Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I'm not an Apple hater, really.
I love Apple and would sell my soul to Steve Jobs for a nickel.

What I'm doing is typing up a paper about why Apple is better than Microsoft.
I just got into Apple around the end of 2005 so I don't know too much about them before that.
Except for the iPods, I know most there is to know about those.
So could you guys give me some reasons, I'm running out of a lot.
You could also give some dumb stuff Bill Gates has said in the past, things Steve Jobs has said that came true, things Apple has pwnd Microsoft on, and things that Microsoft screwed up on, etc, etc.
I would also love it if you could give me some information on Apple's early days.

F.Y.I. DON'T START FLAMING ME IS YOU THINK MICROSOFT IS BETTER THAN APPLE AND DON'T POINT OUT ANY OF APPLE'S FLAWS, THAT'S NOT WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR!

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
F.Y.I. DON'T START FLAMING ME IS YOU THINK MICROSOFT IS BETTER THAN APPLE AND DON'T POINT OUT ANY OF APPLE'S FLAWS, THAT'S NOT WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR!

If you are not going to even consider any flaws or downsides then why not just write "Because I said so".

I guess the answer would be Steve Job's ability to generate hype.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Works right out of the box, as said above. Also, frequent updates to their operating systems. When they say they are going to fix things, they generally go ahead and there's a fix for them. They are the one electronics company that is doing well in this poor economy, there's something to say. iPhones and iPods get frequent support. Steve Jobs owns pixar, and they make some of the best animated movies (Toy Story anyone?). Steve Jobs helped to build OSX based on his work at NeXT. All their products work seamlessly with eachother (iLife, iPod, iPhone, mobileMe). They make the software and the hardware, so everything is more in tune with eachother. There's just a few, I am sure people can come up with a bigger list then me.

Edit: The OP is not trying to say that Apple is flawless, but with propaganda, you just can't list the bad stuff of the supported subject.

Sideonecincy

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2003
If there is a questions section after the speech, be prepared to go to war against another computer geek.

- Lack of viruses/spyware
- Private browsing
- Final cut pro
- Apple has heavy control over their hardware so when designing software, they are able to design with a smaller scope of what is supported. They do not run into driver problems like Windows does.
- Out of the package applications that come with computers, with no extra cost. The programs are not useless games or stupid stuff either.
- Excellent customer support and customer support is not outsourced.
- Their retail stores are one of a kind

Here is a quote from Bill Gates:
" So now I think I am going to have Moviemaker. I go to my add/remove programs place to make sure it is there.

It is not there.

What is there? The following garbage is there. Microsoft Autoupdate Exclusive test package, Microsoft Autoupdate Reboot test package, Microsoft Autoupdate testpackage1. Microsoft AUtoupdate testpackage2, Microsoft Autoupdate Test package3.

Someone decided to trash the one part of Windows that was usable? The file system is no longer usable. The registry is not usable. This program listing was one sane place but now it is all crapped up.

But that is just the start of the crap. Later I have listed things like Windows XP Hotfix see Q329048 for more information. What is Q329048? Why are these series of patches listed here? Some of the patches just things like Q810655 instead of saying see Q329048 for more information.

What an absolute mess."

-- bill gates

Trajectory

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2005
Earth
I presumed you used PCs before 2005? If so, wouldn't you have all the info you need to make the comparison yourself based on your own experience?

I made the switch about 10 years ago, so, I had a lot of PC experience before Macs. What I like about Macs vs. PCs:

- Easier to setup and use.
- Doesn't crash nearly as often and doesn't require rebooting nearly every day.
- The Mac OS interface is superior.
- No need to install drivers every time you add a new device. When you buy a new device for your computer, like a router, look at the manual. Notice how much longer the instructions are to set it up in Windows, plus you have to insert a CD and install drivers as well. On a Mac, you just plug it into the computer and it works.
- Very good customer service (usually).

I'm not saying the Mac and OSX don't have their own quirks or problems, but, in general I've found Apple's products much better and easier to use.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I presumed you used PCs before 2005? If so, wouldn't you have all the info you need to make the comparison yourself based on your own experience?

Actually, 2005 was when I got my first iPod, not Mac.
I am still running on a PC. DX
Yet, I despise Microsoft.
I may be sounding like a hypocrite but this is because I don't have the money for a MacBook yet.
My computer set up is also kinda weird, I have a really nice Windows XP desktop an Apple Cinema Display, Apple Keyboard, and an Apple Mighty mouse.
That's how much of a die-hard Apple/mac fan I am, I am in love with them before I even have a Mac.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
My opinion is if you need any more information than what is already widely published here and on the rest of the internet, then perhaps you should just stick with what you know.

Apple isn't better than Microsoft, just different. As said, Apple works out of the box, however, so do numerous PCs. The difference is the time you can never get back that you are required to invest in fixing your PCs to make them run smoothly.

kabunaru

Jan 28, 2008
Mac OS X= Greatest operating system that exists in this universe except some alien OS technology. ;)

Windows: Nice attempt at a good operating system. Should be dumped from the face of this planet.

