Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apesta

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
Why do people think the iPhone 5 is too similar to an iPhone 4/4s? Is taller, thiner, thinner and its back is aluminum. That is quite a lot of changes to a phone if you ask me. It seems to me that people are expecting way too much from Apple. They can't just totally change the design of the phone when the 4/4s is still one of the best looking phones on the market. I don't see why Apple should totally change the look or shape when it still sells. I've use my 5 for a week now and I haven't regret buying it. I use to own a 4 and it was still a awesome phone after two years. The 5 to me in every way is an upgrade to the 4. But i guess it is hard to please everyone...

newone757

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
The argument for 16x9 I cannot stand hearing about is video.. Watching a movie on my 4" phone has never even crossed my mind.. So the idea of making the iphone taller to eliminate black bars for movie night seems idiotic..

Do we all not have home theater rooms with 120"+ projectors?
.. am I missing something?

are you serious? Have you never watched a video of any kind on your phone? Doesn't have to be a movie. I recall people complaining because the youtube app was removed. I wonder why?

I do agree that watching movies on your phone is ridiculous. However, I'm not naive enough to believe that no video content is ever consumed on people's iPhone. I watch plenty of quick youtube videos on mine.

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
But it's....lol...built to fit your...lol....thuumbs. Haha, sorry Apple I couldn't push your idiotic propaganda with a straight face.

But seriously, return it. Get a phone you will like.

newone757

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
I need to know if I'm crazy or if others feel the same way. Even if nobody felt the same it wouldn't change my opinion. What's happened is it's nice to know others feel the same. Either we're all crazy or our opinions are valid.

This is the Internet, get used to it.

----------

You don't read threads do you? You and everyone else. We get it! Take it back! Read the thread and then comment. Otherwise, buzz off.

I'll help you out. You're crazy. Do you feel better now?

lmao buzz off...the guy who claims to be voicing his opinion is trying to silence mine. How ironic.

spiralynth

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
Threadstarter is a paid shill (likely for pennies per post by Korean chip plastic phone maker Samsung, or Chinese plastic phone maker HTC).

Claims to have owned several iPhones but he just happened to open an MR accounts just this month. Got nothing better to do than troll Apple forums far and wide. Pathetic.

Stop feeding them.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Threadstarter is a paid shill (likely for pennies per post by Korean chip plastic phone maker Samsung, or Chinese plastic phone maker HTC).

Claims to have owned several iPhones but he just happened to open an MR accounts just this month. Got nothing better to do than troll Apple forums far and wide. Pathetic.

Stop feeding them.

Not this month. Today. First and only thread.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
The iPhone 5 is an amazing piece of hardware married to an amazing piece of software living in an amazing ecosystem of related applications, devices, and computer systems. No one even comes close to providing the complete, integrated experience.

The iPhone 5 is faster, thinner, and lighter than any other iPhone before it. So it's taller and you can't get used to it? Return it. Keep the 4S. You have a choice.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
The iPhone 4S is smaller than the iPhone 5. Period.
Simply math proves you wrong. Fact.

It fits the hand much better because it's smaller in height.
Now that's a fact. I do not agree with your first statement though: personally, a phone that is TALLER (and that is not wider) is - for me - not more difficult to hold.

With the 5 the hand has to bend and stretch to reach the top of the screen and grip and manipulate controls like the power button.
For you. And thus not for everybody else in the world.

iPhone 4S is glossy back, 5 is not. 4S is smoother with a glossy finish. Fact.
Not a fact. I believe the iPhone 5 aluminium back is smoother than the iPhone 4S glass back: the aluminium back doesn't offer as much physical resistance (friction) as the glass back.

That's physics, though. Not simple mathematics.

This in my opinion the iPhone 5 has a smoother back. (But unlike you, I'm not claiming my personal opinion is a fact).

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Thanks.

To everyone else, there are things I like about the iPhone 5:

1. Better screen contrast.
2. Faster.
3. Good low light camera.

But honestly that's about it. Bad design because:

1. It's too tall and skinny.
2. The edges are sharp and unfriendly.

Think a bit before forming conclusions. Being too tall and skinny is describing the phones screen aspect ratio. 16:9

16:9 defines nearly every Android and windows phone. And every HD TV out there, along with newer PC screens and laptops .

