Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your iPhone 5 screen click down

• Rock Solid

Votes: 184 65.2%
  • Top Right corner

Votes: 28 9.9%
  • Top Left corner

Votes: 25 8.9%
  • Bottom Right corner

Votes: 24 8.5%
  • Bottom Left corner

Votes: 35 12.4%

• Total voters

apptel

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2012
Mine is doing the exact same thing, center and lower left corner. Any luck with the heating or another "homefix"? Hate to send my phone away again (last time it was for a loose screen), and use my reaaaaalllyy old sony ericsson for a week again...

Batchy123

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
My phone clicks in both corners near the home button. I ordered my IP5 on the website £699 version. I called the Trafford centre store (Manchester) and they said I could not swap the phone in a store I'd have to go back to the online store and send it back to them. Us this true?

Alternatively I can take it too a Genius Bar but she said its 2-3 weeks wait. Only got the phone yesterday after waiting 6 weeks and paying them £699. Quite frankly for that money I don't expect the phone to click in both corners.

Any advice will help?

cfcboy

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Mine would also click in the cold weather. took it to Genius Bar and to my annoyance it only did it once whilst in the store. Genius said this should'nt be happening and within 5 minutes I was walking out the store with a replcement.

Id advise anyone with this problem to take it to the Apple store for replacement :)

Batchy123

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
Mine would also click in the cold weather. took it to Genius Bar and to my annoyance it only did it once whilst in the store. Genius said this should'nt be happening and within 5 minutes I was walking out the store with a replcement.

Id advise anyone with this problem to take it to the Apple store for replacement :)

Yeah but was it a recon or a brand new phone?

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
My room mates white ip5 clicks in the bottom left corner. He didn't even notice until I read this thread and checked it on his phone. He just shrugged it off lol.

That would bother me to no end.

hawkeyefan80

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
Lower left corner here

I noticed on the 2nd or 3rd day after getting my iPhone 5 that when pressing on the lower left corner of the screen it would "click" and clearly there was give to it. Checked out the display models at VZW and they were rock solid so I had them check out my phone. Of course none in stock so they're shipping one out (5 business days). The manager pressed the corner of mine and it made a good clicking noise so they had no problem doing the replacement. I just hope there still aren't any refurbished iPhone 5's out there yet!! :)

Fudgey Memory

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
My wife's too

And right away when I got it home. Guess I better get Apple Care for this phone.

I took it right back to Best Buy and they gave me another one that wasn't doing it.

UCF Sam

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Two days after release, I exchanged my original launch day iPhone because of this problem... The replacement just started doing this yesterday, top left corner.

stock28

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2012
Mine will click a tiny bit in both upper corners and there is a tiny bit of play. I am very OCD and at first was concerned it would get worse. After searching the web and seeing that the screen is not glued down but appears to be held down with clips, I'm not to worried any more about further problems with it. Also, since the touch sensor is now in the screen I doubt it would have any effect on that. I decided it wasn't worth trying to get it replaced when everything else is perfect and I have zero problems with anything including a pretty good battery life. Just affraid i may end up with more problems then it's worth to me. Just my thoughts and opinions.

hawkeyefan80

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
Got my replacement on Monday and its solid as a rock. I was OCD about it and I kept pushing on it because I knew it was an issue. It may not make any difference, but Verizon felt it bad enough that they were more than willing to replace it. I'm happier now knowing that the screen is solid!!

Heresiarch

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2012
Netherlands
After one month mine got the clicking sound issue too, on the lower right bottom and upper left. For the former after pushing thus clicking it and wait for a few minutes, it'll become "loose" again and then I could push and click once more. For the latter it's consistently making a popping sound if I pinch that corner and then releasse. From the outside the phone otherwise looks perfect, no sticking out of the glass for example, but it's weird nonetheless.

My home button on the otherhand has always been loose for about 3 weeks. The slightest pressure and then release it will make a click sound. And if I pull in the lighting adapter and slightly make it "push" the inside of the home button then the noise goes away. Apparently there's something loose in the home button. :(

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
Damn it. Mine is doing this crap now too. Out of nowhere, the middle and upper middle part of the screen pop/clicks. I didn't drop it, or anything like that.

its been doing it for a couple days now. I was kind of hoping it would go away on its own. Seems to be getting worse. Most are quiet pops. But then randomly it will be a loud pop that sounds like you cracked your knuckles.

So much for my joy in finally getting an iPhone that was problem free.

Every single iphone i've owned has had some kind of defect that needed replacing, except the very first.

GAH!

S

syd430

Another one here. Top right corner. In addition to a pop sound and obvious give when pushing in that area, you can see it slightly lifted when viewing from the side.

No plans to return at this stage as I'm almost certain the replacement with have some sort of worse problem.

Already on my third. And my thinking is that if it switches on and is functional then it's good enough. You can't expect anymore in terms of QC with apple.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I just picked up my iPhone 5 and felt this (top right)

It's not really making any noise.

If it gets any worse, I'll go to the Genius Bar

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
The top of my iPhone 5 does this, but you have to push on it. Who is going to push on their screen? Seeing how so many others have this, I'll pass it off as normal, as mine phone is fine. Rather not exchange it (again) and get a real problem.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Mine only does when I push kinda hard near the top. But it's definitely an air bubble, cuz I can more or less "squeeze" and flatten everything by rolling my fingers up. That takes care of it for a while.

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2011
My first iPhone 5 was clicking, so I took it to the Apple Store. They replaced it no questions asked. The only problem was I am pretty sure I got a refurbished iPhone because it now clicks way worse than my first one. Going back again tonight to get it replaced. Hope I get lucky and get a good one, but doubting that...

Sad when we try to live with obvious flaws because the fear that the new replacement from Apple could be worse. Amazing how things have changed.

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2011
Anyone know if I would have better luck getting a new iPhone versus a warranty replacement/refurbished at a Verizon service center or do they replace iPhones with the white refurbished boxes?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.