Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does this 4k@120hz tweak work for you?

• Yes

Votes: 167 85.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 8.7%
  • Can not get the right Adapter

Votes: 12 6.1%

• Total voters

gregts

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2024
This adapter does not work well, i say that a lot of times, we now that since the beginning writing this thread. Thats the reason why its lot listet in the OP
OK, gotcha, didn't notice that this was not on the list. I actually found this post AFTER I had purchased my adaptor.
I'm fine with buying another one but I would prefer that the adaptor has a PD input so I can use the left side of my M1 Macbook Pro.

The 201310-BLK you suggested above is a bit of an overkill for my needs but I would buy it if it works without EDID edits. The problem is that I can't find someone that sells it in Europe. Do any other manufacturers have a model with the same chipset?

Katert

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2017
157 guys has flashed it already without any problem. Ure problem is that u flashed an Adapter that are not supported. If u need PD u have to use this one:

It's not clearly mentioned in the opening post of this thread, that this particular model is not supported for flashing the firmware you shared in the step-by-step guide. Just a comment that there's no guarantee that other models with the VMM6100 or VMM7100 chip will work as well, but we can test and report. So I did, that was the intention of my comment :).

Katert

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2017
Anyway, I also ordered the 201388-A adapter, and I got 4K 120Hz RGB 444 10bit working, but without HDR. I'm also wondering if there's any way to fix this, or that it's still a bug/limitation caused by macOS Sonoma.

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
It's not clearly mentioned in the opening post of this thread, that this particular model is not supported for flashing the firmware you shared in the step-by-step guide. Just a comment that there's no guarantee that other models with the VMM6100 or VMM7100 chip will work as well, but we can test and report. So I did, that was the intention of my comment :).
Yes, I know, I had already considered whether I would keep a list of which adapters do not work. But that would be very time-consuming for me to maintain it, so I didn't want to start it. It is best to use the adapters that we have released in the OP. Now there is a suitable model for every case.

The best adapter without standby issues are 201310-BLK

Reactions: gregts and Katert

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
Anyway, I also ordered the 201388-A adapter, and I got 4K 120Hz RGB 444 10bit working, but without HDR. I'm also wondering if there's any way to fix this, or that it's still a bug/limitation caused by macOS Sonoma.
It's on Apple to fix this like the 8bit issues before. Plz also go to the Apple feedback site and claim this issue.

Reactions: Katert

Katert

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2017
For users that experience a downgrade from RGB 444 to ycbcr 422: re-enabling (just disabling and enabling) the HiDPI option in Betterdisplay is what brings it back for me.

Reactions: gregts

Katert

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2017
Yes, I know, I had already considered whether I would keep a list of which adapters do not work. But that would be very time-consuming for me to maintain it, so I didn't want to start it. It is best to use the adapters that we have released in the OP. Now there is a suitable model for every case.

The best adapter without standby issues are 201310-BLK
Yeah unfortunately Amazon doesn't sell that model here in The NL, otherwise I would've definitely bought that one

gregts

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2024
Through our continuous exchange, the very lovely people at Cable Matters have sent me a newer firmware (7.02.133) from the one they had initially sent me for my adapter (201428-GRY).

Either the newer firmware doesn't work any differently or I am missing a settings change on my system that is holding me back.

My TV only does 10b and HDR when in 60Hz, anything above that and the display reverts to 8b 🤷‍♂️

Capture3.JPG
IMG_4584.jpg
IMG_4585.jpg

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
Through our continuous exchange, the very lovely people at Cable Matters have sent me a newer firmware (7.02.133) from the one they had initially sent me for my adapter (201428-GRY).

Either the newer firmware doesn't work any differently or I am missing a settings change on my system that is holding me back.

My TV only does 10b and HDR when in 60Hz, anything above that and the display reverts to 8b 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 2360902 View attachment 2360903 View attachment 2360905
Don't use the newer Firmware it does not work correctly

Katert

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2017
It's not much, but if I set my refresh rate at 100Hz instead of 120Hz for my LG C2, I can set the resolution at 138% (2656 x 1949) RGB 10Bit with HDR on in BetterDisplay. For the time being and as long as there's no solution, it's pretty doable.

doopp

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2024
Hi @AironMan – I think you should add a note on the first post to highlight that flashing the firmware does NOT work through Parallels with CM 201310. Like other users since, I tried and failed in early Feb (see post here), you need an actual Windows machine with USB-C & Alt mode.

badgerfarmer

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2024
Do any of the docks / cables flashed or otherwise support 4k120 10bit HDR at 4:22 or 4:2:0 rather than the full 4:4:4 or is 10bit HDR just completely off limits at 4k120?

Last edited:

Fais Has

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2024
can some one confirm if we still can get 4k 120 HDR 10 on Sanoma MacOS 14.4 with cable matters dongle? I'm on 14.3.1 and is working fine. I don't want to update if it won't work 4k 120 HDR 10!

Jashi

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2023
can some one confirm if we still can get 4k 120 HDR 10 on Sanoma MacOS 14.4 with cable matters dongle? I'm on 14.3.1 and is working fine. I don't want to update if it won't work 4k 120 HDR 10!
It works exactly the same as on 14.3.1

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
HDR does not work when HiDPI is enabled. This is an Apple Bug/Feature, hopefully fixed by them in next updates.

lousansano2

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2024
Is anyone else experiencing an overscan issue like this? I am using the 201388-A adapter on an M1 Max MBP with an LG C3 42"

Sorry for the bad quality, internal screenshots do not show the issue. Not the end of the world since I hide the menu bar but it is noticeable sometimes
IMG_1634.jpeg

Fais Has

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2024
Is anyone else experiencing an overscan issue like this? I am using the 201388-A adapter on an M1 Max MBP with an LG C3 42"

Sorry for the bad quality, internal screenshots do not show the issue. Not the end of the world since I hide the menu bar but it is noticeable sometimes
View attachment 2361734
On your TV go to All Settings> General> OLED Care> OLED Panel Care> Screen Move> (turn it OFF)

Fais Has

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2024

View attachment 2361734
Also do this, Go to All Settenigs > Picture > Aspect Ratio > for user Selection (Original) and for Just Scan (ON)

lacker.eric

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2024
I purchased a CableMatters Hub with USB-C PD, HDMI, 1Gbit Ethernet, 2x USB-A 3.0 (Model-Number Cable Matters 201310-BLK) that is mentioned in the update in the OP and was able to flash it with the linked firmware. I now get 2k 240hz HDR from my Mac M1 Max to my OLED LG 27" monitor. I would suggest updating the OP, as the port on the Windows PC MUST be capable of DP Alt (Thunderbolt). The error you get if the port is not capable is "Can not find Synaptics MST DP hub IC". I ended up purchasing a cheap dell laptop in order to flash the Hub. Worked first try!

purfikt

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2017
Cleveland, TN
Really good news guys! I got an CableMatters Hub with USB-C PD, HDMI, 1Gbit Ethernet, 2x USB-A 3.0 that can be directly flashed to get 4k@120 YCBCR4:4:4 HDR. This will also solve all standby issue because its an active one. The Firmware ONLY FOR THIS MODEL are attached. I will update the OP with that new one.

The hub is this one:

Model-Number Cable Matters 201310

Hmmm, I mentioned that I got the firmware for the 201310 from CM and flashed it back in January...

That being said, I am still having wake from sleep issues with the CM 201310. Not that big of a deal- I just unplug and replug and it works- but it is a bit of an annoyance. Would installing BetterDisplay help fix this issue? Any other reasons to install BetterDisplay for using this adapter?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.