That's all I have to say.
Don't know too much about the early days of Apple. I was out of this world. ;)

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
As far as the companies are concerned (What your question literally means)....... Apple is far worse than Microsoft! Apple has a very strict environment, policies prevent social networking, tough goals and time limit, small office and crumped work space, a nerd of a boss!

As far as the products offered by the companies are concerned..... look above and below!

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
As far as the companies are concerned (What your question literally means)....... Apple is far worse than Microsoft! Apple has a very strict environment, policies prevent social networking, tough goals and time limit, small office and crumped work space, a nerd of a boss!

As far as the products offered by the companies are concerned..... look above and below!

Ya, that's more of like what I'm trying to find.
And owner wise wise.
Bill Gates is so dumb...
... he once said that iPhone would never take off, look at it now.
He has even said that he couldn't ever see the iPod becoming a popular thing, he said it's just a phase.
Well he ended up being wrong, he said that about the iPods over 4 years ago.
Look at them now, everyone has them.
And now people refer to mp3's as iPods.
Instead of an article saying "Mp3 players can make you deaf," it is more likely to say "iPods can make you deaf."
Bill Gates has tried to take down the iPod with the Zune on numerous occasions.

Steve Jobs on the other hand is so much better.
He is amazing with words and always straight to the point.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Define "better" and you'll get "better" answers, and also write a better paper.

I'm not saying it's completely better.
I just don't want people coming here and scolding me for this.
And I don't want them saying stuff like "I hate Apple, Microsoft FTW."
I know that we're on a site full of Apple lovers but there are still people like that.

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
And owner wise wise.
Bill Gates is so dumb...
He has even said that he couldn't ever see the iPod becoming a popular thing, he said it's just a phase.
Instead of an article saying "Mp3 players can make you deaf," it is more likely to say "iPods can make you deaf."

LOL! That was Steve Ballmer, my friend ;) Bill Gates was much more intelligent and efficient.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
And owner wise wise.
Bill Gates is so dumb...

Well when ever and if ever Gates said that, it would be due to COMPANY PRESSURE! Bill knows whats the future and whats not...... he has a perfectly good idea of whats hot and whats not! Its just that while he was a full time employee at Msft.... he was in bounds not to say anything against it to lower its image! And saying anything for Apple' (which he has done countless times) iPhone would indirectly mean lowering faith in Win Mobile!

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Well when ever and if ever Gates said that, it would be due to COMPANY PRESSURE! Bill knows whats the future and whats not...... he has a perfectly good idea of whats hot and whats not! Its just that while he was a full time employee at Msft.... he was in bounds not to say anything against it to lower its image! And saying anything for Apple' (which he has done countless times) iPhone would indirectly mean lowering faith in Win Mobile!

Yes, but just because he can't saying anything for Apple products doesn't mean he has to say anything against them.

[EDIT]And if Bill Gates can't say anything good about Apple products, how come I found this:
billgates-ipod.jpg
[/EDIT]

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I'm not saying it's completely better.
I just don't want people coming here and scolding me for this.
And I don't want them saying stuff like "I hate Apple, Microsoft FTW."
I know that we're on a site full of Apple lovers but there are still people like that.

No, I'm suggesting that you define what you mean by "better." A better run company? Better products? Better advertising? A better dressed CEO?

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2007
New York City
And owner wise wise.
Bill Gates is so dumb...

Are you sure you're not thinking of steve Ballmer??? Gates is not dumb, I mean the guy is an uber billionaire and he actually used to code back in the day. A lot of what apple is can be attributed to Gates. Jobs is the quintessential businessman, his flare is what made the company hot. Ballmer... well that guy is just a nob head...;)

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Are you sure you're not thinking of steve Ballmer??? Gates is not dumb, I mean the guy is an uber billionaire and he actually used to code back in the day. A lot of what apple is can be attributed to Gates. Jobs is the quintessential businessman, his flare is what made the company hot. Ballmer... well that guy is just a nob head...;)

Well... he's not stupid, just needs to watch what he says about Apple's future.
Here's a quote from him:

"I don't think the success of the iPod can continue in the long term, however good Apple may be. I think you can draw parallels here with the computer — here, too, Apple was once extremely strong with its Macintosh and graphic user interface, like with the iPod today, and then lost its position ." - Bill Gates

And here is the link to an article with that quote:
http://www.tuaw.com/2005/05/12/bill-gates-ipod-just-a-passing-fad/

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
The big question is is this paper going to be researched fiction or researched fact? Because if you're going for the former, many of the answers above will do you fine.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
The big question is is this paper going to be researched fiction or researched fact? Because if you're going for the former, many of the answers above will do you fine.

Umm... researched on fact.
I normally wouldn't ask for help, but this has to be 5 minute long.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
It depends on how you want to approach this: a dissertation of the impact of vastly superior marketing, brand positioning as well as truly understanding their core customer base might be a good "in".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.