Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does this 4k@120hz tweak work for you?

• Yes

Votes: 170 84.6%
  • No

Votes: 18 9.0%
  • Can not get the right Adapter

Votes: 13 6.5%

• Total voters

Ennnn

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2024
Here are two screenshots from the device manager.

Unfortunately, I don't have another device w/ usb-c video support. :/
Hey, any luck getting it to work? I’m considering buying one of these delivered before the weekend but don’t want to shell out 70€ if we can’t update through parallels. There was something in the initial post about activating usb ports or something. Hopefully there’s a way!

he7den

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2024
Hey, any luck getting it to work? I’m considering buying one of these delivered before the weekend but don’t want to shell out 70€ if we can’t update through parallels. There was something in the initial post about activating usb ports or something. Hopefully there’s a way!
I didn't have any luck. :(
Within the next day I'll hpoefully have a chance to update the firmware using a laptop w/ Windows installed and support for USB-C as video out.

I gave up on parallels, but I'll be happy to give it another try if someone can provide information of what I've might been missing.

Reactions: Ennnn

Ennnn

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2024
I didn't have any luck. :(
Within the next day I'll hpoefully have a chance to update the firmware using a laptop w/ Windows installed and support for USB-C as video out.

I gave up on parallels, but I'll be happy to give it another try if someone can provide information of what I've might been missing.
Maybe trying UTM for virtualisation might work or VMware. I’ve ordered the adapter for Friday so hopefully I can get one of these options to work.

buzzzer

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2024
Hi guys.
I still have some problems after the sleeping mode (CM 201388-A (flashed with firmware 7.02.112 on a PC))

After wakeup, the Adapter doesn´t work. When I try to Reset the adapter via BetterDisplay, the Macbook freeze. I´ve installed this tool, but not sure in which folder I have to copy it: https://github.com/waydabber/vmm7100reset

When I dis- and reconnect the adapter, I have strange output on the LG OLED, since I change the Hz to 60 instead of 120.

Any idea?

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
There so many windows users out there, someone can help u ;)

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
I live remotely but I’ll update tomorrow if UTM works :)

I have an old windows laptop but without usb c.
I buy a Surface Pro Go only for those things. There are some cases only windows machines can help.

Ennnn

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2024
I buy a Surface Pro Go only for those things. There are some cases only windows machines can help.
Oh for sure, I’ve had routers I needed to flash and that’s why I keep the old bulky windows laptop around. Funny enough, in the past I’ve never had tech problems like these kinds of things where a Mac was called for but all my family are Apple all-in.

Im doing all this mainly for getting GeForce now at 120hz 4k on my tv. They released Vrr today for it too but I know the adapters don’t support this so maybe a mini pc down the line when AV1 and 4k120 is rock solid stable. Would be amazing if a new Apple TV with an iPhone 14 Pro chip would do AV1 4k120 but even then Nvidia would have to release the app and I don’t think they’ll do this before an updated shield with whatever chip the switch 2 is gonna get and looks like that’s delayed until 2025.

stevemr123

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Hi guys.
I still have some problems after the sleeping mode (CM 201388-A (flashed with firmware 7.02.112 on a PC))

After wakeup, the Adapter doesn´t work. When I try to Reset the adapter via BetterDisplay, the Macbook freeze. I´ve installed this tool, but not sure in which folder I have to copy it: https://github.com/waydabber/vmm7100reset

When I dis- and reconnect the adapter, I have strange output on the LG OLED, since I change the Hz to 60 instead of 120.

Any idea?
Hi Buzzer,

Well, VMM700 support is somewhat experimental but the MacBook should not freeze. Are you using the latest app version? I can try help debugging the issue if you hop onto the app's Discord channel.

Regarding the vmm7100reset tool, you can copy it wherever you want to test if it works (you can run it from your Downloads folder for example). But please note that this tool won't reconnect the display (only BetterDisplay does that) so even if you reset the adapter with the vmm7100reset, you'll probably need to power cycle the display anyway - so this solution is limited.

