Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
And why not? I've sold every phone from the 3g, 3GS, IP4, IP4S, iP5, and the IP5S. All for $200-$250 more than the phones cost on the upgrade plan ($199-$299). If you truly believe that Apple will sell one phone less during the year if you only upgrade every year and this will save the planet, I can understand that. I don't and as long as the after market will pay these prices for a one year old phone, I'm on board with it.
Because it's not about the money or having the latest device for me. It's about using what I like - and keeping what I like. I put my old devices to work with new uses and I still get to continue to use and enjoy them while using a later phone as my primary phone.

And if someone I know needs a phone, I have one to give.

I get something back from using the device that is more valuable to me.

Reactions: macbug

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
Unfortunately not, Apple began selling unlocked iPhone 6 & iPhone 6 Plus January 6th this year. I don't expect Apple to repeat, I expect Apple to allow both carrier contract as well as unlocked option on Pre-Order date.

for the "official" unlocked phone, you're talking about the one that did not come with a sim preinstalled out of the box. But on launch day you could buy a full price 'verizon' or 't-mobile' phone and it was a factory unlocked device. the only difference with the one you're talking about is it had a few extra bands for use outside the united states, and it didn't come with a sim installed.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Only if the 6s Plus is gonna have 2GB of RAM and a better SoC (rumor is the A9 is gonna be a repackaged A8X which would be perfect. It's not that the 6 Plus is bad, but they certainly should have given it better specs then they did.

I can do this though without buying the phone outright thanks to Verizon Edge. One of my family members on our Share Everything Plan doesn't mind being one phone behind. The current plan is I use the phone for the first year, pass it to them, then when I upgrade the following year I get the old phone back and put it in to my 'museum'. They'll get my 6 Plus, I'll take back their 5s, I'll have the 6s Plus then. Next year, cycle repeats. Works out good cause then it keeps everyone current.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I'll have to see what the improvements are in the new model but I'll only dump my 6 plus for a 6S Plus.

livestronger

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2010
Hey guys,

As the title states, any plus users switching back to the 4.7' once the 's' series is released?

I've had the plus since launch and even though I love the clarity, ppi and battery life, the size is very uncanny and uncomfortable to hold and pocket as I continue to use it.

When the 6s is released I may revert to the 6 for size and convenience on the go

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
All things being equal, I'd like to downsize on the 6s, and I very well may do that, but after spending my money on the  watch I may have to hold off on this expenditure.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I am on the fence. But I'm sure there are others that have a 6 and are considering a 6S plus. Not sure there is much to discuss here...

edmtechnole

Suspended
Sep 24, 2014
NYC
I did make the switch. I was excited to get the 6 Plus at launch and used it from October through July, but it started hurting my hand trying to use it one handed and I was accustomed to doing the one hand screen reach. I ended up selling it and getting the iPhone 6 instead.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I was initially a little awkward about the 6 Plus size when I first got it, but it's something I've gotten used to, to the point where smaller sizes seem a lot harder to use. Now, no plans here to downgrade. The 6 Plus won me over on larger screens.

It's definitely my limit on phone size though. Anything larger and I may as well be carrying an iPad mini.

edmtechnole

Suspended
Sep 24, 2014
NYC
couldnt wait the 2 months for a 6s?
Nope lol. I ended up selling my 6 Plus outright and signed up for the Jump on Demand promo price with T-Mobile so the pricing was a win-win situation instead of waiting for the 6s to come out and losing a few hundred more dollars when selling my 6 Plus.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Absolutely not. Before getting the 6 plus I used a succession of Samsung Galaxy phones with screen sizes of 5 inches plus, including the note line. Every time I would switch from the current note series to the current S series device I'd always regret it because of the step down in screen size. So 4.7 inches would be too small for me. I've been using larger screened phones since 2012 with phablets being my favourite. I wouldn't even mind if Apple increased the size of the 6S plus which I know they won't do. The nexus 6 looks so powerful but I doubt that Apple will make a phone that size.

Last edited:

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
I haven't made a decision yet. I currently use a 6+ and a Note 4. I'd love to downsize to 6 as it feels more practical. I will wait till after the announcement to make a decision.

Reactions: Broadus

Broadus

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC
This has been a conundrum since Apple came out with the larger phones. I've been watching from the sidelines, still using my 4S and intending to upgrade to the anticipated 6S.

Personally, I'm leaning towards the 6S but am tempted to go with the 6S Plus, if the sizes remain as they are (I cannot imagine Apple changing them until perhaps the 7). I've about decided that whichever I choose I will wish I had gotten the other.

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
I started with the 6 and then went to the 6+. Went back and forth for weeks and now would not go back to the 6. Love the large screen and the images my 6+ take.

Agreed feel in love wit the 6+ the second I got it. The other half has a 6 to be fair do like the size, but I wouldn't go to it.

It will be this size I'd be getting from now on!

Broadus

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC
I personally would like a size between the two, but they can't please everyone. I think these two choices are good, even if a lot of us have trouble deciding between them.

Reactions: tejaykay

Darrensk8

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
I'm switching back. For me it's just too much phone. Once the bezels are shrunk down I'll definitely look at it again

Reactions: nj1266

Broadus

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC
I'm switching back. For me it's just too much phone. Once the bezels are shrunk down I'll definitely look at it again

I agree. If the overall size of the phone could be reduced, it would be an easier decision for me. By the time you put it in a case, the size is getting to be a real factor to me.

Nelliebee

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
New York
made a trade for a 6 with my sister. looking at unloading that one for a 6s. the plus series is just too big of a phone for me.

I started with a 6, then switched to a 6+ but am looking forward to downsizing to a 6s when its released. The 6+ is a magnificent phone its just too big for me. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.