And the S3 is 16:9. Every 4" Android has the exact same screen dimensions as the iPhone 5. I never heard those phones being described as too skinny or tall. Just that the iPhone 4 3.5 inch screen was too small. :)

I don't think you are complaining about the 16:9. Every programmer should appreciate the need to go to that aspect ratio.

You just want a wider phone. For that to happen the phone would also become taller too, in proportion.

So if you likes the width of the 4 and 4S, they maintained that dimension. Many like that. Going 16:9 doesn't make it odd, but makes it fit into the world standard if 16:9.

Why all the fuss? This ratio has been around for years. Not to go with it would put apple out of touch.

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
The iPhone 4S is smaller than the iPhone 5. Period. It fits the hand much better because it's smaller in height. With the 5 the hand has to bend and stretch to reach the top of the screen and grip and manipulate controls like the power button.

FWIW, I'm female and have short fingers and small hands and have absolutely no issue with reaching anything on the iPhone 5. In fact, unless I stop to think about its differences from the 4S, it feels essentially the same to me. It's really only when I hold them side by side that the differences leap out. It's not like they made the thing 3 feet long, FFS.

appleattack

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
Simply math proves you wrong. Fact.

Now that's a fact. I do not agree with your first statement though: personally, a phone that is TALLER (and that is not wider) is - for me - not more difficult to hold.

The iPhone 5 is larger than the iPhone 4S. This is indisputable.

iPhone 4S: 4.5" high
iPhone 5: 4.87" high

The iPhone is thus physically larger than the iPhone 4S. Anyone who denies this is a troll or completely delusional.

Not a fact. I believe the iPhone 5 aluminium back is smoother than the iPhone 4S glass back: the aluminium back doesn't offer as much physical resistance (friction) as the glass back. This in my opinion the iPhone 5 has a smoother back. (But unlike you, I'm not claiming my personal opinion is a fact).

The entire back of the iPhone 4S is a high gloss glass. The back of the iPhone 5 is made up of aluminum, a metal, that has been presumably anodized. The very top and bottom band of the iPhone 5 is akin to the iPhone 4S. The high gloss glass is smoother than the iPhone 5. The anodized aluminum is more rough because it's metal treated at high temperature with color. That means it doesn't have layered clear coats over top of it. On the other hand, glass is one of the sleekest surfaces in existence, and is used for things like a touchscreen where you move your fingers around and make multi-touch inputs.

I'm sorry but you're not making much sense.

PAC88

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2009
are you serious? Have you never watched a video of any kind on your phone? Doesn't have to be a movie. I recall people complaining because the youtube app was removed. I wonder why?

I do agree that watching movies on your phone is ridiculous. However, I'm not naive enough to believe that no video content is ever consumed on people's iPhone. I watch plenty of quick youtube videos on mine.

No, but I will once I shoot some videos on the ip5. I'm excited to use the device, it just takes me time adjusting to change.

I'm coming from a slow blackberry which might explain a lot.. I still like blackberry but need to give iphone a shot for a while to see how I like it..

newone757

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
No, but I will once I shoot some videos on the ip5. I'm excited to use the device, it just takes me time adjusting to change.

I'm coming from a slow blackberry which might explain a lot.. I still like blackberry but need to give iphone a shot for a while to see how I like it..

Actually. That does explain a lot. Enjoy man!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
All of the OP's talk about skinny teenagers is creepy.
Return the phone, clearly it sucks.

appleattack

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
FWIW, I'm female and have short fingers and small hands and have absolutely no issue with reaching anything on the iPhone 5. In fact, unless I stop to think about its differences from the 4S, it feels essentially the same to me. It's really only when I hold them side by side that the differences leap out. It's not like they made the thing 3 feet long, FFS.

The phone is taller. I want to see a video of you typing with your thumb in the Messages App, holding the phone with one hand, and then reaching the "Messages" tab on the very top left with the same thumb on the same one hand you're using to hold and type without readjusting your hand position and grip on the device. This can be done quite easily on the non-iPhone 5s.

I'll save you the trouble. You won't be able to do it easily and comfortably. This is just a usability issue of the taller phone. Of course there's benefits to the screen as well but this right now is a major issue for me until UIs update themselves to associate more controls toward the bottom.

newone757

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
With the 5 the hand has to bend and stretch to reach the top of the screen and grip and manipulate controls like the power button.

