Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did you use the Applecare Protection Plan after purchasing it?

• Total voters

suwandy

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2006
Hmm,

this is my first time I am going to buy a Mac, which will be the C2D MBP. I'm weighing between buying the AC or not buying it. Can I please have an advice from people, who have been using Mac for a while now?

Whether first timers should buy the AC just because of the 3 years support, or the n00b's inexperience with the Mac could kill it?

Or don't buy it, since the n00b's aren't familiar or do not know the tricks with trying to talk your way out of things like if you accidentally "voided your warranty", or something like that.

Thanks

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
I sell it before 1 year elapse and upgrade to a new system.. recurring warranty! :cool:

Applecare pricing is typically 25% of the system's cost.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
I purchase AppleCare on machines I can see myself using for more than a year. So far unfortunately I've needed to use it on ALL OF THEM except my PowerBook G4, and my new iMac.

I had an iBook G4 that needed the logic board replaced twice, the video once, and the burner twice. I gave the machine to my sister when I upgraded and the repairs listed have included her issues with it. That notebook is craptacular! :rolleyes:

I had a Power Mac G5 + 2 20" AL ACDs. When I bought the 2nd display I noticed the original monitor was very dull, something you couldn't compare without a 2nd monitor so AppleCare got me a replacement monitor. :)

My GFs iMac had AppleCare purchased with it. Within the original 1 year warranty period the HDD failed, but we used the AppleCare to get it replaced quickly.

Like I said my PowerBook was perfect and even though I sold it to a friend it still hasn't had any issues that required the use of the AppleCare, but rather safe than sorry as they say!

I bought a MacBook Pro recently and never got around to getting AppleCare for it (this machine shipped to me with a DOA HDD, and within a month had TFT issues - all fixed under normal warranty), I chucked it on eBay as soon as I heard about the iMac Core 2 Duo. The iMac (no issues yet) is a fantastic machine and I can see myself keeping it for quite a while so I'll purchase AppleCare for it sometime in the next 11 months.

So do I use AppleCare? YES. Do I wish I had to? NO. Would I not buy it, and just risk it? HELL NO!

Damn as I read this list of issues I have I think I might have to say Apple sure have some QA issues, or I'm just unlucky. Very very very unlucky.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Lap tops (iBook and PB). It has always been worth it!
I wore out 3 or 4 iBook keyboards, despite the fact that they were rated for millions of key cycles. I have had screens replaced and had numerous other things fixed including optical drives.

I don't buy a laptop, even if I have to, unless I can afford the extended warranty, have a good case, and can afford 1 spare battery and can max the RAM through a third party. This means that I rarely buy new computers.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I didn't vote in the poll, because I couldn't really pick an appropriate option. I have AppleCare on my iMac, but it's only 3 months old, and I've had no problems with it. That doesn't mean there won't be any in the next 2.75 years though.

My PowerBook doesn't have AppleCare, but it might have been nice. The cloth around the optical drive came off, and Apple said it'd be about $300 to fix. I ended up fixing it myself, but it's sort of a makeshift fix, not something that's very professional.

No AppleCare on the Power Mac G5 either, and at 1.5 years old it's had no problems whatsoever.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Ultimately it depends on how long you intend to keep your computer, if you aren't planning to sell it then it is best to just get AC. Bear in mind that nobody in this world apart from Apple can fix an Apple branded computer, and with that in mind the decision becomes much easier.

nightelf

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2003
Never bought AppleCare before. I do plan to get it for 2 iMacs.

I only had one HD problem with an old iMac G4, but dont remember if it was within the first 3 years.

I do not live in the US, so ill have to check if the coverage is the same.

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
I had apple care on my 12 inch powerbook and it had to have its hard drive changed once (those are hard to do by yourself), case changed for pitting, and the audio jack changed because it was acting sketchy. My brother's iMac had a hard drive failure I believe and the lady's macbook has had to have a hard drive fixed, combo drive changed, something related to video changed, and now I have to go take it in because the isight isn't working. The only machine I couldn't see myself buying applecare with is a mac mini.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Bought it for my iMac. I want to know I'm covered for the next year or so I'll still have it, and it was only $120 edu. Haven't had to use it yet, but we'll see. If I buy the warranty, I don't usually have a problem. If I don't, then I have issues. Plus, if I pass it on to someone later on, it'd be nice for them to have it if they need it at first. I remember telling my Sister to get it for her Dual 867 G4 PowerMac that was flaky, but she didn't think about it, and a little over a year later it started having issues with the power supply and CPUs. She wound up buying parts of eBay to fix it because it was too expensive to go through Apple w/out AC.

