Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
Original poster
May 2, 2005
So, after a horrible HORRIBLE foible today, I was wondering if anyone ever makes a mistake so obvious you feel like you just wanna curl up in a ball and not come out for 10 years.

As people who read the Marketplace may know, I wanted to sell my router because it didn't work and I couldn't get it to work.

So, before I went back to the Genius Bar, I decided to check the settings one more time... I plugged it into my PowerBook (I'm DONE setting stuff up on windows) and I went to 192.168.blablabla.yadayadayada and I look at my username...
my router didn't work for a week because...
OF A TYPO.
(On the windows monitor, I SWEAR "sbcglobal.net" and sbcglbbal.net" LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME)
So, ten minutes of screaming "I'M SUCH A MORON!" later, I plug everything back in and it's hunky dory.
:eek:
Anyone else make horrible, HORRIBLE, stupid mistakes like this (and wanna share)?
I need to know people make idiotic mistakes like this, too. I just need to know! I don't wanna be alone in this!

Sogo

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2004
Yea, I have actually felt really stupid this past week. Every thing i am doing is nothing more than review, and yet i cant do the damn problems. I then go to my friends, only to figure out that either A) i cant use a calculator or B) i made some really random mistake like changing my 3 into a 5; I have bad handwritting... *bonks self on head*

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Katie, Katie, Katie, when you can match my goofs, then we'll talk!

I dismantled a dryer, replaced the thermostat, the heating element, the timer and THEN called the repair man after a week's work, only to find that the circuit breaker had blown and I was only getting 110 instead of 220.

One of many, but who is counting?

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
Original poster
May 2, 2005
MacDawg said:
Katie, Katie, Katie, when you can match my goofs, then we'll talk!

I dismantled a dryer, replaced the thermostat, the heating element, the timer and THEN called the repair man after a week's work, only to find that the circuit breaker had blown and I was only getting 110 instead of 220.

One of many, but who is counting?

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Ah, but you didn't go to the genius bar and waste a half hour of their time and 2 hours of yours (waiting for the genius bar) only to say "ZOMG! B does not equal O"

I'm so glad someone else does dumb things like this. I felt SO alone.
Even my windows-usin' momma was makin' fun of me! :eek:

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....yes...I will not go into specifics as it has happened many times at work. When it happens it is almost always because I am tired and have been "looking too hard" and missing the easy things like a typo.....oh yeah!

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
We just moved into a house that a friend bought and we had hot water the first day but not the day after. I checked the heater and the pilot was lit. I called my friend and said that there must be something wrong with it. He assured me that it was working and the guy that had done the inspection certified it.

I went back to check around for other settings. None found. After a while I call him back and am telling him we need to get someone out here to look at it. That's when I notice that the knob is set to Pilot and not On.

A quick turn of the knob and the heater roars to life. I felt like such an idiot.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
katie ta achoo said:
Ah, but you didn't go to the genius bar and waste a half hour of their time and 2 hours of yours (waiting for the genius bar) only to say "ZOMG! B does not equal O"

I'm so glad someone else does dumb things like this. I felt SO alone.
Even my windows-usin' momma was makin' fun of me! :eek:

No, but I paid the Sears repair man for a house call to use his handy dandy tester to find my problem in 2 seconds.

Example #2

Our guest bathroom had a leaky faucet in the tub, so while trying to replace the washer, I broke the faucet's stem. In order to get to the stem, I had to go in from the wall behind the faucet. In order to replace the stem, I had to replace copper pipe (purchase pipe, cutter, flange tool, etc.). I had to remove the wall to get this done. Family had to move out of the house for a week.

Example #3
I sold my neighbor a classic car in excellent condition for a song because it would strand my wife occasionally by not starting. After my neighbor replaced the fuel filter which I had installed backwards, he sold it for a tidy profit.

Face it Katie, you are an amateur at this :eek:

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

floyde

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2005
Monterrey, México
I make typos all the time. It wouldn't be a big deal if I wasn't a software developer! :eek: Just imagine, I finished my billion-lines-of-code masterpiece just to realize that it doesn't work anymore... Hours go by, no answer... The problem: a typo of course, one measly line of code :(

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
floyde said:
I make typos all the time. It wouldn't be a big deal if I wasn't a software developer! :eek: Just imagine, I finished my billion-lines-of-code masterpiece just to realize that it doesn't work anymore... Hours go by, no answer... The problem: a typo of course, one measly line of code :(

Apparently you missed the spelling and grammar thread.