The Galaxy SIII is a great example of how a design can form itself around a large screen and be very ergonomically effective. It feels AMAZING in the hand. Yes, it's big, but it's incredible how nice it feels in the hand.

I just noticed you said this. How is the iphone 5 hard to reach to the top but the gsIII is oh so ergonomically effective? Quite the contradiction.

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
The phone is taller. I want to see a video of you typing with your thumb in the Messages App, holding the phone with one hand, and then reaching the "Messages" tab on the very top left with the same thumb on the same one hand you're using to hold and type without readjusting your hand position and grip on the device. This can be done quite easily on the non-iPhone 5s.

Just did it. Have done it countless times since I got my phone a week ago. Not going to bother to post a video because, frankly, some people don't want to be convinced that--omg--their opinion isn't the only valid one out there, so it's really not worth the effort. But I'm quite certain that I and my puny thumbs (the gloves I wear are from Gap Kids) are not the only ones capable of this amazing physical feat.

appleattack

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
I just noticed you said this. How is the iphone 5 hard to reach to the top but the gsIII is oh so ergonomically effective? Quite the contradiction.

No, it's not a contradiction. I never said ever that the buttons are easy to reach on the top of an SIII. What I said was the design on the SIII is more effective to me. For something so large it's very thin and contours to the hand incredibly well. It makes it easy to hold and it's easy to forget how big the screen is. The highly rounded top and bottom of the phone with little bezel is excellent.

It's not easy to use with one hand.

There is no contradiction.

----------

Just did it. Have done it countless times since I got my phone a week ago. Not going to bother to post a video because, frankly, some people don't want to be convinced that--omg--their opinion isn't the only valid one out there, so it's really not worth the effort. But I'm quite certain that I and my puny thumbs (the gloves I wear are from Gap Kids) are not the only ones capable of this amazing physical feat.

Post the video and demonstrate it.

----------

Last edited by a moderator:

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
Post the video and demonstrate it.

No. As I stated, it would be a waste of effort because clearly, there's no swaying your opinion, and those who agree with me and also have no issue using the phone with one hand will doubtlessly have no need to see video of me doing something they themselves do dozens of times per day. But really, it's all about each individual's personal experience. If it's uncomfortable for YOU to use, then don't use it. No need to make a big production out of it. Personally, it's absolutely fine and perfectly comfortable for me to use; I scarcely notice a difference in how I use it as compared to my 4S, so I will continue to use and love it.

Kung

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006

It can also be done quite easily with the 5....using Siri. Nyuk nyuk.

I don't mean to be sarcastic (OK, yes I do :p) but I guess I don't see this as large of a deal as you do. I've got my iPhone 4 with me; my thumb does move towards the upper left hand corner on the 4 a bit easier, it is true, but I can still easily type and touch the upper left hand corner.

I tend to hold my phone in 'one handed mode' with my pinky supporting the bottom, and my other fingers along the back. To touch the upper left hand corner, I simply slid my three fingers supporting the back along the back of the 5 a bit - maybe halfway. In fact, the fact that the 5 now has an aluminum back makes it EASIER for me to do that 'sliding' thing than it was on the 4.

To each their own, however. *shrug*

PeterKG

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
I'm really curious. It is plainly obvious that you and the many others who have just joined and post these negative iPhone 5 comments have an agenda. It must work because you have pages of responses. There is no way you are some "skinny teenager" who has owned every iPhone, but instead a grown adult.

Since only the most idiot of people who participate in these children's forums fall for these posts, and those of course are your target audience, who do you work for? Is it a company that hires people to post to cause conflict on any number of products? Or do you work for Samsung directly since that is the product you are promoting?

I think that is a much more interesting topic than your choreographed posts. Just let us know. It won't matter because all these threads and these forums are destined for the sewer anyway. Your employees would probably never know you gave up a business practice aimed at negativity. Oh, and in between product releases, do you write on other topics too, such as political races, union backed causes, or political party agendas? :confused:

appleattack

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
No. As I stated, it would be a waste of effort because clearly, there's no swaying your opinion, and those who agree with me and also have no issue using the phone with one hand will doubtlessly have no need to see video of me doing something they themselves do dozens of times per day. But really, it's all about each individual's personal experience. If it's uncomfortable for YOU to use, then don't use it. No need to make a big production out of it. Personally, it's absolutely fine and perfectly comfortable for me to use; I scarcely notice a difference in how I use it as compared to my 4S, so I will continue to use and love it.