Reactions: buzzzer

buzzzer

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2024
Hi Buzzer,

Well, VMM700 support is somewhat experimental but the MacBook should not freeze. Are you using the latest app version? I can try help debugging the issue if you hop onto the app's Discord channel.

Regarding the vmm7100reset tool, you can copy it wherever you want to test if it works (you can run it from your Downloads folder for example). But please note that this tool won't reconnect the display (only BetterDisplay does that) so even if you reset the adapter with the vmm7100reset, you'll probably need to power cycle the display anyway - so this solution is limited.
Do I need to copy the vmm7100reset tool on my Mac? Or ist it BuiltIn in BetterDisplay?

I purchased a license last Friday and updated to the last version.
Since Friday it works. keep fingers crossed :)

he7den

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2024
Update*

UTM, VmWare, Parallels, Crossover all do not work when patching the new CM 201310
Same for me, I've tested Parallels Desktop and UTM, no luck.

Today I've got my hands on a friends pc w/ usb-c video out and I was able to flash the CM 201310-BLK flawlessly. It's been just minutes after plugging it in. I connected the adapter and his monitor using the HDMI port, that's all it took hardware wise.

Can confirm now my display is working w/ 144 Hz. Super satisfied.

Reactions: testerster

Ennnn

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2024
Same for me, I've tested Parallels Desktop and UTM, no luck.

Today I've got my hands on a friends pc w/ usb-c video out and I was able to flash the CM 201310-BLK flawlessly. It's been just minutes after plugging it in. I connected the adapter and his monitor using the HDMI port, that's all it took hardware wise.

Can confirm now my display is working w/ 144 Hz. Super satisfied.
Yeah, unfortunately I’ve tried everything under the sun on the Mac side of things to get it going. Cablematters have also advised me that a windows computer is needed for this one.

sooth

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2006
For anyone searching, I've tried the VMM1700 with the new Dell 120hz 5k2k U4025QW and it does not appear to work. I get the resolution, but only 30hz 😭

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
For anyone searching, I've tried the VMM1700 with the new Dell 120hz 5k2k U4025QW and it does not appear to work. I get the resolution, but only 30hz 😭

Have u tried using latest stock firmware for the VMM7100 and then edit the EDID to use DP-transportstream? I think that will be work. Alternative u can test this Stock Firmware attached for test. But u have to use ure own EDID with BetterDisplay.

Attachments

• STOCK FIRMWARE-VMM-7100-CM_7.02.130forMac.fullrom.zip
    249 KB · Views: 44

Katert

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2017
I flashed the 201428-gry (HDMI+USB C with Power Delivery) with the VMM7100 and I bricked it, so don't do it.
I can't seem to recover it, not even with the app from Windows store :/

That sucks. Did you ever found a solution to this?

Katert

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2017
If any of you still have an Intel-based Mac laying around with USB-C ports, then install Windows through Boot Camp. I was able to flash my dongle and didn't need an actual non-Apple Windows machine!

gregts

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2024
If any of you still have an Intel-based Mac laying around with USB-C ports, then install Windows through Boot Camp. I was able to flash my dongle and didn't need an actual non-Apple Windows machine!
Registered mostly to thank the OP @AironMan (plus everyone else who contributed to this post) for their tireless efforts to get this working! Plus a BIG thanks to you for this post, as it reminded me to install BOOTCAMP on my older Intel based laptop for the flash.

I had tried multiple times to "add" my adapter to Parallels (v.19) instead of adding it to my Mac, as per this post, and use it to flash though Windows but never got it to work... Same problem, again using VmmHIDTool, on my windows PC, always an error message about the adapter not available or smth. Bootcamp did the job perfectly though!

I am currently running 120Hz on all resolutions but haven't managed to get 10bpc or HDR working.
I don't even get an option to change color depth in better display (I have the pro version).
Green button 5 times on LG shows: 120HZ, FIXED, 3840 X 2160P@120, YCBCR444 8b 4L8 SDR.