You shouldn't have to look for typos, because the computer should just understand what you meant and be forgiving. How rude for the computer to be so "in your face" as to not work when you are just trying to help it.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I do stupid things all the time... :( The most recent one on my mind... I tried connecting my brand new nano to my iMac (instead of my iBook) and it wouldn't show up at all. Before I even fiddled around some by myself, I searched on MR for about 10 mins before thinking maybe I should just disconnect and reconnect the physical bits and pieces. Works fine. :eek:

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
Original poster
May 2, 2005
MacDawg said:

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

OK, OK. I bow to you and your horrible "why-am-I-allowed-to-breathe" stupid mistakes. :p

I'm just glad mine was fixed for free! :p

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
katie ta achoo said:
OK, OK. I bow to you and your horrible "why-am-I-allowed-to-breathe" stupid mistakes. :p

I'm just glad mine was fixed for free! :p

Whew, I was afraid I was going to have to keep on confessing! :eek:

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
Original poster
May 2, 2005
MacDawg said:
Whew, I was afraid I was going to have to keep on confessing! :eek:

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

No, keep going! :p :p

One time, I couldn't print using airport.

sooooooooooooooo I go to the genius bar
"um. Look under rendezvous"
ARGH!

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
katie ta achoo said:
No, keep going! :p :p

One time, I couldn't print using airport.

sooooooooooooooo I go to the genius bar
"um. Look under rendezvous"
ARGH!

Has that cute guy at the Genius Bar caught on to you yet? ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
katie ta achoo said:
So, after a horrible HORRIBLE foible today, I was wondering if anyone ever makes a mistake so obvious you feel like you just wanna curl up in a ball and not come out for 10 years.

As people who read the Marketplace may know, I wanted to sell my router because it didn't work and I couldn't get it to work.

So, before I went back to the Genius Bar, I decided to check the settings one more time... I plugged it into my PowerBook (I'm DONE setting stuff up on windows) and I went to 192.168.blablabla.yadayadayada and I look at my username...
my router didn't work for a week because...
OF A TYPO.
(On the windows monitor, I SWEAR "sbcglobal.net" and sbcglbbal.net" LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME)
So, ten minutes of screaming "I'M SUCH A MORON!" later, I plug everything back in and it's hunky dory.
:eek:
Anyone else make horrible, HORRIBLE, stupid mistakes like this (and wanna share)?
I need to know people make idiotic mistakes like this, too. I just need to know! I don't wanna be alone in this!

If that makes you feel dumb you have nothing to worry about. Try realizing while takeing your SAT you forgot to learn cursive in the 3rd grade. And hey you gave your self a chance to go to the apple store.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Hmm, when I first got my iPod, I couldn't work out how to disconnect it from the cable. It just seemed to be stuck. The first couple of times I had to twist and wiggle the cable to force it off, and I was cursing Apple for such bad design.

Then, I took a closer look at the connector on the cable and saw the two little hooks that move in and out when you press the two tabs on the side.

It was a slap-forehead "doh!" moment.

I'm surprised the cable still works.

strydr

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2005
SoCal
I was working on a project for a school district(PC for collecting Year Book pictures) and needed to test a (hand wired) firewire port.. What's the first thing firewire powered I think to try for a test?? My iPod of course.. Needless to say, I blew out my iPod.. Even stupider (is that even a word), I thought, when the 'pod didn't show up on my PowerBook, something must be wrong with OSX. Thinking I screwed up my OS, I reload- cause I got a backup of all my "important" stuff on the iPod, right?? Stupid me, the powerbook was fine, the iPod's firewire interface was dead. All my data gone (well, actually I'm a freak about my data, so I got a few more backups elsewhere). Apple replaced the iPod for free, I got a fresh new OS, and all my data back (after many hours of restoring from tape)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
katie ta achoo said:
Here's historical proof that people made mistakes way back in the ancient era of 2002.

Another dumb mistake: I was a newbie at the time of that thread, and I didn't learn to STAY AWAY from these forums! :eek:

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
MacDawg said:

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

On several occasions, I was driving home and about to pull up onto my driveway, and instead of pressing on the car brakes, stopping, putting my car into "PARK (P)", and then turning off the ignition, I pressed on the break, turned off the ignition, stopped, and then put my car into PARK.

I have thrown up on my professor before.

I don't think you can win in a "stupid" contest with someone that's actually stupid. ;)

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
strydr said:
I was working on a project for a school district(PC for collecting Year Book pictures) and needed to test a (hand wired) firewire port.. What's the first thing firewire powered I think to try for a test?? My iPod of course.. Needless to say, I blew out my iPod.. Even stupider (is that even a word), I thought, when the 'pod didn't show up on my PowerBook, something must be wrong with OSX. Thinking I screwed up my OS, I reload- cause I got a backup of all my "important" stuff on the iPod, right?? Stupid me, the powerbook was fine, the iPod's firewire interface was dead. All my data gone (well, actually I'm a freak about my data, so I got a few more backups elsewhere). Apple replaced the iPod for free, I got a fresh new OS, and all my data back (after many hours of restoring from tape)

Nice one

Gotta give you your props for that
bowdown.gif

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
The other day I spent at least 30 minutes running about looking for my car keys. I looked in all my pockets, kitchen, living room, anywhere I thought I might have left them on my way in but I just couldn't find them anywhere!

They were in the ignition :eek: :( :rolleyes:

And that's the tip of the iceberg.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I have done numerous incredibly stupid things. Most of them have been listed in this thread. All a part of growing. When we are no long making mistakes and learning, we won't be here to post any longer. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.