Of course... we'll take your word for it ;)

----------

It can also be done quite easily with the 5....using Siri. Nyuk nyuk.

I don't mean to be sarcastic (OK, yes I do :p) but I guess I don't see this as large of a deal as you do. I've got my iPhone 4 with me; my thumb does move towards the upper left hand corner on the 4 a bit easier, it is true, but I can still easily type and touch the upper left hand corner.

I tend to hold my phone in 'one handed mode' with my pinky supporting the bottom, and my other fingers along the back. To touch the upper left hand corner, I simply slid my three fingers supporting the back along the back of the 5 a bit - maybe halfway. In fact, the fact that the 5 now has an aluminum back makes it EASIER for me to do that 'sliding' thing than it was on the 4.

To each their own, however. *shrug*

Right... slide, readjust the hand... it's a bit awkward. I wonder if I'll get used to it. My point is that if I'm going to have to do that... an even larger screen might be the ticket. The HTC One X has a gorgeous screen. It's a mobile powerhouse. That large screen, especially on the road, is pretty awesome. But because Android sucks so bad here I am.

Lumia 920 anyone? Well, WP isn't that hot either...

----------

I'm really curious. It is plainly obvious that you and the many others who have just joined and post these negative iPhone 5 comments have an agenda. It must work because you have pages of responses. There is no way you are some "skinny teenager" who has owned every iPhone, but instead a grown adult.

Since only the most idiot of people who participate in these children's forums fall for these posts, and those of course are your target audience, who do you work for? Is it a company that hires people to post to cause conflict on any number of products? Or do you work for Samsung directly since that is the product you are promoting?

I think that is a much more interesting topic than your choreographed posts. Just let us know. It won't matter because all these threads and these forums are destined for the sewer anyway. Your employees would probably never know you gave up a business practice aimed at negativity. Oh, and in between product releases, do you write on other topics too, such as political races, union backed causes, or political party agendas? :confused:

Will this help you to see outside your little world to other people outside of this place thinking and feeling the exact same thing as me about the iPhone 5? In other words, it's not just me.

A quick search of Twitter will reveal many others saying it's too skinny and tall. We get it! That's our opinion! We should take it back!

Do you see what you all keep doing. If it's an opinion that doesn't agree with yours, then it's, "Why do you post here! It's YOUR opinion!" And then if someone has an opinion that is in agreement with all of yours, nothing is said. In other words, you're contradictory and confused.

This is a place to post opinions. Nobody cares whether you agree with them or not.

Kung

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006
Right... slide, readjust the hand... it's a bit awkward.

In the sense that you could technically touch the upper right hand side of the screen without moving the fingers along the back, sure, I'll admit it's 'a bit awkward' as compared to the 4. That being said, I've had my iPhone 5 for about a week now, and I'm used to it already. *shrug* For those times that I'm in a situation where it's a bit TOO awkward to type one-handed (e.g., walking onsite to do a work order), I just use Siri; or I wait.

I understand your point about going with an even larger phone if you have to deal with one that's already uncomfortable....and I suppose that's your prerogative. I guess, for me, going with ANY phone is a series of tradeoffs; and when I evaluate a product for my personal usage (both as just a regular guy and as a civil service IT specialist), I determine which aspects are primary for me - which ones are absolutely most important.

For me personally, it's ease of use, integration with what I already use, and quality/reliability. The iPhone (even considering the current problems) handily wins on all accounts as far as I am concerned. Your mileage may vary, I guess. :)

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
The iPhone 5 is larger than the iPhone 4S. This is indisputable.

iPhone 4S: 4.5" high
iPhone 5: 4.87" high

The iPhone is thus physically larger than the iPhone 4S. Anyone who denies this is a troll or completely delusional.

I believe they will shrink the wasted space at the top and bottom and reduce the height back to 4.5" when they redesign it in two years (for the iPhone 6), keeping the same 4" screen. Until then, it's just something to get used to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.