I am using a Cable Matters 201428-GRY adapter (the one with the 100W PD) on my 2021 MacBook Pro M1 Pro 16", flashed with the firmware Cable Matters support sent me (Spyder_fw_DP_CM_7.02.112_MacOS 4K120Hz 201428.fullrom) and I am connected via a 8K HDMI cable to a 48" LG C2 (PC mode enabled in dashboard), using game optimizer profile, Freesync Premium enabled.

Is this a hardware limitation or does it have to do with any settings within Better Display?

Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 6.28.03 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 6.28.14 PM.jpg

Katert

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2017
Registered mostly to thank the OP @AironMan (plus everyone else who contributed to this post) for their tireless efforts to get this working! Plus a BIG thanks to you for this post, as it reminded me to install BOOTCAMP on my older Intel based laptop for the flash.

I had tried multiple times to "add" my adapter to Parallels (v.19) instead of adding it to my Mac, as per this post, and use it to flash though Windows but never got it to work... Same problem, again using VmmHIDTool, on my windows PC, always an error message about the adapter not available or smth. Bootcamp did the job perfectly though!

I am currently running 120Hz on all resolutions but haven't managed to get 10bpc or HDR working.
I don't even get an option to change color depth in better display (I have the pro version).
Green button 5 times on LG shows: 120HZ, FIXED, 3840 X 2160P@120, YCBCR444 8b 4L8 SDR.

I am using a Cable Matters 201428-GRY adapter (the one with the 100W PD) on my 2021 MacBook Pro M1 Pro 16", flashed with the firmware Cable Matters support sent me (Spyder_fw_DP_CM_7.02.112_MacOS 4K120Hz 201428.fullrom) and I am connected via a 8K HDMI cable to a 48" LG C2 (PC mode enabled in dashboard), using game optimizer profile, Freesync Premium enabled.

Is this a hardware limitation or does it have to do with any settings within Better Display?

View attachment 2360090 View attachment 2360091

I have the 201428-GRY adapter as well. Whatever you do, DON'T flash it with the USB-C > HDMI VM7100 firmware referred to in the guide. It will brick your adapter. I didn't even succeed to get 444 working. I only had 4K 120Hz @ 422 8b. Without HDR that is.

Reactions: gregts

gregts

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2024
I have the 201428-GRY adapter as well. Whatever you do, DON'T flash it with the USB-C > HDMI VM7100 firmware referred to in the guide. It will brick your adapter. I didn't even succeed to get 444 working. I only had 4K 120Hz @ 422 8b. Without HDR that is.
Yeah, I had seen the other post above and didn't attempt it but thanks for the heads up anyway buddy.
So can someone else also confirm that the best this specific adaptor (201428-GRY) can do is 120Hz @422 8pbc without HDR?

Also, the strange this is that it doesn't even show the color depth option even when I go down to 60Hz.

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
157 guys has flashed it already without any problem. Ure problem is that u flashed an Adapter that are not supported. If u need PD u have to use this one:

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021

View attachment 2360090 View attachment 2360091

Ure problem is that u flashed an Adapter that are not supported. If u need PD u have to use this one:

gregts

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2024
Ure problem is that u flashed an Adapter that are not supported. If u need PD u have to use this one:

What do you mean not supported? 10bpc is not supported or not supported at all?

Because I used the firmware Cable Matters support sent me specifically for my model (201428-GRY).
Also just want to add the their support is excellent, I am blown away by how fast they respond!

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
What do you mean not supported? 10bpc is not supported or not supported at all?

Because I used the firmware Cable Matters support sent me specifically for my model (201428-GRY).
Also just want to add the their support is excellent, I am blown away by how fast they respond!
This adapter does not work well, i say that a lot of times, we now that since the beginning writing this thread. Thats the reason why its lot listet in the OP

Reactions: gregts
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.