Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to understand by everyone here how is the experience of word and excel on an iPad ? is editing in iPad using word and excel a smooth process or what? Last what I had read here was people were saying that word lags too much on an iPad so how's the entire experience of using a full fledged Word and Excel document in the iPad. Does it come with same ease and comfort as on a PC?

Thares

Cancelled
Feb 25, 2011
I dont have problems with lags on my iPad Air 2. But a lack of functions and comfortable use is the problem. Sometimes I try to continue my master thesis on the ipad but I usually give up after a while.

Reactions: baypharm

bmclaurin

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I don't use word too much. As for Excel, it is pretty good on an iPP due to its larger screen and more RAM. Spreadsheets appear pretty much the same as they do on a laptop. Recalculation is reasonably quick. As for editing, it's just OK. An external keyboard helps quite a bit. But without a mouse, for me, it's not nearly as comfortable. It's workable bit not an outstanding implementation. When I'm on the go and need to access a spreadsheet, even a large one, it is nice to have the ability to do it, and it works acceptably for that purpose. But when I need to do serious editing or spreadsheet creation, I'm reaching for a full fledged laptop whenever possible. Hope that helps.

Reactions: baypharm

Robnsn2015

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2015
I've been using Excel on an iPad Pro quite a bit the past couple of days. The experience is different due to the touch-first interface, but Excel is fully functional.

I've also used Word on the iPad Pro. Similar experience.

Reactions: ViperDesign

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
I've been using Excel on an iPad Pro quite a bit the past couple of days. The experience is different due to the touch-first interface, but Excel is fully functional.

I've also used Word on the iPad Pro. Similar experience.

Agreed Microsoft announced officially last year that an official launch of MS-Office is now absolves for iOS so I have installed word and excel on my iPad where I can only view documents and spread sheets, but if I wanna edit it. What is the procedure? how can I enable the editing option in word and excel.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You need to have an Office 365 subscription to edit your documents.

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
if you want to answer your question, go ahead and download the software (its free) and try it out.

Personally, even though i use Excel and Word in work, i switched to Pages and Numbers on my Pro - found them natively much more better apps, easier and more intuitive to use, and, even with pretty large Excel sheets, hardly any issues between loading back and forth between MS and Apple apps. Just the odd formatting or font issue here and there. Nothing to kill yourself over.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Should charge for editing on any device to be fair.

Got to make money to keep developing ... And I want iPad excel to be better !

Do they let you buy it outright?
No interest in subscriptions is my thing.

I don't need endless updates...it's Word/Excel (that I would use)...not Earth shattering, constantly changing type of stuff.

Robnsn2015

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2015
To be fair, you get 1 terabyte of OneDrive storage plus a copy of Office 365 on Mac for your subscription price. It seems like a good deal at less than $60/year through Amazon. Definitely cheaper than a terabyte of Dropbox.

Fozziebear71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Yes, there is an annual subscription option. Less than $60 for an annual subscription through Amazon.com.

That's what I thought. I activated the free month of access that you can get to see how well Excel and Word performs. If I am satisfied with it the annual subscription fee seems reasonable.

Reactions: Robnsn2015
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.