Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hendrik84

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
I've never had an iPhone before, only iPads and iPods.

Now that I'm thinking of one, it makes it hard to go for it when I keep hearing the news of a bigger better 6 just around the corner....of course, no matter what you buy, there's always gonna be something better out later on but it just makes me hesitate to go for a product that's reaching the end of its cycle.

What say ye MR's? Am I just super vain? How are you guys liking your iPhone 5s'?

:confused:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
WWDC is only a two weeks away - wait until then to see what Apple may or may not do.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I would wait until you hear what is announced but if you need a phone today, you buy a phone today.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
Wait for the iPhone 6. You will just regret it for having that quick fix of having a new shiny toy instead of waiting.

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Feb 5, 2007
I was waiting but everything gets outdated 2 seconds after you buy it. My iPhone 4 was too unbearable so I got a 5S the other day. It's sexy. I like it. :)

JayMarcel

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2014
Its actually really stupid not to buy a phone when you need it...just because a newer model will come out some other time. Get a life guys!!!! thats going to continue forever

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Its actually really stupid not to buy a phone when you need it...just because a newer model will come out some other time. Get a life guys!!!! thats going to continue forever
Nothing stupid about it just depends on what you need/want--everyone is different and there's no right or wrong when it comes to something like this, just a personal decision based on what works for you.

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
I work at Best Buy in the mobile area and I get quite a few customers (hell even some coworkers) who ask this same question. I always tell them that you simply cannot keep up with technology. You want the 5S but constant iPhone 6 rumors are preventing you from getting it. However, as soon as the iPhone 6 comes out...then iPhone 6S rumors are gonna start up and then you'll just be right back in the same "should I get it now, or wait for the next and more newer device" If you wait for the newest device, you'll honestly be waiting forever.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I work at Best Buy in the mobile area and I get quite a few customers (hell even some coworkers) who ask this same question. I always tell them that you simply cannot keep up with technology. You want the 5S but constant iPhone 6 rumors are preventing you from getting it. However, as soon as the iPhone 6 comes out...then iPhone 6S rumors are gonna start up and then you'll just be right back in the same "should I get it now, or wait for the next and more newer device" If you wait for the newest device, you'll honestly be waiting forever.

True, and I would agree if we weren't already on the 'S' model. The iPhone 6 is going to be a big redesign and when you see the larger screen, you'll wish that you had waited for it.
*Unless of course you prefer the smaller screen, and in which case buy the 5S immediately.

hendrik84

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
Appreciate the replies.

I don't really "need" a new phone. It's all for the sake of convenience.

I have an iPad that I use a lot but my phone is....hope you're sitting down....an old Nokia phone. It's not a smartphone and has an actual keypad with a tiny screen...yes I'm a dinosaur.

That's why I'm thinking if I should wait for the next big thing since I'm finally making the jump, I've made it this far with an old phone and waiting a few more months wouldn't really matter much to me.....the argument against that is it won't matter if I get the 5, 5S, or the 6 because because almost any smartphone I get will be such a huge leap forward in terms of quality and convenience.

One point I kinda liked in another thread was just staying with the S cycle of phones. It's the more updated and faster version of the previous(same number) model. Of course that argument is two-sided.

Maybe I'll end up getting the 5S but just sell it in October for the new 6...

Feel free to chime in :p

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK

Now that I'm thinking of one, it makes it hard to go for it when I keep hearing the news of a bigger better 6 just around the corner....of course, no matter what you buy, there's always gonna be something better out later on but it just makes me hesitate to go for a product that's reaching the end of its cycle.

What say ye MR's? Am I just super vain? How are you guys liking your iPhone 5s'?

Loving my 5s, but if scratches bother you, you may want to wait for the 6. We're due a material change and the aluminium scratches easily.

If you look at the 5s and are sure you wouldn't want a larger screen, buy now. It is likely that the 4 inch screen won't be an option when the 6 comes along, and the available storage capacity of 5S's will be cut at that time to 16GB max, maybe 8GB.

hungx

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
Loving my 5s, but if scratches bother you, you may want to wait for the 6. We're due a material change and the aluminium scratches easily.

If you look at the 5s and are sure you wouldn't want a larger screen, buy now. It is likely that the 4 inch screen won't be an option when the 6 comes along, and the available storage capacity of 5S's will be cut at that time to 16GB max, maybe 8GB.

I'm sure the new iPhone 6 is also made out of aluminum, so the iPhone 6 scratches just as easily as the 5s.

If you want to buy an iPhone, I would suggest buying one secondhand on Craigslist or eBay. That way, you can get it cheaper than retail and not lose a lot if you decide to sell it and upgrade to the iPhone 6.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
WWDC is only a two weeks away - wait until then to see what Apple may or may not do.

Don't they only give that info a month out from release which is usually end of September?

----------

Appreciate the replies.

I have an iPad that I use a lot but my phone is....hope you're sitting down....an old Nokia phone. It's not a smartphone and has an actual keypad with a tiny screen...yes I'm a dinosaur.

