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
And I agree it's an annoying bug, but let's face it: if all iPhone 15 PM users were unable to make a call, you can be sure that this forum would be flooded with threads about that. It clearly doesn't affect everybody, you have an ongoing case with Apple, give them a little time to figure that out. There are a million reasons why you could have run into this specific issue

NdTonks

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2021
This seems to be a near unheard of issue that Apple will almost certainly give you a new device for. I wouldn't say its enough to warn every prospective buyer over. I mean I have had issues with all kinds of electronic devices over the years...defects happen. Yet to find a manufacturer who won't fix or replace it with a functional one.

bluesteel310

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
Today I discovered 5 people - four colleagues - who have the same issue. They couldn’t call Apple because they can’t make phone calls. I directed them to chat support.

I also discovered another person through here with the same issue.

i thought it wa initially a hardware issue. But this is now two phones in a row with the same issue.

im sure Apple will repair it. Until then you should absolutely not spend $1000+ dollars on a phone that cannot make….phone calls.

If I buy a first class ticket to nyc I doubt I’d be happy that the plane made it to Cleveland.

bluesteel310

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
software glitches never happen to just a few people. This forum is followed by a tiny fraction of Apple owners. The lack of posting on here is not indicative of much.

but give this a shot: turn your phone off and try to dial 911. Pretend there’s a fire.

suddenly it’s not just a small glitch.

There was a fire last Saturday in my condo complex as an fyi.

bluesteel310

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
If it was software (iOS), the likelihood of it affecting many people would be much greater than just you. How do you know a third party app you have loaded isn't causing the problem?
That’s easy. I’ve wiped the phone. Multiple times. the Tech at the Apple Store installed a fresh copy of the iOS. A few calls later….frozen. Without restoring any backup or apps.

i Doubt it’s a carrier issue in that the phone doesn’t dial at some point.

the glitch is effecting the phone app, Siri and the Apple Store app. The latter two simply never fully load.

tcatsninfan

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2022
This is my second phone. It’s not hardware. It’s software.
Today I discovered 5 people - four colleagues - who have the same issue. They couldn’t call Apple because they can’t make phone calls.
There was a fire last Saturday in my condo complex as an fyi.
OP is exaggerating one or more of these claims. Imagine the odds:
  • Apple created software that makes it almost impossible to use a critical part of their most expensive iPhone, AND
  • Issue hasn't been reported anywhere else online, AND
  • Within a day, OP found 5 people close to him who ALL bought iPhone 15 Pro Maxes and have the same critical issue that no one else online has reported, AND
  • There just happened to be a fire at his condo complex last week that would have possibly necessitated using this critical function that he says is not functioning
The odds of all those things being true TOGETHER are simply astronomical.

Furthermore, let's play this out. OP says it's a software issue, not hardware. If that's the case, Apple could send a software update to fix this problem (if it were real). That wouldn't prevent people from buying the phone. A much more accurate title to this thread would be "Major issue with iPhone 15 PM software" or something to that effect.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I found the solution to your problem ...

1. Tap the Phone icon on your device’s home screen.
2. Select Keypad from the menu displayed at the bottom of your screen.
3. Enter the phone number of the person you would like to call.
4. Tap the Green Phone button to make the call to the number you entered.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
OP is exaggerating one or more of these claims. Imagine the odds:
  • Apple created software that makes it almost impossible to use a critical part of their most expensive iPhone, AND
  • Issue hasn't been reported anywhere else online, AND
  • Within a day, OP found 5 people close to him who ALL bought iPhone 15 Pro Maxes and have the same critical issue that no one else online has reported, AND
  • There just happened to be a fire at his condo complex last week that would have possibly necessitated using this critical function that he says is not functioning
The odds of all those things being true TOGETHER are simply astronomical.

Furthermore, let's play this out. OP says it's a software issue, not hardware. If that's the case, Apple could send a software update to fix this problem (if it were real). That wouldn't prevent people from buying the phone. A much more accurate title to this thread would be "Major issue with iPhone 15 PM software" or something to that effect.

It’s almost like it’s made up. Or the OP is being wilfully ignorant in describing the actual issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.