Now they just upgrade every year, so it doesn't really matter I guess.

azzurri000

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2005
I purchased Applecare for my iPod last July, and I'm really glad that I did!

The hard drive kept clicking, until I got the sad iPod icon a couple of weeks ago. The hard drive was broken, so I sent it in, and I got it back this morning! The Apple repairs were fast... my only complaint was with the shipping service they used, DHL, on the return trip.

My iPod was replaced with either a new/used/refurb model, I'm not sure. It looks brand new, but the battery charge was low when I first turned it on.

I was really happy with how Apple sent me the shipping materials... all I had to do was either call UPS or drop it off at one of their stores. I found it all very easy. I'm very glad that I purchased the Applecare; I know that the cost of the repairs would have been about the same as buying a new iPod.

edit: I guess my post, being about an iPod, is probably irrelevant, but I'll leave it up anyway, as I was very happy (overall) with my Applecare experience.

Karpfish

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2006
I didny buy applecare for my 12" powerbook back in early '04, and i wish i had.After about a year and a half, my HD failed, the case started separating, etc. few hundred bucks in repairs, applecare would have been nice.i bought it for my macbook.

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
I haven't had to touch my applecare yet (though I'm still under the complimentary year). My PowerBook has never had a single problem. (unless you want to count the ac adapter being doa :rolleyes: )

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
I'll prolly will not be buying AppleCare with my MacBook. I expect Apple products to be made in good condition (or else why buy if it a defect is expected?). If not, and that problems arise within the first year, I'll buy the AppleCare for the next 2 years.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I think I will skip Applecare for my next purchase of MBP/MB or MP. All of my current Macs have Applecare which I have not used once. So, I am one of those lucky campers.

The way I purchase computers products has helped me avoid the "problem-prone" or "problem-riddled" ones at the time of purchase. This is not a fool-proof buying habit but it certainly helped me avoid the one which increase the chance of lemon products.

1. check on products' reliability and user comments on the web. (I understand there are vocal small group of people who have problems with units and complain loudly on the web forums; but, I can detect the pattern of the problem areas by looking at various comments)--> this help me avoid the products which shaky reliability (i.e.. current MB and 15" MBP)

2. buy Applecare (if I so decide) a few months before the standard 1 year warranty expires. I don't buy Applecare at the Apple Store because I pay sales tax. I buy from the web retailer tax free before the 1 year expiration. Usually, the ones need to be repaired will show their ugly "need repairs" heads in a first few months.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
generik said:
Ultimately it depends on how long you intend to keep your computer, if you aren't planning to sell it then it is best to just get AC. Bear in mind that nobody in this world apart from Apple can fix an Apple branded computer, and with that in mind the decision becomes much easier.

Well I fixed my own PowerBook, and it was a very involved repair (complete disassembly/reassembly). Also, Apple authorized service centers (and there are many) can fix Apple computers. Of course, I believe in that case Apple will pay for the repair if it's covered under AppleCare.

w8ing4intelmacs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2006
East Coast, US
i have bought applecare for a number of Macs, but have never used it. although i've had some warranty issues (hard drive failure, display problem, battery problem), there were either under the one-year warranty and/or under some special apple extended warranty program (e.g., a powerbook display), neither of which required applecare.

couple that with the fact that most credit cards will double the manufacturer's warranty, it seems that applecare isn't that necessary.

if you do buy applecare, buy on ebay. i got a powerbook applecare for $160 last winter.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I used applecare lots, mainly to get my rev A iMac G5 fixed. This was done after the normal 1 year warrently would have run out. Means i can now get a 20" iMac with 2 gb ram 256 vram wireless keyboard and mouse and applecare for £5 more than i paid for my 17".

Cost of applecare £120 (approx when i bought it)
3 x logic Board = 3 x £412 = £1236
1 PSU = £56
Labour = 4 x £65 = 260
Total Cost = £1552

To put this into perspective that £1552 could easily by the stock Mac Pro.

bryanc

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2003
Fredericton, NB Canada
I voted yes.

My first Mac was a TiBook, for which I did not buy Apple-care coverage. It worked flawlessly for 4 years, and then got dropped by some knuckle-dragger at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in San Francisco (they politely refereed me to their disclaimer about damage not being their problem), so Apple Care wouldn't have helped.

