Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

does your mba lie flat

• yes

Votes: 112 64.0%
  • no

Votes: 42 24.0%
  • sort of

Votes: 21 12.0%

• Total voters

bjdraw

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2008
Tampa FL
Mine barly wobles, in fact I doubt I would've ever noticed if I didn't see this thread. The bottom left corner flexes if I push down on it, the other three corners are solid. I tested in a few places on a granite counter top to ensure it was flat.

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
THIS IS JUST NOT A MBA ISSUE.
I have personally seen this problem with my 12" Powerbook G4 -- absolutely drove me nuts. I also see this with my wife's 12" iBook G4. I think it has to do with the way Apple's outer casings heat up and basically warp.

It stinks real bad. I have even called Apple Care about the Powerbook, but didn't want to be without for too long. One remedy would be cutting a bit of rubber out and placing it on the existing rubber feet to make up for the space.

I can remember writing code in college and having to put a few papers underneath my Powerbook... ah, those were the days.

sosnow

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
so how did you flex it. that scares me also. did you lift it in the air and then tug or just push it against the desk? seems so wrong

I just held it in the air (no pun) and gently squeezed/flexed the corners. I started with almost no pressure and slowly worked up until no wobble.

Also, the MBA was open when doing this delicate procedure.

aiongiant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
I just held it in the air (no pun) and gently squeezed/flexed the corners. I started with almost no pressure and slowly worked up until no wobble.

omg i jsut tried this! HAHA
and it WORKED!!

still a very very veryyyy slight tilit on the left side where the wobble use to be
but so subtle it's nothing

thanks =)

duffyanneal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
ATL

I've had this issue on every one of my PBs/MBs. I have a tendency to pick up the machines by one corner which tends to cause a bit of stress and slight bow. I fix it by opening the display and giving it a little twist. It doesn't take much.

ddd269

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
Torrance, CA
mine wobbles too! Just barely. The front-left rubber foot does not sit flat on a desk!

or the back-right... :D

Mine's like that too. About 1/16 play or so. No big deal.

I love my MBA. My MBP is with my wife now. Feel a bit bad about it... NOT!

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Boy, this makes me nervous.

I have a $3,200 MBA in a box in my office. I will be pissed beyond words if I have this problem...

Apple needs to get their act together on the quality front...

aiongiant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
i don't think they can always avoid this?

but yea if i spend $3k on it i expect it to be perfect and bring me coffee in the mornings haha

instant hit

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2008
so i came in the office this morning and noticed the lower right lifts up a bit -- about a hairline. cured it by flexing it a little to the right to offset the imbalance.

i'm wondering if how it's tote around has an impact on the "flatness," so to speak.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Mine sits flat. If it didn't i'd probably just shim it with a fold of paper..

or there's always a few layers of duct tape...

nothing looks well-loved until it has a little dt on it.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Wow you obviously dont own a windows machine!

This is the freaking problem with Apple nowadays--their quality is simply terrible.

From bugs in the iPod OS, to Leopard being released months early, to heat issues, to dozens of issues with the displays, etc., etc., etc. Apple is simply a mess.

Lets see: Im envoius of several of my coworkers flawless macs because:

-I have an HP laptop, very nice looking but the keyboard is gouging the nice glossy screen.

-That nice little laptop is running vista, it can take up to 3 minuets sometimes to delete one item. VERY SMALL items usually such as notepad files.

-Vista chooses whether or not to detect your wireless network and when it does it takes FOREVER.

-Did I also mention everything on vista takes forever? EVERYTHING.

If you compare most windows machines to mac machines macs have an enourmously better build. Vista is causing alot of us windows people, myself included to switch.

I cant wait till April to buy my Mac :D

Terwal

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Video ?

Hi there... Waiting for my MB-R to be delivered but concerned about this wobbling issue... That would NOT be a good surprise... :(

Could anybody post a video of what type of wobbling we are talking about ?

As well, a video of the "flexing fix" mentioned about would be great ?

Thanks...

ddd269

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
Torrance, CA
Hi there... Waiting for my MB-R to be delivered but concerned about this wobbling issue... That would NOT be a good surprise... :(

Could anybody post a video of what type of wobbling we are talking about ?

As well, a video of the "flexing fix" mentioned about would be great ?

Thanks...

Don't worry. it's not even worth a minute of you time to think about.

Enjoy your MBA!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.