Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
You do know smaller phones have less internal space, right?

Well actually, it's not as simple as that is it? A larger phone, with a larger screen, needs a larger battery, so there's certainly not a one to one correlation between screen size increase and available space inside the shell.

You're also assuming that this new camera will be significantly bigger than the standard type, when the whole point is making a camera that improves quality while staying tiny.

Now the camera may indeed be a little bigger than a normal one, and there may indeed be spare space in the bigger phone that there isn't in the smaller one, but whether these two factors are true to the extent that Apple couldn't get the new camera in the smaller phone and maintain a decent quality, who knows?

I don't know, and I doubt you know either. I'm guessing they could and have chosen not to (assuming the rumours are accurate), you may guess otherwise if you wish, though I suspect your lack of inclination to believe that Apple might put profit ahead of concern for what certain amongst us would like speaks of a little naivety on your part.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
but they are comparing it to an iphone 5 which had no where near the camera of the 6S as it is

diipii

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
UK

Earlier today, reputable KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said the iPhone 7 Plus will likely have a dual-lens camera system based on technology Apple acquired from LinX Imaging. The new hardware could lead to some significant improvements in camera quality on Apple's next flagship smartphone.

LinX's multi-aperture cameras pack impressive image quality in a smaller size than single aperture cameras, meaning the iPhone 7 Plus may lack a protruding camera lens and be able to take SLR-quality photos -- think Canon or Nikon. The camera modules are also capable of very interesting technology called 3D depth mapping and more.

We previously provided an in-depth look at LinX's camera modules after Apple acquired the company, but it is worth recapping some of the major advantages of their technology, given today's iPhone 7 Plus rumor.

Noise Reduction

The images captured by the LinX camera are brighter and clearer, with significantly reduced noise levels, compared to smartphone cameras. Available detail when zoomed into a photo was also much greater, as can be seen in the comparison below. View this PDF for more side-by-side image comparisons.

linxlownoise-800x424.jpg

Improved Indoor Photos

In the photo below, the image was taken in mid-levels of light, at approximately 40 to 50 lux, similar to a decently well-lit room in a house or restaurant. The LinX sensor let in more light than the iPhone 5 or the Samsung Galaxy S4, for a photo that is clearer and sharper with less noise.

indoor40luxlightinglinx-800x405.jpg

Improved Low Light Photos

LinX technology is able to significantly improve low light performance by using multiple channels to increase the sensitivity of the camera for better detail. It also keeps exposure times short to cut down on the motion blurring that can impact photo quality in conditions where lighting is not optimal.

linxlowlighting1lux-800x210.jpg

LinX technology doesn't have to compromise between pixel size and resolution, as it can use small pixels but still let in adequate amounts of light.

3D Depth Mapping

linxpointmapping-800x519.jpg

LinX's multi-aperture cameras can create detailed depth maps of objects. With depth information on a per-pixel basis along with RGB information, LinX cameras can create 3D point clouds of objects from a single frame or a complete 3D model by combining several frames captured from different angles.

3D depth mapping has a number of useful applications, including 3D scanning of objects, sizing of objects, background removal and replacement and gesture recognition. The depth maps also allow for improved refocusing; by knowing the depth at every pixel, the feature allows for a synthetic blur to be applied that emulates a shallow depth.

Benefits Overview

- Better color accuracy and uniformity
- HDR - higher dynamic range
- UHDR - ultra high dynamic range
- Low noise levels
- Higher resolution

- Low module costs
- No Autofocus for modules of up to 20MP
- Zero shutter lag
- Small size allows for slim devices and edge-to-edge displays

Read A Look at LinX Camera Technology for more details about the dual camera systems.

Article Link: Dual Camera iPhone 7 Plus Could Offer 'DSLR-Like' Quality, 3D Depth Mapping

Interesting using 2 lenses and 2 sensors. I ask why not 1 lens with 2, even 3 sensors? Video cameras have done this for a very long time. Maybe lack of space in the ever skinnier cases.

JeffreyNewland

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2015
Could be a deciding factor for me on whether to upgrade or not. Can't see them limiting it to just the Plus versions or else all hell would break loose.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Well actually, it's not as simple as that is it? A larger phone, with a larger screen, needs a larger battery, so there's certainly not a one to one correlation between screen size increase and available space inside the shell.

You're also assuming that this new camera will be significantly bigger than the standard type, when the whole point is making a camera that improves quality while staying tiny.

Now the camera may indeed be a little bigger than a normal one, and there may indeed be spare space in the bigger phone that there isn't in the smaller one, but whether these two factors are true to the extent that Apple couldn't get the new camera in the smaller phone and maintain a decent quality, who knows?

I don't know, and I doubt you know either. I'm guessing they could and have chosen not to (assuming the rumours are accurate), you may guess otherwise if you wish, though I suspect your lack of inclination to believe that Apple might put profit ahead of concern for what certain amongst us would like speaks of a little naivety on your part.

I believe they might put profit first. I know they do put profit first. I just don't see this as being one of those times. Maybe eventually they'll add in some feature that only the Plus has, and I hope they do, and keep one great feature that makes sense for the bigger size. Right now, it's just battery and screen.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
I still don't understand Apple's reasoning for giving only the plus series all the camera goodies.

Even though I prefer the plus sized iphones, I think apple is cheaping out by excluding 4.7 iphones from having certain camera features.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
So friggin annoying...why are they comparing to the 5s instead of the a new 6s. Probably because there is not much of a noticeable difference.

Those photos are by Linx from before Apple bought them, so they're old photos.

moxxham

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I'm a photographer and hearing that it could prouduce DSLR quality photos in an iPhone is just cringeworthy.

Yes, it would be incredible to have that capability, and an upgraded camera is only a good thing. But comparing it to DSLR is just plain marketing crap.

But it is nowhere near close to 35mm frame sensors, Song A7S lowlight capabilities, colour accuracy, megapixel count, lens options etc.

I am keen to see what Apple does come up with if this actually becomes a reality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.