I've also got an iMac G5. I didn't buy Apple Care for this machine at the time of purchase, but it's power-supply failed just within the 1-year warrantee period (and was repaired by Apple at no charge), but that made me nervous. So I bought the Apple Care extended coverage, and within a month of the 1-year complementary coverage the power supply failed again. Then the main-board had to be replaced, and then the display. So Applecare paid for itself many times over on that machine.

After my TiBook got killed by the Hyatt Hooligans, I bought an AlBook as a replacement. I bought the AppleCare extended warrantee on it, and haven't used it. The machine is just approaching 2 years old now, and has shown no signs of problems, but I'm just as happy to have the coverage.

So its a gamble.... Ya win some, ya loose some...

Cheers

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I have it on my 12-inch Powerbook that is 18 months old.

I haven't had to use it yet (knock on wood). My luck it won't break until the warranty is over.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2005
I purchased it for my powerbook g4, my 1 yr warranty ended in september 06, so i just recently purchased it. I thought really hard about it, being a student at a university, i knew i was going to keep my pb for at-least another 3 years, so i just went ahead and purchased the app.. I'm not going to lie though, i live in Chicago and we have loads of apple stores, the closest one is 20 minutes away from me; that's one of my main reasons for buying the app is so i can go to the store and let them deal with shipping and getting it fixed. If i didn't have a apple store close by, i would've got my pb from Bestbuy, because i've had some great success with their warranties as well.

I think at the end of the day, if you have a notebook, it would be very smart to buy app; if you have a desktop, it's more of a tossup imo since everything isn't crammed into a tiny space.

I've had my pb for a year, and nothing ever went wrong, but i did not want to take the chance so i purchased it. If i never knew macrumors existed, i would for sure purchase applecare to just get the phone support! Much love to macrumors, lol, even though i have app, i'd rather post my problem on macrumors than call apple!

:eek:

Dubba

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2006
Nairobi, Kenya
I do indeed use Apple Care.

In fact, my Apple Care was 'moved' from the US to the UK in 2005 with no problems.

Unfortunately, my 12" PowerBook has had logic board problems twice, and now the Combo Drive doesn't work.

After calling Apple Care on Tuesday, they have agreed to send me a NEW 15" MacBook Pro as a replacement for my 12". However, I REALLY want the 17", and offerred to pay the difference in value. I was informed that although they do this in the US, it is not an option in the UK.

All said and done, I am glad that I had AppleCare, and will definitely take it out on my new Macbook Pro - however, I will just buy it in the US where it costs almost 50% of what it costs here.

Yannick

macrumors member
I bought AppleCare at the time I bought my PowerBook (for it to cover also accessories I bought the same day, like Airport Express).

I didn't use it yet.

In my mind, it is safer to have it with laptops, and I would advise it to anybody who plans to sell his computer after 1 or 2 years of use (which is my case).

Sijmen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
I bought AppleCare for my PowerBook 12" three days before the 1-year warranty ended.

I've had an annoying problem in the first year, the bottom case had to be replaced but the AASP and Apple couldn't work out the deal. Take a look at my blog for the full story. Sumarry: all okay in the end.

A week or two before the 1-year warranty was over I started noticing backlight issues. To be sure I finally gave in and bought AppleCare.

Yesterday I went to an(other) AASP because the backlight problems were getting really bad (uneven lighting). Also there was a bright spot somewhere on the screen and my Mighty Mouse stopped scrolling down, and cleaning it as described on the support site didn't help anymore.

The guy told me that the backlight was being replaced under AppleCare. When he was looking at the screen he also noticed the bright spot on the LCD and opted to replace the screen, too. The Mighty Mouse was out of 1-year warranty, but he registered it as bundle with my PowerBook and now it's being replaced under AppleCare, too.

So, had a very bad and very good experience. But I'll hope I won't have to use it for my next machine.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Dubba said:
I do indeed use Apple Care.

In fact, my Apple Care was 'moved' from the US to the UK in 2005 with no problems.

Unfortunately, my 12" PowerBook has had logic board problems twice, and now the Combo Drive doesn't work.

After calling Apple Care on Tuesday, they have agreed to send me a NEW 15" MacBook Pro as a replacement for my 12". However, I REALLY want the 17", and offerred to pay the difference in value. I was informed that although they do this in the US, it is not an option in the UK.

All said and done, I am glad that I had AppleCare, and will definitely take it out on my new Macbook Pro - however, I will just buy it in the US where it costs almost 50% of what it costs here.

Just curious do you get a brand new replacement or one that is from their replacement stock? Also is the open of buying Applecare for the replacement MBP open to you, or will its warranty expire at the end of your original warranty coverage?

Either way it is an insanely good deal :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.