Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I mainly use DropBox to sync files between my iMac and MBA. I have created an Automator action that will sync my Documents folder with a documents folder I created to my DropBox folder, meaning that if I save a document on my iMac, it will be synced to my MBA immediately. I find this to be very useful as I often tend to jump back and forth between these two computers. Since DropBox can be accessed through a browser, I can easily work on an assignment at school as well and then continue working on it at home.

So far, 2GB has been enough for me as I only use it for documents. A very good service IMO. Wouldn't mind some competition though, DB's prices are quite hefty.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
You definitely don't have enough friends to get more than 4 GB from referrals, so I guess your method will remain a mystery. :p
HA! and how do you know!?

nah, its cheating. create a VM - make a snapshot - install DB - use the link from your account to create an account (giving you 250MB), rinse, repeat. then provide an .edu domain email and you get 2x as much :)

I mainly use DropBox to sync files between my iMac and MBA. I have created an Automator action that will sync my Documents folder with a documents folder I created to my DropBox folder, meaning that if I save a document on my iMac, it will be synced to my MBA immediately. I find this to be very useful as I often tend to jump back and forth between these two computers. Since DropBox can be accessed through a browser, I can easily work on an assignment at school as well and then continue working on it at home.

So far, 2GB has been enough for me as I only use it for documents. A very good service IMO. Wouldn't mind some competition though, DB's prices are quite hefty.

this is a very good idea! mind sending me your automator? :)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location

Is there a reason why you don't just keep that folder in Dropbox?

I'm just keeping all work-related stuff in my DropBox at the moment, which means mostly documents. I'm using a lot of space, but apparently, it's only 37% of 2 GB (around 750 MB). :) My work folder is now in DropBox, so I don't even have to sync anything.

Yours is still an interesting method, though. If I was about to go over the 2 GB limit, perhaps that's what I'd do.

I'd be willing to pay for DropBox, but only if I could get around 10 GB worth. I don't need EVERYTHING sync'ed.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Is there a reason why you don't just keep that folder in Dropbox?

I guess it's just my obsession to keep things organized :p Movies in movies folder, music is music folder and documents in documents folder. My documents only take like 100MB so having duplicates isn't a big problem.

Oh and to add one thing. My whole documents folder isn't synced as it contains stuff like VMs which take nearly 15GB. I have folders such as school work which are synced with their counterparts in the DropBox folder.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I guess it's just my obsession to keep things organized :p Movies in movies folder, music is music folder and documents in documents folder. My documents only take like 100MB so having duplicates isn't a big problem.

Oh and to add one thing. My whole documents folder isn't synced as it contains stuff like VMs which take nearly 15GB. I have folders such as school work which are synced with their counterparts in the DropBox folder.

as soon as i get a new Mac i ALWAYS create a "stuff" folder in / - then i put everything in there. makes it easier to read/write later on down the track for other users, and its just how i do it. so there is /stuff/Documents in there :)

how did you get on getting extra space?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.