That's why I'm thinking if I should wait for the next big thing since I'm finally making the jump, I've made it this far with an old phone and waiting a few more months wouldn't really matter much to me.....the argument against that is it won't matter if I get the 5, 5S, or the 6 because because almost any smartphone I get will be such a huge leap forward in terms of quality and convenience.

One point I kinda liked in another thread was just staying with the S cycle of phones. It's the more updated and faster version of the previous(same number) model. Of course that argument is two-sided.

I would just get it and sell in October, you will have over 4 months use and you will get 2/3rds back. If they go bigger their will be plenty of people still wanting the smaller 5S, i live with one:)

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Appreciate the replies.

That argument about the S models is lousy. Each year, the new iPhone is better than the preceding model. So the 5 was better than the 4S...

hungx

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
That argument about the S models is lousy. Each year, the new iPhone is better than the preceding model. So the 5 was better than the 4S...

The arguments is intended for people that tend to upgrade every other year. Most people would rather have the 4s, 5s, 6s, ... rather than 4, 5, 6.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
The arguments is intended for people that tend to upgrade every other year. Most people would rather have the 4s, 5s, 6s, ... rather than 4, 5, 6.

It is still meaningless. If you upgrade every other year, depending on your upgrade cycle, you could land on an S model or a non-S model. Either way the iPhone would be two models above the one you currently have. The S models become obsolete looks-wise within 12 months, yet the non-S models stay current looks-wise for 24 months. I would rather be stuck with an 18 month old phone which at least looks like the current model...

The 5 is a better phone than the 4S. The 6 will be a better phone than the 5S. Where exactly is the logic in saying that S models are better than non-S models? Imagine buying a new iPhone every 12 months. Would you feel that the S models were best? The latest model iPhone is the best one, period.

Last edited:

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
I would wait until you can see the interface and the design of the 6. Once you see what it is like, then you can decide. I have the 4, and I'm cool with it for now. I'll have an upgrade available in a little less than a year, and I'll just get whatever is the newest at that point.

The times, they are a changin'.

Either accept, or find yourself in a constant struggle.

hungx

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
It is still meaningless. If you upgrade every other year, depending on your upgrade cycle, you could land on an S model or a non-S model. Either way the iPhone would be two models above the one you currently have. The S models become obsolete looks-wise within 12 months, yet the non-S models stay current looks-wise for 24 months. I would rather be stuck with an 18 month old phone which at least looks like the current model...

The 5 is a better phone than the 4S. The 6 will be a better phone than the 5S. Where exactly is the logic in saying that S models are better than non-S models? Imagine buying a new iPhone every 12 months. Would you feel that the S models were best? The latest model iPhone is the best one, period.

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer performance over looks and would rather have the 5s over the 5. Since Apple has generally stuck to the 1-year release date for the iPhone, if you purchase one on launch day, you should be able to get the next iteration next year or even the year after that.

The s models have the best specs in the same form factor. The 5s is the best out of the current aluminum form factor when compared to the 5. The 4s is better than the 4. Usually Apple fixes any hardware issues in the s iterations. The 4s fixed the antenna issues and the 5s fixed the scuff gate issue for the black models.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Maybe it's just me, but I prefer performance over looks and would rather have the 5s over the 5. Since Apple has generally stuck to the 1-year release date for the iPhone, if you purchase one on launch day, you should be able to get the next iteration next year or even the year after that.

The s models have the best specs in the same form factor. The 5s is the best out of the current aluminum form factor when compared to the 5. The 4s is better than the 4. Usually Apple fixes any hardware issues in the s iterations. The 4s fixed the antenna issues and the 5s fixed the scuff gate issue for the black models.

The 5S didn't fix the loose buttons or the chronic lack of RAM...
Really though, I can't understand this fixation with the S models. They are an improvement on the year before, but nothing major. The following non-S model is a bigger improvement, and regardless; whichever model is currently out, that is the best iPhone. Of course I would rather have the 5S than the i5, but at the time of purchase the 5S wasn't released. Come the iPhone 6, and I would rather have that than the 5S.

hungx

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
The iPhone had loose buttons since the iPhone 4. Like I said, the s models have the best specs in the same form factor and fixes any issues in the previous generation. Some people don't want to deal with the issues introduced with a non-s model.

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
The iPhone had loose buttons since the iPhone 4. Like I said, the s models have the best specs in the same form factor and fixes any issues in the previous generation. Some people don't want to deal with the issues introduced with a non-s model.

With my 4S, I understand now why I have certain issues. I bought mine when the i5 was released, and I kinda wish I had purchased the 4s or the i5. But the AT&T store tricked me with the 99 cent iphone 4 with my upgrade. It was either that or $99. Evil trickery it was. I regret, but it is what it is. Nothing I can do now but wait for my next upgrade.

AmericanNinja

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2013
I've been thinking about upgrading to the 5S. I currently have the 5. I dont know if I should wait for the 6 or not. :confused:

Nandifix

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
Im going to wait at least until WWDC and then decide if I can wait or not for the new iPhone. If not I will get a 5S

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple

If you can then wait. If you are in urgent need than go and buy one. Same with computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.