Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
I want to upgrade my 8 core 2.29 2009 mac pro to 2x x5650 6 core.
would it be easier to remove the lids on the new processors than worry about the the pads and washers?
thanks

This is impossible to do safely for a layperson. There is an electrical engineer in Iowa who will do it for you, or sell them already removed on ebay, but its not worth it. Way more work and chance of damaging expensive parts this way.

Just follow the instructions and take your time doing the proscribed method.

----------

thermal pad -

I think 10 centimetres is enough margin, but I would just buy the full sheets that are on ebay and cut to measure

Emen Mali

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2014
Chicago, Illinois
Did my upgrade last night from 2.26 (8) to 3.33 (12), only problem is CPU A Heatsink is not showing up and fans went crazy, currently using Mac Control Fans to bring them down some, will have to open it later today and see what I'm missing, but I have some screwed up the connector for the heatsink fan, hopefully I just need to adjust it.
I bit the bullet and upgraded video card (7950), airport (AC) and BT (4.0) seems like I'll get another 5 years out of this Mac!

derradius

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2010
Did my upgrade last night from 2.26 (8) to 3.33 (12), only problem is CPU A Heatsink is not showing up and fans went crazy, currently using Mac Control Fans to bring them down some, will have to open it later today and see what I'm missing, but I have some screwed up the connector for the heatsink fan, hopefully I just need to adjust it.

Did you succeed in bringing down CPU A Heatsink-fan? I am stuck in the same situation with crazy fanspeeds and BOOSTA fan greyed out in smcfancontrol, although I am able to decrease BOOSTA fanspeed with Macs Fancontrol.
CPUs run fine but the fannoise is not state of the art. I installed 2.35mm of washers on socket A & B and about 4.5mm thermalpad which might be a bit too much ??? ... In smcfancontrol all other fans are displayed correctly but BOOSTA is at fail although runnning ... , did a SMCReset already but the problem stays. I need a very good tip on how to proceed :rolleyes:

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Before our vacation I got in some 5690s and an old Dual Quad 2.26.

Wow was that thing slow !!! I had trouble with first try but the 3.5 turns then mini tightening did the trick. 2nd go round I got both CPUs showing up with all RAM. Considering doing more for local LA folks.

The CPU A issue has been reported before. It would be great if someone who fixes it would let everyone know what it was. A guy was posting on Netkas who had killed 4 of them same way. Don't think he ever gave outcome.

Please let us know. I busted the fan connector out then used tweezers to connect before setting heatsink down.

feins

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2010
Malaysia
Okies seems quite sometime now wasn't been back here. !! last few days one of the Northbridge plastic Rivet was snap by it self and cause my IOH T-diode Temp hit 128'C and cause the machine to freeze.

Ive manage to mod it by replacing the plastic Rivet pin and now i might damaged my Booster B sensor :( now Both Booster fan are at Max speed but i-stat report that Booster B 0RPM.

Since i've mod the EFI to 2010 could i just get a 2010 Processorboard and replace mine will it work with my 2009 Logic board which already Mod to 5.1?

Also does any Guru know if the old Heatsink fits on the new 2010 Processorboard!? :confused:

----------

I bit the bullet and upgraded video card (7950), airport (AC) and BT (4.0) seems like I'll get another 5 years out of this Mac!

Hi Emen,

Have u check did ur Heatsink connector sit probably. Cos i just kill my sensor while replacing my Chipset rivet as mine suddenly broken by itself after been using for so many yrs. As i come across that there is such issue that the chipset rivet will snap by it self and cause high temperature.

squibran

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2006
Winchester
Hi there
I did a successful upgrade of the 2009 Mac Pro and it was running fine for about a year.
I then moved offices and when I restarted it ran for about a minute then froze with the fan running up a bit.
Any ideas?
I have already taken out processors again with new thermal paste and reseated them. It seemed to help a bit but then it froze again
Any ideas? I know this is an old forum but hopefully someone is out there!!!

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
If the problem comes after you move it, may be something is loosed.

In this case, I will reseat all RAM, PCIe card and HDD first, and see if it helps.

If you suspect it's cooling related, just install MacFansControl, iStat, etc. can let you monitor the temperature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.