Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
tekmoe said:
gotta have tap. hate using the button unless i need to drag and move things.
Its possible to use the trackpad (or whatever its called) to drag-and-drop, just tap once and then tap again, but keep your finger on the pad. I think its either "let-go" or tap again to release I dont have a laptop, but I know this simpy from experience on my Dads laptop.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
What a great question!

I'm a natural-born tapper. I was a tapper before I switched to Mac and just setting up my laptops was so frustrating tap - nothing - tap - still nothing - aah! CLICK! First thing I did was set the touchpad to tap. Hate using someone else's computer set to click, or the ones in the Apple store. Plus clicking is harder work!! And SLOW! :eek:

Don't know if the current touchpad is a bit over-sensitive or what, but I often get the item next to the one I'm aiming for. Never had that problem before.

el greenerino

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2003
Notice how many those who don't tap often don't because they 'hate it'?

Don't you see that tapping is much gentler and less conducive to stress then the nagging 'clunks' of the button? :)

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Ish said:
I'm a natural-born tapper. I was a tapper before I switched to Mac and just setting up my laptops was so frustrating tap - nothing - tap - still nothing - aah! CLICK! First thing I did was set the touchpad to tap. Hate using someone else's computer set to click, or the ones in the Apple store. Plus clicking is harder work!! And SLOW! :eek:

Here here! Tapping is the way forward, just like dancing backwards!

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
Noooo way. To me, one of the most annoying things about a laptop running XP is the fact that you can't turn tapping off because the XP drivers suck, just like the rest of the OS. No way would I turn it on for a Mac laptop, because I do too much maneuvering with the trackpad, causing it to register non-taps as taps.

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
dsharits said:
Noooo way. To me, one of the most annoying things about a laptop running XP is the fact that you can't turn tapping off because the XP drivers suck, just like the rest of the OS. No way would I turn it on for a Mac laptop, because I do too much maneuvering with the trackpad, causing it to register non-taps as taps.

umm the default drivers in XP maybe but you have to rememeber xp basic drivers are only there to get the computer up and running once there the user should install there own drivers. but that being said most PC laptop uses I know can turn it on and off.

As for tapping I can not stand not having it. I grown very used to using it and it never click when I didnt want to.

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
My macbook is my first apple laptop, I had a toshiba before and you just tap to double click. Not tapping is killing me! I finally turned it on and I feel relief.

Applespider

macrumors G4
I've had tapping turned on since this thread came to life... and I'm pretty ambivalent about it. I'd almost like extra preferences so that it's only on in certain apps perhaps.

It's been useful in some places but I seem to have a lot of inadvertent taps (as well as some that seem to require a few attempts when I'm trying to drag) which means that I've lost a few icons from my Dock accidentally and rearranged my Bookmark bar in Safari too inadvertently.

josepho

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
Surrey, England
I exclusively use "tapping", as the noise of the button really annoys me, plus it means my finger has to hardly move at all, rather than always up and tdown from trackpad to button...

I get really confused when I can't use it, for example, when I sign in as someone else and they haven't enabled it. Yuck.

Tel

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2005
England
I've tapped ever since I was a kid, I guess being brought up with laptops has helped but I can't remember a single time when I accidentally clicked something, I didn't even realize that people were having that problem. Just sounds like something my dad might do maybe!

For me, I usually keep my hands exactly as they are for typing except the thumb on my right hand is on the pad instead of the space bar, makes more sense as I don't have to move my hands at all.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Tel said:
For me, I usually keep my hands exactly as they are for typing except the thumb on my right hand is on the pad instead of the space bar, makes more sense as I don't have to move my hands at all.

And there's the difference. As Lau mentioned earlier in the thread, I tend to move my right hand off the keyboard unless I'm typing (when I tend to navigate by keyboard shortcuts) and use the trackpad with my index finger and click with my thumb. As a result, you get inadvertent taps when your finger brushes the trackpad.

I may try the 'tap with the thumb' method but while I can see it working well for clicks, I'm not so sure (without trying) how well 'steering' with the thumb will go.

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
I love tapping, but I end up using both methods (tap and button) about equally. I tend to use the button most when I'm using my fingers to scroll, and tap when I'm typing.

Do people really think the button is loud? :confused: I've used many a wintel laptop and mouse that the clicking drove me mad, but the apple notebook button is pretty quiet IMHO.

I've also found that I make many less accidental taps (bumping the trackpad with the heel of my hand while I type) since I adjusted the sensitivity on the trackpad. If this is the only thing that's keeping you from tapping, I'd experiment a little.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Applespider said:
I may try the 'tap with the thumb' method but while I can see it working well for clicks, I'm not so sure (without trying) how well 'steering' with the thumb will go.

Same here - also it'd be quite difficult to two-finger scroll that way too.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
When my iBook was functional I'd turn on tapping when I needed quiet...in libraries, when roommate was sleeping etc, because the button was really loud in comparison to the computer itself, but now that I have my PB, clicking on the left or right side of the button is virtually silent. :)

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
I've always been a tapper. To me it's frustrating not having a laptop set to be able to tap. (I have to set up other people's laptops a lot at meetings and conferences.)

If I can't tap I would rather have a mouse. (I carry a spare retractable travel mini mouse just in case I need one.)

taytho

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2005
KC, MO
i love the tap.
i thought it was the one thing that my pc had going for it ..... and the only thing.

About a week in to owning my ibook i figured out how to utilize this feature and my pc was officially and in every possible way dominated by my mac. Oh how i loathe you pc.

brepublican

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
NY
This would make a nice poll, its looking almost like a 50-50.

I never tap. Its annoying and gets in the way of my typing. On the other hand, I'd love the feature of a 2 finger tap being a double click... I prolly would if my PB had this feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.